Would you do it?

I’m slightly conflicted, there is a large buck I’ve seen pretty regularly this year on public land but he lives about 200 yds off of a very busy highway where anybody driving by can see him in plain sight. Not an area known for producing big bucks but this one looks to be 170”+, and he is in just enough of an out of the way spot that it’s possible not too many people will be after him. Is it worth trying to chase the buck during archery, I pretty well know where he beds every day and I think I could slip in there and cut him off on his way to bed. I do worry about all the traffic going by and the potential for a hit deer to run a long ways(potentially right into the freeway?). Give it to me straight am I crazy to even attempt it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR

WKR
Maybe try to set up the shot right to where you eliminate the chance of him running towards the road. Make sure he is facing the other direction when hit and maybe position yourself between him and the road so if he does start heading that way you can spook him the other direction. Just a though. I'm not sure if I would do it or not but there is ways to do it to boost your chances of a clean recovery.

Fatcamp

WKR
Oh ya, I'd go after him. I would identify the most likely escape route and be set up there opening morning.

170 inch deer has been noticed.

OP
Andrew12gauge
Oh ya, I'd go after him. I would identify the most likely escape route and be set up there opening morning.

170 inch deer has been noticed.

You’re probably right, but it’s also an area I often see elk where people don’t believe me. Not a real game rich area so most don’t really look.

Stalker69

WKR
He says that he’s afraid of it running out into the traffic after he shoots it. Maybe no big deal to some, could cause a crash and kill some one. I believe that’s his concern, as it would be mine also. Some don’t try think ahead.

OP
Andrew12gauge
He says that he’s afraid of it running out into the traffic after he shoots it. Maybe no big deal to some, could cause a crash and kill some one. I believe that’s his concern, as it would be mine also. Some don’t try think ahead.

Aside from that concern which is actually slightly lesser than my other, this buck is also pretty visible if you’re looking and I do worry about Dick and Jane and their 3 kids on a road trip and suddenly there’s a buck running across the wide open with an arrow sticking out of him and blood pouring down his sides. Don’t wanna traumatize some city slickers, and turn them against hunting.

87TT

WKR
If the roadway is up hill from the deer, he will probably run down hill if hit good. If it’s downhill, then the odds are he will run that way and conflict could happen.

Stalker69

WKR
Man I would say early in the am or just before dark on maybe a day there’s not as much traffic, if your going to do it. He does not travel to water, or food ( away from road) ? And it’s amazing how unaware people really are. While traveling to different jobs I see deer, elk, antelope coyotes a lot. Co workers will be either driving ahead of me or behind me, and when we stop I ask did you those ( what ever they were) and 9 times out of 10 they didn’t even see them if they were standing 100 feet off the road. If they were bedded ( not moving) they never see a thing. And these are guys that hunt some what.

Last edited: