Worth the weight?

amp713

WKR
My .357, For people and animals alike.

I might take a magazine to read, some nights when the deer are running through your head you need something to help you doze off.

An extra pair of socks. Weather they get really wet or i decided to ditch my shoes for a stalk....

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm more concerned about total pack weight than individual items per se... I put my must haves in a pile and my nice to haves in another. I tweak it around until I get the desired pack weight. Weight varies based on amount of days in country, targeted critter, and terrain.

I guess the real questions is around what folks consider must haves, as I am sure that varies.. : )

I usually take more clothes than others as I like being warm...

billy molls

Super Moderator
For Dall sheep in Alaska, I carry a 80mm scope, a heavy-5 ft. tripod, 1-2 video cameras with plenty of batteries (4-5), 1 still camera, a full-sized tent, 1-extra pair of socks, a full-handled toothbrush and paste, a book, 2-trekking poles full-length pad, a long sleeping bag, a heavier than average stove. A .44 mag., bacon, cheese, (some freeze-dried food of course) sometimes a satellite phone. I find that is is all worth the extra weight... I rarely go extreme distances though. Most sheep hunts I guide average 4-5 days and 40-50 miles. There are guys who go a lot further and and hunt longer for various species, and then I suppose if I would cut some weight somewhere, but I like to eat good, sleep good, and lack for nothing. It is extra work, but to me it is very much worth it. I am able to hunt, and live better if I am comfortable.

I do not pack a GPS, or a compass (if I were in very thick, flat country I would), a saw (I pack only a hacksaw blade. It takes a while go cut the skull, but it weighs nothing.), a knife sharpener.
For what it is worth,,,,,,that is my perspective.

B

bearguide

video equipment, batteries solar charger ,book// i am not tough enough to carry what billy carries

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think I overdo the food department. I take Starbucks Via along now for coffee, I need the caffeine in the afternoon. I have cut weight in a lot of other areas this year though. It should a much lighter pack in.

swat8888

WKR
"Excesses" I carry that are worth their weight in gold....Crocs, Big Agnes Clearview pad and pillow (never slept better in the field)...about a 1/2lb heavier than the cheapo thermarest, cope.

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
Why do you guys carry handguns for people when back pack hunting? I have never met another hunter or person for that matter that i wanted shoot, especially 10 miles into the bush. lol. If I do meet anyone in the back country, we usually get along pretty good and have never once had a confrontation...

Last edited:
Where I hunt there are cougar and recently wolf sightings so also in the back country you are completely on your own so in the small chance I run into shady peole along with the other factors the weight is small compared to my piece of mind.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why do you guys carry handguns for people when back pack hunting? I have never met another hunter or person for that matter that i wanted shoot, especially 10 miles into the bush. lol. If I do meet anyone in the back country, we usually get along pretty good and have never once had a confrontation...
I don't carry one however if I lived in grizz, wolf or we had more pumas, I would reconsider. Humans aren't the only threat to humans. My .02 cents anyways.

philw

Lil-Rokslider
Extras I'll bring are a z-rest for underneath my inflatable, for lounging around a campfire, or sitting on while glassing. Also, extra food in the form of some prime beef tenderloin for grilling on a fire, gets eaten first of course. And an ultralight spinning rod for some "surf" to go with the turf. Also, I've been known to bring some red potatoes, a little olive oil, and rosemary, to be roasted in foil over coals.

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Cindy, I love the 10mm. I have a glock 29 and have killed a 300 plus pound black bear with it. I like it over the wheel guns. It's pretty light and it holds a lot of rounds. If you want to go old school:) a 357 on up should be fine for most critters.

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
I don' t carry one however if I lived in grizz, wolf or we had more pumas, I would reconsider. Humans aren't the only threat to humans. My .02 cents anyways.
i

I see your point, but there were lots of references to 2 legged problems being the reason. Having said that I live in Bc, where the grizz, wolf and cat population in the back country is far greater then most, and we by law can't even carry handguns while hunting. And i can't think of once, when myslef or anyone I know for that matter said "man I wish i had a handgun". I guess i just have hard time understanding when a guy cuts his tooth brush in half to cut weight, yet will carry a 2lb handgun.too each there own though.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
i

I see your point, but there were lots of references to 2 legged problems being the reason. Having said that I live in Bc, where the grizz, wolf and cat population in the back country is far greater then most, and we by law can't even carry handguns while hunting. And i can't think of once, when myslef or anyone I know for that matter said "man I wish i had a handgun". I guess i just have hard time understanding when a guy cuts his tooth brush in half to cut weight, yet will carry a 2lb handgun.too each there own though.

Thats a good point, but i feel much better with it on me, not scared of the 4 legged at this point, but i have run into some goofy people! Luckily i havnt had to draw it yet. It also scares backpackers

Ryan, thanks for the suggestion.

I've read some information that bear spray is the best way to go? I myself would prefer the pistol option (dead is dead if you can hit it).

Do any of you consider the bear spray? Why or why not?

dotman

WKR
I use bear spray in CO but in griz country I take it and a 44mag also. With blackies and cougars I think the spray is an effective way to stop a bad encounter without needlessly killing an animal but the further north I go I want more when talking griz.

dotman

WKR
i

With the drug trade more and more pot ops are being put up in the backcountry, more and more people are stumbling onto pot ops and border jumpers that could careless to kill someone. Now the further north you go the less likely this will happen but it is moving north. Also just this year in MO a bowhunter was stabbed when he got out of his treestand. The drug ops are seeing how they can move into the remote country and grow their product without having to worry much about getting caught, it is a new or newer thing but is happening. Also there are just some crazy people out there, I have heard of people having their crap stolen afte they setup camp.

Check this link out Hunters stabbing hunters, this happened 50 miles from where I live http://www.kmbc.com/r/29883046/detail.html

When I'm in CO I only carry a 10oz 380 and it is for that just incase moment, call me a worrier but well I like to be prepared and it isn't much added weight, does it pack a punch, heck no but it makes noise and throws bullets.

Few more links:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/out...ty-warned-about-stumbling-into-pot-farms.html

http://articles.cnn.com/2004-11-22/...er-county-mark-roidt-robert-crotteau?_s=PM:US

http://www.johnnores.com/John_Nores_Jr/War_in_the_Woods.html

Last edited:

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
With the drug trade more and more pot ops are being put up in the backcountry, more and more people are stumbling onto pot ops and border jumpers that could careless to kill someone. Now the further north you go the less likely this will happen but it is moving north. Also just this year in MO a bowhunter was stabbed when he got out of his treestand. The drug ops are seeing how they can move into the remote country and grow their product without having to worry much about getting caught, it is a new or newer thing but is happening. Also there are just some crazy people out there, I have heard of people having their crap stolen afte they setup camp.

Check this link out Hunters stabbing hunters, this happened 50 miles from where I live http://www.kmbc.com/r/29883046/detail.html

When I'm in CO I only carry a 10oz 380 and it is for that just incase moment, call me a worrier but well I like to be prepared and it isn't much added weight, does it pack a punch, heck no but it makes noise and throws bullets.

Few more links:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/out...ty-warned-about-stumbling-into-pot-farms.html

http://articles.cnn.com/2004-11-22/...er-county-mark-roidt-robert-crotteau?_s=PM:US

http://www.johnnores.com/John_Nores_Jr/War_in_the_Woods.html

Again, I live in BC, British Columbia, Canada. Where do you think most of your good weed comes from? LOL. Grow ops in the back country up here are a dime a dozen and have been going on for decades. I personally stumble upon a few a year, every year. Like i said, im not hating, to each there own just dont get it. And probably never will. hahaha

IF you want some links. Google, grow ops in BC, and you'll get about 50,000 hits.

Last edited: