Would you be interested in a custom mountain long range rifle?

OP
HellsCanyon
Oh nice phone cover as well.

You're the second to comment on that! Lol I was in fact visiting the girlfriend for the weekend and made a trip down to Lewiston to pick up the stocks while I was there. Had to find a way to use the trip as a write off ya know! ;)

Oh and I fixed my post above! Thanks

Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
Mike , is that your 7mm wsm ? Trued Remington or a custom clone ? Really cool looking rig :)

That is my "This gun is way to heavy to pack around the mountains with, but I still do" gun... :)

Here are the details:
280 Ackley Improved, shoots the 168 Berger VLD's at 2950 fps over 61.5 grains of 4831shortcut.
Factory Rem 700 LA and bolt (Started life as a 30-06 ADL).
Rock Creek M24 Contour heavy fluted barrel finished at 24".
Seekins Precision large muzzle brake (Glen quit making these large version of his brakes)
Tuned Factory Rem 700 Trigger. Breaks right at 2.5 lbs and is CLEAN. I could tell you this was a Timney and you would believe me.
HS precision PSS factory stock opened up to accept the large barrel contour and skim bedded by me.
Seekins precision DBM bottom metal. Uses tweaked 300 win mag AICS magazine (new addition this year, used to run a factory BDL bottom metal).

The action is UNTRUED and the gun still shoots 1/4MOA all day long. Goes to show just how important a quality barrel and chamber job is...

Thank you I sure like the gun!

Mike

Shrek

WKR
You can happen to get a strait Remington action...or not. No way to tell these days. If I wasn't so in love with 7mm wsm I would have a 280 AI myself. I think the 280 AI is about ideal for the 7mm . You can get 100% case fill , reasonable pressures , and the sweet spot in velocity about 2950fps to 3000fps that seems most bullets behave their best at. Less finicky feeding than my wsm too. Once I get my 7mm wsm finished and a 6.5 saum built I will be looking at 280 AI.

OP
HellsCanyon
Agreed they are a very efficient cartridge for the .284 family of bullets... Though the 7WSM is really hard to beat for launching the 180 VLD's for hunting. But for the amount of shooting I do, it's nice to have a caliber with a 3K barrel life. This gun see's 5-6 competitions a year so it's a double duty gun.

In the future this gun will get broken down and we will square up the action and bolt. I can tell you that no matter what we've always been able to get our guns to shoot sub 1/2MOA with a quality barrel and good chamber job, however sometimes they take a bit more load development. We really see benefits to truing the action/bolt in that the gun will shoot nearly any load sub 1/2MOA and instead of the new "sweet spot" load shooting in the .3's it'll shoot in the .1's... Also depends on caliber as well obviously.

Mike

Shrek

WKR
I think you have a 7mm wsm also. It's a 7mm wsm love fest here .lol. I'm trying to figure out how to afford going with a new manners and truing and rebarreling the new ss crf 7mm wsm I just got and outfitting for diy backpack hunting AND a month long elk and mule deer hunt this fall. Haven't got it all worked in yet so the backpack equipment and hunting expenses come first. The only way it all works out as of now is the lotto ticket in my pocket. :D

OP
HellsCanyon
I think you have a 7mm wsm also. It's a 7mm wsm love fest here .lol. I'm trying to figure out how to afford going with a new manners and truing and rebarreling the new ss crf 7mm wsm I just got and outfitting for diy backpack hunting AND a month long elk and mule deer hunt this fall. Haven't got it all worked in yet so the backpack equipment and hunting expenses come first. The only way it all works out as of now is the lotto ticket in my pocket. :D

I currently don't own a 7WSM, but we are building one.... :) Just waiting on a barrel right now (SHOULD be done this week, but have been hearing that for the last 3 weeks so who knows...).

Also have a bolt on the way from PTG to run build a 300 Norma mag. Should be able to hit 3100-3150 fps on the 210 Bergers out of a 26" barrel.

Have a build or 3 planned for a big 338 caliber but thats being kept quiet until we get them built. It'll be a few months at least...

And yeah I think I'm about done for gear this year. Getting a new shelter next week, and just need a bivy... of course my "want" list is much bigger than that but I don't even know where I'll be hunting this year. Likely 3rd season deer in Colorado out of a wall tent, and a Sept backpack hunt in WA. Elk are getting put on the back burner for a few years...

Mike

Shrek

WKR
I hope you seek treatment for this no elk disorder ! The first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem . Lol ! Most of us have way more wants than we got gots :) so good luck with your projects. Sounds like a ton of fun building all those rifles.

OP
HellsCanyon
I hope you seek treatment for this no elk disorder ! The first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem . Lol ! Most of us have way more wants than we got gots :) so good luck with your projects. Sounds like a ton of fun building all those rifles.

I have found the cure for the no elk disorder... it's called Big Muledeer! :) They are what got me into hunting in the first place and I figured it's about time I get serious about trying to kill one!

Mike

Shrek

WKR
No way man ! Thats like just one more drink. The path of the righteous elk hunter is beset on all sides by the evil of the mule deer and temptation of the sheep...lol ! Come back from the dark side Mike ;)

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Those look really good Mike! I have been thinking about doing that with a couple of my rifles. Maybe my next build.

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks! Here's another of her all put back together and ready for some burnt powder! ;)

gyju6abe.jpg

Mike

That. Looks. Amazing.

OP
HellsCanyon
9a6yze7u.jpg
Thanks! We FINALLY got our barrels back... can't wait to spin these up in the lathe! The carbon will get hit with some Emory cloth to dull the shine and bring out the pattern more! These are Sendero contours and weigh 3 lbs 4 oz before threading and chambering. Our next barrels should be 4-5 oz lighter as we're swapping up the contours a bit ;)

Mike

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Mike,
How light do you think we could get if I had you guys build me a rifle? Thinking along the lines of a .300 short mag or something. You think we could do something around 6 lbs plus optics?

OP
HellsCanyon
Stocks mailed this week, have actions and everything down in Lewiston where they are waiting to get spun up. Gettin' close but there's some things that have gotten in the way unfortunately!

Justin,
Are you thinking about one with one of these carbon barrels? 6-6.5 lbs shouldn't be an issue!

Mike