Would a side arm be necessary? Also what caliber?

Robobiss

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve brought one along once and before long it was in the bottom of my pack.

I wouldn’t bother, but that’s me. I would be more inclined to want one on the road trip to and from the mountain if you have to pass through and get gas in sketchy areas in the middle of the night than actually want it in my person in the woods.

Tex68w

WKR
I’ve brought one along once and before long it was in the bottom of my pack.

I wouldn’t bother, but that’s me. I would be more inclined to want one on the road trip to and from the mountain if you have to pass through and get gas in sketchy areas in the middle of the night than actually want it in my person in the woods.

That's a given and I carry daily for that reason as my AO isn't the best neck of the woods lol.

NMJM

FNG
Definitely not needed, but like others have said if it makes you feel more comfortable go for it. We humans are horrible about assessing risk. The likelihood you will need a firearm to protect yourself is astronomically low. We worry so much about the monsters and the boogey man when in reality most of us ignore the biggest risk factors, heart disease, stroke, cancer and diabetes. I totally understand it, way more exciting to think about the next 10mm you need to protect yourself from things that go bump in the night than lifestyle changes. Sorry for the rant, I have had several friends over the last few years have heart attacks. Carry what makes you feel comfortable in the backcountry and happy hunting!

Luked

WKR
I always carry. Wolves, Bears, Mt Lion, Crazy Pot Smokin' Anti hunter Hippies etc.
This is my main reason.
I honestly dont trust most people and carry every day.
The only time mine is not on me is when I am at work where it is "against the rules"

I had a crazy encounter with a mountain lion in NW Colorado last archery season. Didn’t have to use my .357 but sure glad I had it with me. I will always carry a side arm - especially on solo trips.
I'm assuming it is a revolver you're referring to? How many rounds, 6? I plan on taking my .45 which holds 8 including one in the chamber. I'm a little worried thats too few rounds in the event I may need it....

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
“Would a sidearm be necessary?”
No, as in NO. < that’s a period

You’re welcome.

I have hunted NW CO since 1980 and have never carried a sidearm while elk hunting. If you are afraid of bears, wolves and Mt Lions in that area you need to take up bowling.
Being afraid of them or not doesn't change whether a run in can turn fatal...

"So Bill, did you hear bout that fella outside Steamboat that was killed by that big ol' cat?" "I heard... Hell, newspapers say he wasn't afraid of them!"

Sounds pretty ridiculous now, doesn't it?

Phaseolus

WKR
Being afraid of them or not doesn't change whether a run in can turn fatal...

"So Bill, did you hear bout that fella outside Steamboat that was killed by that big ol' cat?" "I heard... Hell, newspapers say he wasn't afraid of them!"

Sounds pretty ridiculous now, doesn't it?
Grew up in the woods around Steamboat, only thing my Brothers and I had for protection was two large dogs.

NMJM

FNG
One way to determine if you should carry an additional firearm or not, would be to look at all the attacks on hunters in the area you plan on hunting in the last 5-10 years. Include everything you are concerned about, other humans, lions, wolves, bears and whatever else inhabits that area. Look at how many attacks, injuries and fatalities have occurred. Then consider how many of those incidents could have been avoided if the victim had a firearm. Based on the info make an informed decision.

Article 4

WKR
Ok is there any special paperwork or anything I’d need to bring with me in Colorado for carrying a side arm while archery hunting? I’m a nonresident if that makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I looked at the colorado game website, it says sidearms are legal to carry for personal protection but illegal to dispatch an animal with it. No mention of paperwork however I would check my information for yourself to be sure