Work Truck - Lots of Idling

TaperPin

WKR
Personally, I think it would make no sense to get anything other than the cheapest stripped down white 1/2 ton gmc or ford gas work truck from the fleet sales lot. Everything is basic and cheap. There’s a reason these trucks are everywhere. Salt air rust should hammer them pretty hard - do trucks even last 10 years there? Having the underside sprayed with wax or oil should be done every year.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I worked for a state Agency whose trucks had a ton of idle time and an 8 year life cycle. I’m a Chevy guy, but the 6.2 gas v8 ford f-250s and 350s were the only trucks that thrived in that environment. The last generation Gm’s with 5.3’s needed motors around 100k, everything diesel was discouraged from idling as previously mentioned.
my 6.2 gasser Ford 2015 had almost 10K hours on the Idle meter when I bought it (was a WYDOT truck). My mechanic said don't sweat it and 20K more miles, I've not had any issues.

schmalzy

WKR
Have 7 2500 gas chevys in our fleet with very minimal issues. Not idling all day but definitely all through lunch and in the mornings.

I use mine as a mobile office and spent last 1-2 months in it almost every day with it running for AC.

Like anything else, keep up on rest of the maintenance and should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
my 6.2 gasser Ford 2015 had almost 10K hours on the Idle meter when I bought it (was a WYDOT truck). My mechanic said don't sweat it and 20K more miles, I've not had any issues.
I had a 24v cummins with 38k hours on it when we sold it. 99% of those were idle. We replaced it with a def rig and it needed to be cooked every hundred hours or so.