Wood Stove Air/Heat Circulation

Pelagic

Lil-Rokslider
The thermal powered stove fan I got didn't last me too long before it crapped out. I was putting it over the hottest part of the stove though so maybe that's why. Either way, before I get another one, I wanted to see what other folks were using for a stove fan in their tents, if you've had good luck with one, either thermal or battery powered, and what that setup looks like.

Last edited:
I've moved away from fans entirely quite a while ago. Decided the value was low to non-existent for my uses, so maybe I'm not the right person to comment.

Prior to that I used the factory 120V electric fans that mount to the back of the stove. They are dramatically more effective at moving air than the thermal fans. In my case, this would functionally cool the firebox, and allowed me to run more air + wood on extra cold days without overheating anything. That was about the only value though. I don't think it increased circulation in the house enough to matter in my case, and they aren't particularly quiet.

In my experience, getting even heat from a wood stove is more to do with how well a house is insulated than anything. A poorly insulated or drafty house will have hot and cold spots and substantial stratification of the air between the floor and ceiling. A ceiling fan might be the better choice in that case. A well insulated house will usually be a more consistent temp throughout and won't usually require a fan.

Been burning wood as a primary heat source for most my life, but if there is one thing about wood stoves... opinions certainly will vary!

OP
P

Pelagic

Lil-Rokslider
I should have mentioned this, but I'm referring to a wall tent type application here.

If weight is no issue a Milwaukee M-18 fan would do a great job set on low. Obviously set on the floor.
Second this...
But I use the M-18 with the USB adapter, and a little USB computer fan. I only use this while the stove is running and it is surprising how much faster stuff dries out with a little air movement....

And if you run it all night, after the stove goes out, there is a lot less condensation.

49ereric

WKR
Ceiling fans is all we have used for @30 years with the fireplace heat although it does have a squirrel cage fan but stopped using it as wasn’t needed IMO.

Not sure if you have an air handler or not or how your house is setup, BUT if you can relocate your central air system return to the same room as your wood stove, you'll be in good shape.

My wood stove is in my basement near the stairs that go to the main floor. Just above the top of the stairs is the return vent on my air handler. I set my thermostat to circulate and every 20 minutes the fan kicks on for 10 minutes. It picks up all the hot air coming up the basement stairs and pushes throughout the house

OP
P

Pelagic

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, I fixed the original post to clarify it's for a tent. Hopefully that helps...

OP
P

Pelagic

Lil-Rokslider
Ended up going with this one for when truck camping. Hang it from the center pole to circulate the hot air back down better. Serves dual purpose as a light too.

Superdoo

WKR
So I’m curious if anybody has had success with the “heat powered” fans. They seem like a no brainer if it weren’t for their price.

Second this...
But I use the M-18 with the USB adapter, and a little USB computer fan. I only use this while the stove is running and it is surprising how much faster stuff dries out with a little air movement....

And if you run it all night, after the stove goes out, there is a lot less condensation.
The USB fan is a brilliant idea! Thanks for that little piece!