Wow ! When did we all get so PO'd

Received a new archery magazine in the mail this evening. ALL but one picture I found the hunters looked PO'd with their critters. Even the photo's with the manly Turkey..... for crying out loud. If you are not out there being HAPPY, to just be out there hunting with a legal weapon in your hands (In America !!), why in the heck don't you miss an entire season like I had to last year and realize you have to grasp that happiness.
Get out of the way now while I climb off of this box:cool:

All smiles for me! Guess I never got the line of thought where you had to look tough instead of happy. Someone that takes their happiness to the extreme that I love watching is Fred Eichler. Now that dude gets excited!

Olydog09

Lil-Rokslider
It always cracks me up when I see guys looking all hard when posing with their kills. Does that make them a more serious game getter? I can understand some people just take crappy pics(me) and you are in the field and only take a picture or two. BUT a magazine spread with pictures should be all smiles for sure.

Its bleeding in from the waterfowl crowd.

Makes you look badass, or constipated.

You get more kewl points for wearing a black hoodie thats three sizes to big too.

Financial obligations forced me to pull the plug on my MT elk hunt last year. I sported the constipated look all year.

This year, I'll be in MT and WY for elk. One of the guys at work keeps suggesting that someone take me to the hospital because it's been more than a month and according to the disclaimer in the commercials you're supposed to seek medical attention for an erection lasting more than four hours.

Any pictures of me will be sporting a chit-eating grin that makes me look like a Muppet! I don't give a rat's azz about anyone thinking I'm kewl.

Lukem

WKR
I think part of it is that guys try to look tough, but the larger part is that we tend to let others quantify how much fun our hunting is. If we don't kill the biggest buck, we're disappointed. If we don't do it with the best new gear, we're disappointed. If somebody has a better story to tell than ours, we're disappointed. Many people don't enjoy hunting for what it is, too interested in one-upping, story telling and chest thumping.

amp713

WKR
Chris Brackett always looks serious and kinda pissed off but i tell you what that guy is always pumped and smiling when he kills something!!! I like the pissed off im in the moment serious face while hunting but if you arent pumped when you harvest an animal you are in the sport for the wrong reasons.....

I think part of it is that guys try to look tough, but the larger part is that we tend to let others quantify how much fun our hunting is. If we don't kill the biggest buck, we're disappointed. If we don't do it with the best new gear, we're disappointed. If somebody has a better story to tell than ours, we're disappointed. Many people don't enjoy hunting for what it is, too interested in one-upping, story telling and chest thumping.

If that's the case, those guys need to stop living their lives through the prism of other people. Enjoy the good times. Blow off what other people think, even if it comes to mopeds and fat chicks.

jm1607

WKR
I always joke with my friends that the reason I hunt is because I hate deer and won't rest till they are all exterminated. Then I go a step further and talk about how deer killed my parents when I was an infant and I have to avenge their deaths..

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've never really equated toughness (or looking tough) with or without a smile. I try to stay away from the permagrin......even living in CO.:)

Xtorminator

Lil-Rokslider
I know a few that have to look tough when they fill their tag. Me I've been accused of having the smile of death. I guess to each there own.

dotman

WKR
I've never really equated toughness (or looking tough) with or without a smile. I try to stay away from the permagrin......even living in CO.:)

Move to KS, the permagrin will sneak up on you :). I think most feel tough when they act pissed in the era of selfies and such, I say we all just make fun of them.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Move to KS, the permagrin will sneak up on you :). I think most feel tough when they act pissed in the era of selfies and such, I say we all just make fun of them.

If the MJ laden state of CO can't put as permagrin on me, I really doubt Kansas would.;)

I make fun of all selfies........every time I hear "selfie" all I can think of is someone giving themself a wedgy.

charvey9

WKR
I don't read hunting mags or watch it on TV so I'm not exactly sure of the pictures you are refferring to, but there are a couple ways to look at this.

I love hunting, and enjoy every moment when I'm out there. However, if you followed me around for a hunt I doulbt I'd smile much, and I certainly wouldn't have a shit eating grin on my face posing with a dead animal. I won't quote Fred Bear, but for me it really is a bittersweet moment when a hunt ends successfully. For one, your hunting is over. Its like the day after the superbowl when you realize football is over for the year. Second, and more importantly, you just took a life and should show some respect for it. I understand that things need to die in order for me to live, and as a hunter I'm proud that I am able to provide for myslef whenever possible. Its a natural thing, but I don't find entainment value in the killing.

Hunting photos in general are an interesting phenomenon. In any other walk of life, a person posing over something they killed (animal or otherwise) with a smile on their face would be considered sadistic. It is also something that has changed over time. Go back and look at old hunting photos, from a time when hunting was a way of life and not an entertainment industry. How many of those guys do you see smiling, fist pumping, and running around like idiots. Hunting was what it was, a means to provide food and connect with the outdoors. Here is a cool group to look at old hunting photos.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Old-hunting-photos/309912715786694

You can never actually tell what someone is thinking in a photo, so my only real problem with photos is fake emotion. I've got no problem if someone is happy about their success and skills as a hunter or if they are on the opposite end of the spectrum and are a bit stoic about the act of killing, as long as the emotion in the photo/video is true. If someone is trying to look like a bad ass or hopping around like an idiot because that is what they saw on TV, thats just lame. Better photos and memories will result if you are just true to yourself.

dotman

WKR
If the MJ laden state of CO can't put as permagrin on me, I really doubt Kansas would.;)

I make fun of all selfies........every time I hear "selfie" all I can think of is someone giving themself a wedgy.

Haha, ok ok your right it is the permafrown that will sneak up on you here :)

Received a new archery magazine in the mail this evening. ALL but one picture I found the hunters looked PO'd with their critters. Even the photo's with the manly Turkey..... for crying out loud. If you are not out there being HAPPY, to just be out there hunting with a legal weapon in your hands (In America !!), why in the heck don't you miss an entire season like I had to last year and realize you have to grasp that happiness.
Get out of the way now while I climb off of this box:cool:

You do have to realize that the writers have almost zero control of the pictures the editor chooses for their article. Some times they will want 70 plus pictures submitted and will only use 5 or so for an article.

I've been published 4 times and have always been disappointed with the pics that get used. For one bear hunting article I submitted 100 pics, 10 of those pictures were of me with the bear. 9 of those 10 were good pictures with me smiling, the last one was me with my eyes half closed and a frown on my face. Guess what one they used....

pacific-23

Lil-Rokslider
Some interesting points here. My dad would never allow his picture taken over a kill, said he felt it was one upping and disrespecting the animal. In fact, after thirty some years fishing salmon commercially, I helped him catch his first king on a pole-he couldn't stop smiling until I pulled the camera out. I enjoy pictures and have started taking a lot more of them (dead animals included). I won't claim I don't get excited at bringing an animal down, but there is some bittersweet to it as well. I think people can and do take the antics too far to both extremes; trying to look badass, or high fiving and jumping around like idiots. It's a very subjective personal thing, ask five people you'll have five different answers.

QUOTE=charvey9;202271]I don't read hunting mags or watch it on TV so I'm not exactly sure of the pictures you are refferring to, but there are a couple ways to look at this.

I love hunting, and enjoy every moment when I'm out there. However, if you followed me around for a hunt I doulbt I'd smile much, and I certainly wouldn't have a shit eating grin on my face posing with a dead animal. I won't quote Fred Bear, but for me it really is a bittersweet moment when a hunt ends successfully. For one, your hunting is over. Its like the day after the superbowl when you realize football is over for the year. Second, and more importantly, you just took a life and should show some respect for it. I understand that things need to die in order for me to live, and as a hunter I'm proud that I am able to provide for myslef whenever possible. Its a natural thing, but I don't find entainment value in the killing.

Hunting photos in general are an interesting phenomenon. In any other walk of life, a person posing over something they killed (animal or otherwise) with a smile on their face would be considered sadistic. It is also something that has changed over time. Go back and look at old hunting photos, from a time when hunting was a way of life and not an entertainment industry. How many of those guys do you see smiling, fist pumping, and running around like idiots. Hunting was what it was, a means to provide food and connect with the outdoors. Here is a cool group to look at old hunting photos.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Old-hunting-photos/309912715786694

You can never actually tell what someone is thinking in a photo, so my only real problem with photos is fake emotion. I've got no problem if someone is happy about their success and skills as a hunter or if they are on the opposite end of the spectrum and are a bit stoic about the act of killing, as long as the emotion in the photo/video is true. If someone is trying to look like a bad ass or hopping around like an idiot because that is what they saw on TV, thats just lame. Better photos and memories will result if you are just true to yourself.[/QUOTE]