Would you take this shot?

Bull elk, 42yds. Standing still and can only not see his rear quarter as the draw in shows. 90% clear between shooter and bull, only the tips of hemlock limbs at about 20yds partially blocking. No other elk interfering, a few to left about 10yds and 1 to right same distance.
3229f8ce5112868459da4b9adf552696.jpg

OP
P
I did, on Saturday. Saw arrow flying good, heard hit, like a pumpkin thump, he spun to his right and exit stage left with the rest over the edge of hill. I waited a few minutes called for help and started looking for blood. We never found any blood, wasn't raining, followed tracks all around for about 3 hours. I searched for an hour before other person showed up. Didn't find arrow anywhere. With no blood, figured no hit. But no arrow either if there was a deflection. Been back in twice looking for some resolution, checked ridges all around and Creek bottoms, no dead elk.

OP
P
Went in today and took another shot to check for deflection using my small game arrow, it flew straight and true and stick where the bull was standing. No deflection. Kinda frustrating.

miteybucs

FNG
Bull elk, 42yds. Standing still and can only not see his rear quarter as the draw in shows. 90% clear between shooter and bull, only the tips of hemlock limbs at about 20yds partially blocking. No other elk interfering, a few to left about 10yds and 1 to right same distance.
3229f8ce5112868459da4b9adf552696.jpg
Yes I would

Yes looks like a good shot to me as long as your shooting ability allows. Definetly an individual question for each person though.

Sled

WKR
you probably have a dead elk somewhere if your shot was in the vitals. did you hear any other noise besides the hollow hit? i've had tissue plug the hole more times than i've had clean blood trails. with a rifle and a bow.

btw, was that animal spinning to the shot sound or the hit?

OP
P
you probably have a dead elk somewhere if your shot was in the vitals. did you hear any other noise besides the hollow hit? i've had tissue plug the hole more times than i've had clean blood trails. with a rifle and a bow.

btw, was that animal spinning to the shot sound or the hit?
After the hit. I watched the arrow in flight, heard impact, he whirled and left.

Sometimes between fat and thick hair you won’t see blood for up to 50 yards. Easily further when the elk is running full speed. It’s time to grid search leaving no stone unturned. First 100 yards out then increase the search area by 50 yards at a time.

My buddy once put a Slick Trick lean through the heart and both lungs of an elk. Few spots of blood at the spot he was standing but nothing for a 100 yards. Then murder scene blood. If you take out their heart there is nothing to create the pressure to push the blood out.

Daniel0307

Lil-Rokslider
Yes on the shot... I’ve had two friends this year hit front shoulder blade, sounds like a thud, neither one killed it...