Workouts for guys without a gym membership (Kettlebell)

As a crossfit coach I strive to train to become well rounded athletically where I can do a bunch of things decently well.

This is for you guys who don't have access to a gym or the equipment you "think" you need to workout. The best investment you can make if you cannot get to a gym or have all the fancy equipment is a 45 lb kettlebell from amazon.com. They are like 60 dollars. That is about the price of a nice gym for one month. You can do more with this 45 lb kettlebell to help your fitness for the backcountry than you would ever believe. Training with kettlebells has huge benefits. Doing the exercises with kettlebells they are almost all exclusively compound. Now I'm not talking bicep curling your kettlebell, but doing swings, cleans, snatches, squats, etc. You can get a workout in 15 minutes with a kettlebell that will have you laying on the floor making sweat angels. You can also use this kettlebell to add weight to your pack so you can do weighted hikes as they are small and compact and easily lashed via their handle to packs.

Here are some examples of workouts that will kick your ass that I do with a 45 lb kettlebell (You can use any weight that gives you a decent challenge, it doesn't have to be 45.)

Workout1:
As many rounds as possible in 12 minutes
3 clean and press (each arm)
3 snatch (each arm)
Finish with 100 kettlebell swings after your 12 minute round

The workout goes with you doing 3 clean and press, and then 3 snatch for each arm and then switch. Finish with the kettlebell swings. This is a great full body workout that gets your heart thumping, and works the posterior chain along with some shoulder from the press.

Workout 2:
100 Kettlebell swings
100 Sumo Deadlift highpull
100 burpees
You can break this up into sets of 20, alternating between the movements etc.

Workout 3:
100 cleans (50 each arm)
100 swings
2 minutes of mountain climbers

Workout 4:
25 Overhead 1 handed squats(each arm)
100 Swings
100 pushups

Workout 5:
1 Clean
2 Thrusters
1 High or Low Windmill
Swap arms and repeat for 1 round

You perform this workout by using 1 kettlebell. You alternate reps between the arms. You do a clean, 2 thrusters, then a windmill. Then you switch arms and repeat. This is an AMRAP for 10 minutes. AMRAP stands for as many rounds as possible. 1 round is doing the whole cycle on both arms. So you do it left arm and right arm and that is 1 rep. If you don't know what kettlebell windmills are check out youtube videos. There are plenty of videos on how to do these exercises if you need any explanation. Use a 30-70 lb kettlebell whichever you have and whatever challenges you.

Workout 6:
4 Sets of
20 Swings
5 Clean and press (Each arm)
5 High Windmill (Each arm)

Workout 7: TABATA (explanation in the video)-----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUzZD88uN8g

Do the TABATA Workout with a single exercise. Don't get too overzealous and kill yourself. It doesn't seem like much but for you guys who want to be able to RUN up the ridge after a bull, get in his lane, and have your heart come back to rest quickly to make the shot this is for you. These will up your aerobic threshold as well as increase your anaerobic(without oxygen threshold, very useful for high altitude heavy exertion activity) Kill two birds with one stone.

Air Squats

Kettlebell Clean+Press

Running in place+Mountain climber alternation TABATA

These are just some examples of workouts you can do with a kettlebell that takes up no space and can do in your living room. I do mine in the garage and let me tell you, these workouts will work you. If these are not challenging, you can always up the reps. With just a 60 dollar kettlebell you can get yourself ready for the backcountry. You can find other kettlebell workouts at wodshop.org and other websites. Don't let not having a gym membership be an excuse not to keep yourself or get yourself in shape for next years elk season.

Last edited:
Nice! My wife is a crossfit coach! You crossfit people are sick in the head! Lol. Crossfit is a good way of doing great workouts without weights or much equipment.

Burpees, pull-ups, push ups, sit ups, and hiking are the best things you can do in my opinion.