Wool socks are starting to suck!

mtn_man

FNG
I don't even really know where to start off on this. I've been an active hiker for the past decade and change (primarily WA Cascades and now in the WV Appalachians). I've also been a hunter for the past 3 decades, and I'm just the type of person that puts my gear to hard use (with the utmost care, within reason).

That being said, I've worn out every pair of Darn Tough socks 2-3x faster than Smartwool (always with holes at the ball of my feet). A pair of DT's will last me no more than a year before they get holes! Like many PNW'rs, I do wear socks & sandals, but just around the house in the colder seasons. DT's and regular hiking Smartwool socks do not seem to hold up at all in this case!

Now I thought that I had found the holy grail a few years ago with the Smartwool Hunt socks. I still have the first 2 pairs that I bought, and they show very little signs of wear. So I recently ordered 7 more pairs of Smartwool Hunt socks, but they're no where near as good as those two pairs that I bought a few years back!!! It's like the fabric isn't as dense and they fray VERY easily. Has anyone else noticed this???

I have zero faith that any of these new Smartwool hunting socks are going to last. I bought a pair of synthetic Burton socks several years back at a ski resort that turned out to be on par with wool. I just WISH that I saved the tag so I could score a few more pairs of them.

In any event, for those of you that know where I'm coming from, do you have any solid recommendations for socks that will actually stand up to moderate abuse?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Smartwool has changed their socks “feel” many times since I started using them back in the late 90s I think it was. Still last the longest and fit my feet the best of any of the merino socks. I got 4 more pairs for Christmas this year that “feel” different than some I got for Christmas last year. I wear them daily and have never had issues with longevity.

sndmn11

WKR
I switched over to Point6 and couldn't be happier. I think they use a different process that doesn't degrade the wool and it is compact spun.

(It's also the founders of smartwool before they sold decades ago)

Clarktar

WKR
I wear Darn Toughs everyday and mine ware out also. But every pair I've sent in for warranty has been covered, no questions asked. Yes, it's a hassle but I've found none better.
Couldn't agree more. Just got 7 pairs back this week. Customer for life until they change the warranty. My last about 3 years of heavy use

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

bhylton

WKR
I use darn tough. I just received a $300 store credit after turning in 12 pairs of socks on warrenty... 2nd time I've done it. I have not paid for socks for over 2 years. Who cares if they don't last... its a sock and it's lifetime warranty

My darntough mountaineering socks are almost impossible to wear out! I wear whites smokejumpers everyday and I have never had any issues. Ill take my darntough mountaineering socks on every hunt, even the summer ones!

Ugly Dog

FNG
I’ve had pretty good luck with Duluth trading socks lasting. Always Cary a extra pair in my pack whether I’m hiking or hunting.

Buzby

WKR
I was a big Smartwool fan. Darn Tough was not for me. In the last year or so all I’ve bought was Farm to Feet, and couldn’t be happier. Best socks I’ve found.

hiker270

WKR
I really don't expect socks to last forever. I wear both Smart wool and Darn Tough. It is nice to get new socks for free if they get a hole in them.

Ugly Dog

FNG
I really don't expect socks to last forever. I wear both Smart wool and Darn Tough. It is nice to get new socks for free if they get a hole in them.
After all this talk I’m going to have to look into smart wool and darn tough. I’m a believer in wool anything for warmth and breathability.

logan123

Lil-Rokslider
After all this talk I’m going to have to look into smart wool and darn tough. I’m a believer in wool anything for warmth and breathability.
Be prepared to throw everything else away.

Everyone I know who started with a pair or two now owns nothing else.

Darn Tough’s warranty is rad. You don’t need full on holes in socks, I send in socks with weak elastic and they take care of it.

Darn tough has LIFETIME warranty on all socks.

If you tossed in garbage, maybe mention that to them anyways and they’ll send ya a few pairs.

I’m a Darn believer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ljalberta

WKR
I used to really like the Costco hiker sock. But they’ve been declining in quality and durability every time they do a redesign. I think I’ll take the darn tough plunge.

TheHammer

WKR
I’ve tried a handful of darn toughs, the ones that just seem to work for me are also the ones I wear daily. The steel toe boot sock seems very durable, my feet sweat way less than in the John Henry’s, I have a pile of once worn hikers(too thin) a handful of otc heavyweights (feet just sweat and then freeze) that have been maybe worn once and 17 pairs of the steel toe boot socks… they are very durable, I have the brown ones for hunting and orange for work.

I wear the Costco wool socks 365 days a year and those are all I wear hunting/hiking/fishing as well as working wildland fires and forestry work. I go through a pair every 3 weeks but for the cost of sock, it isn’t worth it to me to switch to darn tough and deal with their warranties. I have noticed though that the newer version of their socks aren’t holding up well compared to the older style. They seem to be wearing out for me near the toes.