Would you buy one of these?

JB.USMC

FNG
Hello all, I have made of few of these pieces of “fish art” for around the house. They are called “Gyotaku”. A friend of mine suggested I sell them on something like Etsy. I’m just trying to gauge if I might be able to pull that off. I thought they looked cool and gave it a shot on some recent catches. I really nit pick and the prints and just looking for honest feed back ( and to share them with fellow rocksliders ). My 4 year old was super excited to be able to add his bluegills to the art lol. So either way I’ll still be putting some on the wall.
Thanks all.

Attachments

• IMG_1915.jpeg
    IMG_1915.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_2012.jpeg
    IMG_2012.jpeg
    267.8 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_0147.jpeg
    IMG_0147.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 308
OP
JB.USMC

JB.USMC

FNG
I guess I should explain that I bring the fish home, lay them out in a position I like, cover them with squid ink (fish are still edible) and lay rice paper over the fish to capture the print.

Thanks.

OP
JB.USMC

JB.USMC

FNG
I wouldn't buy one, just not my style. But they would sell on Etsy or some other platform for sure. Nice work. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
Thank you man! I appreciate that feedback! I think Im going to give it a shot. Could used some extra $$ for the classifieds here hahaha. Plus its another excuse to get on the water and get after em!

grfox92

WKR
Thank you man! I appreciate that feedback! I think Im going to give it a shot. Could used some extra $$ for the classifieds here hahaha. Plus its another excuse to get on the water and get after em!
Yea I mean talk about a zero risk to start potential additional income. If they don't sell give them away to friends or family as gifts.

Edit: I would look into any way to boost your listing on whatever platform you put them on. Certain retail spaces allow you to pay a small fee to put your listing up top or one of the first to be seen when someone searches "Art" for example. Good luck.

mjh

Lil-Rokslider
I've done Gyotaku before.
Also play the ukulele........

I don't know what the start up costs are for Etsy and going from hobby to sales but your already invested in the time and materials as a hobby. Quality paper, quality inks/paints, attention to detail. Check online for sales of other Gyotaku works. How fast to they seem to sell. You might be limited by the kinds of fish you kind find in your local, or the fish in your local might not be regular Gyotaku subjects so something newer to genre.

Spouses cousin started photographing birds. He sells the photos as a side business. Some awards won. By all accounts he's doing well and making money at it.

I started leather working some years back. Made some investments in tools, time, learning. Sold some items. I found that going to the next level and actually making money at it was going to take a lot larger investment of time, tools, learning. I was able to pay for my materials from what I sold. I still make things for myself and sell something now and then but it's all pretty basic utilitarian useful to me kind of items--sheaths, pouches, arm guards, quivers , fixing older leather goods, plans for a quiver in the works.....

I say do some investigative work and if it looks even a little promising give it a shot. Maybe you'll earn enough for that hunting trip, or family vacation, or new bow, or new ukulele, or the kids college fund.......

I love the style of gyotaku, and have actually been looking at getting a piece. Gnarleyharley on instagram has some amazing work. I think you just need to feel out that market, do some searching on etsy and such. As stated above, you are limited to fish availability and time to catch those fish. Seems like it is popular to have gyotaku done of a trophy fish someone catches, but that’s only possible locally.

I would love a gar or preferably even a bowfin. Shoot me a message if you get a chance.

As far as criticism goes, I think your gar came out the best and with the most detail. The Bluegill is a bit muddled. I also personally prefer more white space for a more traditional look- as in larger borders on the sides and bottom, and probably would not want a frame.

Last edited:
OP
JB.USMC

JB.USMC

FNG
Yea I mean talk about a zero risk to start potential additional income. If they don't sell give them away to friends or family as gifts.

Edit: I would look into any way to boost your listing on whatever platform you put them on. Certain retail spaces allow you to pay a small fee to put your listing up top or one of the first to be seen when someone searches "Art" for example. Good luck.

Thanks for the tips!

OP
JB.USMC

JB.USMC

FNG
I've done Gyotaku before.
Also play the ukulele........

I don't know what the start up costs are for Etsy and going from hobby to sales but your already invested in the time and materials as a hobby. Quality paper, quality inks/paints, attention to detail. Check online for sales of other Gyotaku works. How fast to they seem to sell. You might be limited by the kinds of fish you kind find in your local, or the fish in your local might not be regular Gyotaku subjects so something newer to genre.

Spouses cousin started photographing birds. He sells the photos as a side business. Some awards won. By all accounts he's doing well and making money at it.

I started leather working some years back. Made some investments in tools, time, learning. Sold some items. I found that going to the next level and actually making money at it was going to take a lot larger investment of time, tools, learning. I was able to pay for my materials from what I sold. I still make things for myself and sell something now and then but it's all pretty basic utilitarian useful to me kind of items--sheaths, pouches, arm guards, quivers , fixing older leather goods, plans for a quiver in the works.....

I say do some investigative work and if it looks even a little promising give it a shot. Maybe you'll earn enough for that hunting trip, or family vacation, or new bow, or new ukulele, or the kids college fund.......
Thats awesome! I went down a similar path except with kydex instead of leather so I can relate to that very much. Simple tools and materials got the job done, but to get into that market big with quality would have taken more than I was able to invest. Thank you very much for the reply!

OP
JB.USMC

JB.USMC

FNG
I love the style of gyotaku, and have actually been looking at getting a piece. Gnarleyharley on instagram has some amazing work. I think you just need to feel out that market, do some searching on etsy and such. As stated above, you are limited to fish availability and time to catch those fish. Seems like it is popular to have gyotaku done of a trophy fish someone catches, but that’s only possible locally.

I would love a gar or preferably even a bowfin. Shoot me a message if you get a chance.

As far as criticism goes, I think your gar came out the best and with the most detail. The Bluegill is a bit muddled. I also personally prefer more white space for a more traditional look- as in larger borders on the sides and bottom, and probably would not want a frame.
Feed back is very much appreciated! Seriously, your input on the white space and borders get my brain thinking more. Message coming your way!

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
I would definitely research the "right" paper to use. You can't sell something with all the "waves" in the ones like you have. I initially thought of a very heavy 100% cotton paper, then I looked up Gyotaku on Wikipedia and learned about the traditional paper used. Anyway, I'd say some trial and error is in order.

Best wishes - what a great idea.

Last edited:
OP
JB.USMC

JB.USMC

FNG
I would definitely research the "right" paper to use. You can't sell something with all the "waves" in the ones like you have. I initially thought of a very heavy 100% cotton paper, then I looked up Gyotaku on Wikipedia and learned about the traditional paper used. Anyway, I'd say some trial and error is in order.

Best wishes - what a great idea.

Thank you very much. Yes it’s a specific rice paper and a spicific squid ink. I think the wrinkles come from doing this in my garage in the humid mid west. I will definitely look into possibly ironing them out but it will definitely take trail and error for that because this specific paper is very fragile so we will see what happens!

Very cool! I like the gar & salmon, but like others our budgets are reserved for killing innocent animals. Have had years of experience on Etsy. Be GENEROUS to yourself while listing. They hide costs to sellers in ways that would blow your mind. I would focus on just selling the prints to avoid shipping for even more and list them at $350+ Probably 450... I personally list digital images have had revenue around 4 k in a year, thats not Net proceeds. Maybe 500 profit during covid

OP
JB.USMC

JB.USMC

FNG
GSPhunter, Beendare, & Superduece22 - I love the honest responses and understand they are certainly not for everyone! Thank you guys for the feedback.

Prostaffsteve - Thank you! part of the reason for my post is seeing these on ETSY anywhere from 40-500!! obviously the price reflects size, species, quality, frame, etc. But I've got a bit more confidence in diving into this endeavor thanks all the responses / feedback on here!