Would you keep a cow moose hide?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I suppose if I ended up with a hide in good condition. I’m usually cutting holes in them to help pull them away as I skin.

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Does a moose hide have to have a rug backer like a bear rug?

I drew a Maine cow tag.

Beendare

WKR
If you take the hair off, then fine.

The hair on those moose is wiry and up to 8" long....it would make a terrible hair on throw or rug...or anything else. It's nothing like an elk hide that is softer.

RMM

WKR
Does a moose hide have to have a rug backer like a bear rug?

I drew a Maine cow tag.
Bear hides dont have to have the backer. You're comparing a rug and a tanned hide. The rug is significantly more expensive.

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Bear hides dont have to have the backer. You're comparing a rug and a tanned hide. The rug is significantly more expensive.
OK, at the time I asked the question I was wondering about tanning styles and if the hide had to have a backer to work on the floor or couch.

If you were to roll up to a processor that offers taxidermy would you just give them the green hide and tell them you want it "soft tanned with hair" or something else?

RMM

WKR
OK, at the time I asked the question I was wondering about tanning styles and if the hide had to have a backer to work on the floor or couch.

If you were to roll up to a processor that offers taxidermy would you just give them the green hide and tell them you want it "soft tanned with hair" or something else?
I have two bears and my cow elk from PA done with just the hide tanned. I always told the taxidermist I just wanted the hide tanned with hair on and everything worked out great. Not sure I'd want to leave just a tanned hide on the floor although I'm sure it would be fine. I either nail it to the wall or lay it across the back of the couch

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I have two bears and my cow elk from PA done with just the hide tanned. I always told the taxidermist I just wanted the hide tanned with hair on and everything worked out great. Not sure I'd want to leave just a tanned hide on the floor although I'm sure it would be fine. I either nail it to the wall or lay it across the back of the couch
Got it thanks.

I'm new to taxidermy.

We tube skinned my first bear for a soft tan for the couch but then the taxidermist talked me out of it and into a rug because she said it would be top heavy and fall of the couch.

A moose hide would essentially become the couch and have more overhang.

You can have a tanned hide backed for pretty cheap. The taxidermy part of a bear rug is what adds up. I got a winter mtn goat hide tanned and backed that we would let our babies play/nap on because it was so well insulated. Now it just hangs over a chair.
IMG_8979.jpeg
Have a really pretty caribou that I had to tan, but it’s from early sept and they have less ridiculous guard hairs. Even so, it sits across the balcony rail and kids seem to need to rub it every time walking by and guard hairs go flying.

I have a musk ox and moose hide folded up in the garage that I fleshed and then removed hair. They’re waiting for a tan. Plan to make chainsaw chaps from the moose and a vest from the musk ox. Those are great options for the cow moose. Also, I’ve wanted to shoot a cow moose one of these years just so I can clean the skull and add a horn to make it look like a unicorn. Always wanted that for my garage!

We were shooting nerf darts at my two bear rugs last night and I was thinking to myself what a waste of money they were. Those memories will exist without a couple dust collecting eye sores hanging from the wall.

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I have a musk ox and moose hide folded up in the garage that I fleshed and then removed hair. They’re waiting for a tan. Plan to make chainsaw chaps from the moose and a vest from the musk ox.

When these projects are complete we need a photo of these garments worn together.