Would you Deny a FFL Transfer over this?

image000000.jpegcurrently trying to purchase a new Model 70 Super Grade and found this odd part of the stock and since I paid a pretty penny for it, it is bothering me a bit. Thoughts? Would you refuse a transfer?

Not sure if it is part of the wood grain or not but seems random.

Taudisio

WKR
I can see where you’re talking about. Any way to get another photo where the light is not reflecting right next to the possible blem?

Taudisio

WKR
If you paid enough with expectations of flawless wood and metal, and that is a flaw….. I would check their restocking fee, look for clauses from wherever you bought it regarding whitewashing or similar acts. I would also look it over real hard and try to determine if it may be repairable by yourself or a qualified woodworker. If you are not obligated to take it and it is flawed, hell yeah you can refuse the transfer.

Bluefish

WKR
Would depend if it’s a common model or a I have been looking for years for one. Common, I would refuse it and get a different one. If it was something that I had been looking for and could not find easily, time to negotiate a partial refund and get it fixed or live with it.

Macintosh

WKR
Id look at it in person first. Really hard to see what it is in the photo. It almost looks like a scuff in the finish—if so it might actually buff right out. Cliche’d as that sounds.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
I have no idea what is a reasonable expectation on these. That is a small flaw. It is a production rifle. I know they are expensive, but that is relative to other production rifles. Compared to a nationally renowned wood stock maker, I would bet the total cost of the rifle is less than what the stock would be.

I am in construction. We so various projects from light commercial to multi-million dollar high end custom homes and remodels. The expectation for quality in light commercial is abysmal due to the fact that nearly all projects are awarded to low bid. The expectation on high end stuff is to make the customer happy no matter how hard that happens to be (unless it turns out to be impossible, which it is with some people).

In the gun world, you appear to be somewhere in the middle. This looks like the wood chipped in the stock making. A high quality finish applicator could color match and fill this before clear coating and make it dissappear. I would say that would be the expectation for a stock where you are waiting for custom order product and shelling out $1k-2k for the stock. For what they are selling these for, the reasonable expectation is that you bought a nice piece of wood on a production rifle, with a production machined and finished stock. It doesn't appear that the finish is that well applied when I zoom in either.

If you plan to hunt with the rifle, you will either have to pay someone to keep repairing it, repair it yourself, or be fine with the use marks. If it is a safe queen thing, you have to decide if you want to roll the dice and get a different one, or have someone repair that one for a perfect finish.

If I was concerned about that kind of a flaw, I would want to drive around and pick it out in person before buying. I would not order one through the mail.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
If new production, and paying a price similar to what Midway USA has, no. It is a production rifle and priced like a production rifle. Even if paying north of $2K, no. If you want perfect wood, then drive around and look at them in person. But, ordering something, then returning over something like that is what I would consider difficult customer behavior. Pay custom prices, then you have a right to expect custom quality.

That is my take, given only because you asked for opinions.