Would you use this service? Sheep wagon or enclosed trailer camping on closed roads

Would you use a service like this to give you a solid camp for your hunt?

• I would not use this service.

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • I would use this service @ the daily base rental below. Please choose the max price you'd consider.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Base rental less than $50/day

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Base rental $50/day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Base rental $75/day

• Base rental $100/day

• Base rental over $100/day

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Guide

WKR
I have a friend with a ranch in South West Montana. In the summer he has a team of horses that gets used for certain dude type events that his wife puts on. He want to put them to work in the fall. Some roads get closed in the fall on National Forest lands. These are not gated roads but roads with signs that do not allow motorized vehicles during certain dates.

The idea is to rent a customer a trailer and use the team of horses to pull a sheep wagon or upgraded insulated enclosed trailer up a closed road to a customer chosen location (that is agreed upon as properly accessible for the trailer and the team) and then bring the trailer back out at the end of your rental period (can be no longer than 14 days and will have a minimum rental period). These could be no contact rentals where you show up to your chosen location and leave without ever seeing anyone or you could meet us and load your gear in the trailer to get it pulled into your location and then the team picks your trailer up at the end of your rental and brings your gear and game out at the end of your rental. Trailers will all come with 12v lights and will have the option of renting a generator to power 110v items that could be rented like a small microwave, electric grill like a Foreman Grill, toaster oven, or small electric heater for drying clothes. All trailers will have a small diesel heater for warmth and a backup propane heater to be used when not sleeping. Cooking gear will be on the renter. We are trying to keep it with no open flames inside the trailers for safety. Some trailers would sleep 2 (small minimalist unit), the majority would sleep up to 4 (minimalist and deluxe versions), and 1 that would be for 6 to 8 people (deluxe version but not able to get as far off the main road). Trailers would have a base rate and any additional options would add a daily rental fee.

If you decide that you want your camp moved to a new location, you could do that for an additional fee depending upon the rental period and logistics. A 4 day rental would be 0 moves, a 7 day would allow 1 move, and a 10 to 14 day would allow up to 2 moves.

Would you use a service like this to have a little cabin in the woods for your hunt?

lt would seem to me that this is basically providing a drop camp service, which in Idaho would require an Outfitter's services. I don't think anyone who wants to can provide a fully powered hunting camp wherever they want to in the national forest, then charge others to use it.

CMF

WKR
lt would seem to me that this is basically providing a drop camp service, which in Idaho would require an Outfitter's services. I don't think anyone who wants to can provide a fully powered hunting camp wherever they want to in the national forest, then charge others to use it.
I don't know the rules, but seems like you could rent this, hunting or not hunting. would you still need the outfitter service if not hunting?

I doubt I would ever use, but it would be situation-dependent, maybe with the wife and kids or in griz country. I definitely wouldn't pay more than 50/day, or I'd just backpack camp. I'd see a much bigger benefit if you were hauling meat out with the camp. I'd be worried about getting stuck in a dry hole and only would do this in an area I scouted.

OP
The Guide

The Guide

WKR
I know several people who rent out campers and drop them off at Forest Service camp grounds already spotted and ready to go who do not have outfitters licenses. 2 of them own RV dealerships and one is just a private party who rents out people's trailers when they aren't using them. I would definitely have to research that.

Jay

If you want sheep that are pretty, they’re available but expensive! Ugly sheep are free if you can catch them….

I might be tempted to use this service if the areas involved are really good hunting. Otherwise, I pretty much stick to hunting areas where there are no roads. I usually pay for a horse powered drop camp in a wilderness area.