Woods Be Super Packed This Year

Fatcamp

WKR
Spring turkey was crazy. Hope archery deer doesn't follow suit.

Regardless I will be there.

I wonder if there is a movement from the anti crowd to buy up tags so that less animals get killed? Works for a little until the surveys show that the success rates are dropping then they issue more tags, but just a thought for capped OTC tags...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

How would that even work? Considering you have to have a hunter safety on file and then you can only purchase one tag. So what are anti hunters taking the time to take a hunter safety class to then just buy one tag so one hunter can’t? My guess would be NO there is no movement from anti hunters to buy elk tags. My guess is it’s all the tv shows like meat eater, along with all the podcasts like kifaru cast and Joe Rogan that glorify elk hunting. That’s why elk tags are selling out so quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UtahJimmy

WKR
How would that even work? Considering you have to have a hunter safety on file and then you can only purchase one tag. So what are anti hunters taking the time to take a hunter safety class to then just buy one tag so one hunter can’t? My guess would be NO there is no movement from anti hunters to buy elk tags. My guess is it’s all the tv shows like meat eater, along with all the podcasts like kifaru cast and Joe Rogan that glorify elk hunting. That’s why elk tags are selling out so quickly.

Never applied in ID, but if it's like WY you don't need to prove you've taken hunter's safety when you apply. Not sure about other states (except CO, you need to supply a number online when you apply).

Remember what happened with the WY grizzly permits?

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Lol that conspiracy theory on the antis takes the cake of all conspiracies. It did happen on that Wyoming grizz hunt application when that photographer drew one tag but no way thousands of greenies are applying for elk tags in Idaho haha.

Forget about the stimulus checks and meat shortages, I think we all underestimate just how much of an impact all these podcasters and “famous” hunters with YouTube channel views in the hundreds of thousands on “how to apply and hunt elk in X state every year” is having on all of us.

Brief anecdote: husband of a friend hates camping/outdoors (doesn't own a tent, is miserable on short day hikes) and has never hunted/fished got into Meat Eater somehow is suddenly interested in hunting. She has been asking me all sorts of questions about what he would need, how it works, etc. I just told her its gonna be real hard for him when he can't stand to be outside for more than 2 hours outside of a city...

I've never seen the show but they must do a real nice sales job.

I don't blame it all on those from Washington. Tag sales were waaaaay ahead of pace already this year. What was different? Stimulus checks. Last year before price change.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sure there were stimulus checks, but there was also a larger group of hunters that got burnt last year when they sold out mid August. I'm guessing those guys went out and bought early. I felt hesitant about waiting to see the Wyoming elk draw results, but I bought my Idaho tag as soon as Wyoming sent me the dear John letter.

Idaho is no longer a backup plan and won't be again. Price increase won't make much difference. Best thing Idaho had going was "wolves are killing all the elk" that kept non residents away as much as anything for awhile.

Tags will sell earlier next year. You can bet on it. . . Unless there are some for bad zones that haven't been picked up. But if this site is any indicator, people will buy tags in the those areas too with no research. Then they will jump on and ask for your honey hole!

well that sucks. i put in for the draw and was waiting for the results to come out. i wasnt aware you buy a otc tag and turn it back in if you drew a controlled hunt.

conley417

Lil-Rokslider
Step 1: Create Rokslide Account

Step 2: Post asking for specific information while listing the unit # so anyone that googles said unit will find the information

Step 3: ???????

Step 4: Profit

Rob5589

WKR
Brief anecdote: husband of a friend hates camping/outdoors (doesn't own a tent, is miserable on short day hikes) and has never hunted/fished got into Meat Eater somehow is suddenly interested in hunting. She has been asking me all sorts of questions about what he would need, how it works, etc. I just told her its gonna be real hard for him when he can't stand to be outside for more than 2 hours outside of a city...

I've never seen the show but they must do a real nice sales job.

Guys like that watch a 30 min show and think that's all it takes to kill something. He'll never last.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Quote: “I think we all underestimate just how much of an impact all these podcasters and “famous” hunters with YouTube channel views in the hundreds of thousands on “how to apply and hunt elk in X state every year” is having on all of us.“

great point!
the YTubers, podcasts, internet sites etc, That have touted for years that IDAHO is THE place for OTC elk. And the best fall back, last resort elk plan. Like CO 18 years ago went thru, just less social media influence back then.
What isn’t expected? No surprise here!

look at the growth of Web informational podcasts, Amazon Prime outdoor show features. These shows bring in their Income bucks$$$ in the name of promoting elk hunting. What they really promote are their Own bank accounts swelling from YTube $ and sponsor ships $$$.
Take away all the money and my guess is very, very few would be selling their souls for free. In addition, all these UTube hunts, kill shots-many of these bad shots, just gives visual fuel & evidence of animal suffering to the ANTI’s fires.

OYOAdventures used to be my fave interest. Not so much anymore under new branding, sponsor ships, Media impact.

all this growth elk hunting interest has ruined Non Resident opportunity!
resulting in so many non-res restrictions, I can’t draw Archery bull elk tags for the last 11 years. When 12 years ago I could buy tag from local store or draw NM bull tag every 2 years as non resident.

Last edited:

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
Never applied in ID, but if it's like WY you don't need to prove you've taken hunter's safety when you apply. Not sure about other states (except CO, you need to supply a number online when you apply).

Remember what happened with the WY grizzly permits?

You are required to provide your hunter's safety certificate number when you go through Idaho. I had to find mine from 6th grade last fall when I bought my first tag as a non-resident. Luckily Idaho still had it on file!

I think Meateater, Steve Rinella, goes a little too far outside of their way to get people into hunting that never had any business being out there. They probably know that and while most of these guys will give up and go back to pategonia hikes near town, it does a whole lot to drum up outdoor retail sales which imo is the end goal for Rinella.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sure there were stimulus checks, but there was also a larger group of hunters that got burnt last year when they sold out mid August. I'm guessing those guys went out and bought early. I felt hesitant about waiting to see the Wyoming elk draw results, but I bought my Idaho tag as soon as Wyoming sent me the dear John letter.

Idaho is no longer a backup plan and won't be again. Price increase won't make much difference. Best thing Idaho had going was "wolves are killing all the elk" that kept non residents away as much as anything for awhile.

Tags will sell earlier next year. You can bet on it. . . Unless there are some for bad zones that haven't been picked up. But if this site is any indicator, people will buy tags in the those areas too with no research. Then they will jump on and ask for your honey hole!
That's a poor excuse "they got burnt when tags sold out in mid August". Tags had been on sale in Idaho since Dec 1st. They had almost 9 months to buy tags, and didn't. That's their own fault. The biggest differences between this year and any other year for selling out tags in ID is covid and stimulus checks. People were stuck at home on the computer, and the govt sent them money they could cover hunt costs with. It's no wonder they sold out so soon. That and WA keeps mismanaging their resource, that was the final straw that broke the tag sales back.

sneaky

"DADDY"

What are you willing to bet on tag sales for next year? I'll bet certain zones will sell quick next year if they implement caps, but the less desirable zones won't. As it is now as long as tags were available they could all buy the same zone... next year that'll stop. Combine that with the price increase everyone is still bitching about, and I think we'll be back to selling out in August or later.

CJohnson

WKR
Some of it could be due to people observing what happened last year with Idaho tags AND observing how states reacted to the virus-related stuff. If I was buying an OTC tag somewhere, I’d get it as soon as possible in case there are any other restrictions on buying non-resident tags.

SlimWhitman

Lil-Rokslider
Elk hunting IS glorious. It doesn’t need a conspiracy theory to explain why the woods are getting more crowded. The fact that we are all on rokslide is the same reason people just finding out about hunting are now hunters.

We are in the age of information. News is news in 5 seconds. Everyone learns everything faster. People are drawn to sides faster in life and more strongly than ever before because of the abundance of strong opinions everywhere you look. And we have to have numbers on our side as much as it sucks. The biggest threat to hunting isn’t just more hunters, it’s more people period. Even Steven Rinella has said if he had a choice he would convince people to agree with hunting but not hunt, but it usually doesn’t happen that way. If the population increases and hunter numbers don’t than you can kiss it goodbye. Colorado is about to show you what population/recreation increases will do to animal populations. Hunters have to have a strong side when it comes time for those arguments.

If there is one reason why, it’s because hunting is awesome.

Or it’s the Clintons.

Happens in California. Last duck season my local Sportsman's Warehouse sold out or their allotment of duck stamps. The girl told me that a couple of guys came in and bought whatever they had left. Surely they weren't hunters or stamp collectors.
sound like your typical environmental groups found in wonderful or not California, lived there for years and still own property there but dont miss it at all