Would you buy this scope?

4th_point

WKR
... At that point it's just a matter of how much development cost and time, how much time you need to buy inventory for and how quickly they need to pay for it, ie if the minimum order quantity will take 6 months to sell at their estimated rate of sales, can they afford to buy 6 months of inventory under whatever the payment terms of the buy are. It either is worth the risk or it isnt, but it aint my money so I say if they pull it off good on them.

All good points, Mac.

One of the bigger risks to address will be to determine whom will cover warranty claims and under what conditions. The brand/retailer or the manufacturer?

Especially if buyers feel that they have permission to push the durability and robustness claims.

36" drops will probably be just the start. Ad hoc tortures and what not.

That's a lot of risk to assume!

Axlrod

WKR
Let's see, if everyone on this thread actually bought what they promised to buy, about 150 scopes or so would be sold. Yeah, that's miniscule compared to the overall market no matter how you slice it.
What have you done to advance shooting/hunting? Test non-traditional bullets/calibers? Design from the ground-up a hunting stock? Test scopes to quantify which ones work?
Why do you care so much about how many they may sell? You don't have any skin in the game. I say let them ROK on! if it works it works. If not, no big deal.

My grandmother used to say "blowing out someone else's candle, doesn't make yours any brighter."

JGRaider

WKR
What have you done to advance shooting/hunting? Test non-traditional bullets/calibers? Design from the ground-up a hunting stock? Test scopes to quantify which ones work?
Why do you care so much about how many they may sell? You don't have any skin in the game. I say let them ROK on! if it works it works. If not, no big deal.

My grandmother used to say "blowing out someone else's candle, doesn't make yours any brighter."
I've got much more important things to do than that, quite frankly. I say more power to 'em too, FWIW.

I've seen this movie before over on 24HCF. Everyone wants one (in that case an S&B 6x) until it's time to write the checks, then not so much.
JG,
They had two large problems with the initial release of that PMII 6x42. The advertised design had a capped windage and it was going to be sub 20 oz. When the ship came in, the windage turret was not capped and when actually using the scope it tunneled badly. @JCMCUBIC and I both bought one and can testify. Doug took them back at his expense (S&B corrected the tunneling problem), I traded mine back for the proven 10x42 model while @JCMCUBIC got the improved 6x42 (and I believe still uses it - a lot).
Those initial problems also drove off sales, I don’t think Doug could have forecast those issues.

JGRaider

WKR
JG,
They had two large problems with the initial release of that PMII 6x42. The advertised design had a capped windage and it was going to be sub 20 oz. When the ship came in, the windage turret was not capped and when actually using the scope it tunneled badly. @JCMCUBIC and I both bought one and can testify. Doug took them back at his expense (S&B corrected the tunneling problem), I traded mine back for the proven 10x42 model while @JCMCUBIC got the improved 6x42 (and I believe still uses it - a lot).
Those initial problems also drove off sales, I don’t think Doug could have forecast those issues.
I believe you, but there were also many, many guys over there who said they'd buy one, then bailed when it was time to write the check, leaving Doug holding the bag. You've never seen him make an offer like this since no matter who the manufacturer, and I wouldn't either.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
JG,

That's correct. None of those were Doug's fault and I know he had a lot of headaches with the process. He handled them all gracefully.

After a lot of use (corrected version), it's my favorite scope for a light rifle, so much so that since that time I've special ordered 2 more through S&B.