Woobie?

To the OP's question.
1. Use this type of system. Run 15 degree down big agnes bag and then toss doobie over the top when it starts getting into the negative temp and that works good. Done that down to -5F in montana. Never doing this during backpack hunts. Use this when sleeping in bed of truck regularly.
2. Have used woobie & doobie to bundle myself & kiddo's up while glassing.

Kifaru doobie's are big and bulky but great warmth. Woobie's are way lighter and work pretty good but if I am going to be out when it is cold I will get the bag to match the temp. I carry a woobie or doobie for day hunting once it starts snowing because if I get stuck out or end up doing a ton of glassing it can be a game changer for comfort.

Kifaru's stuff is loftier then milsurp stuff and seems to be warmer. It's spendy but I ended up going down that path because primary goal was to keep kids warm....if kids are warm they stayed in the hunt longer.

Hope this helps.

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
@Lawnboi @Packin_packout
I always thought I'd carry my Kifaru woobie for cold day glassing comfort but I've never actually done it. You guys don't find it's too bulky to just throw into a day pack as an option?

It's annoyingly bulky but since I am running a frame pack I have room. I am a toothpick and I sweat out even after stripping down to hike up. So skinny and wet makes it worthwhile for me. If I get something it stays with the carcass til the last load out.

BGNRSLK

FNG
No. Get a proper sleep system. Nostalgia is not very warm.

Best comment yet lol. That being said, I try and bring my woobie anywhere I'm not backpacking and trying to get the most bang for my buck .

I haven't noticed a difference between issued or aftermarket.

BBob

WKR
MLD Spirit Quilt in 38° or 48° with optional poncho head hole added.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I should have clarified my intended use.
I currently use a 20* down bag with a mil surplus woobie to help if the bag alone is not enough for my desired comfort. Didn’t know if was worth the extra coin.
Get a Nunatak overbag for it. They make one now with the alpha direct insulation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

AdamLewis

FNG
I always thought I'd carry my Kifaru woobie for cold day glassing comfort but I've never actually done it. You guys don't find it's too bulky to just throw into a day pack as an option?
I stuff mine into its pocket and put it in the bungees on the back of my pack. It is bulky but doesn't weigh much so having it hang out there is not noticeable.

It is worth having it to me especially if it is cold and damp.

ppwack02

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Kifaru Doobie for the wife while were moose hunting so she can put it over her sleeping bag if she gets cold. She's been happy with it overall. It lives in her vehicle fall to spring. I wouldn't bring it along on a fly out due to the size, but it worked pretty well last year taking a nap in Chitna after dip netting. Worth the price for me so I don't have to listen to her about being cold.

Dooms

FNG
Huge fan of Kifaru Woobie and Doobie. Very versatile pieces of kit. I've been running the woobie since 2008, it is going strong, and the doobie goes on all my trips. The HPG Serape is more versatile, but less warm than the doobie. Both are great to kick into a roomy bag, or put over the bag. Both are good buys over the standard .mil woobie.

The versatility of the Kifaru Doobie is phenomenal. It makes just about everything warmer.

- Dooms

VooDoo6

WKR
Classified Approved
I have & use two for about 5-6 years now & prefer the Doobie. Use one every day in winter as a primary blanket cover. Climate Shield used in Kifaru is a better insulator than the standard issue Mil Woobie insulation. Easy to wash (don‘t use a top loader to wash it) durable, effective, cut a bit bigger than a issued Woobie, versatile tie down points. One goes in Truck as back up for emergency with Space Blanket as well. They are costly comparatively but a valued treasure in the bush.

FlyAK

FNG
I will never get rid of my original issued woobie, but these days I use a snugpak jungle blanket and really love it however it only comes with me when day hunting out of the truck...

schmalzy

WKR
I will never get rid of my original issued woobie, but these days I use a snugpak jungle blanket and really love it however it only comes with me when day hunting out of the truck...

Snugpak jungle bag is a solid piece of gear I’ve had one for 15+ years. Built in mosquito net is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I’m old, never heard the term “woobie” until a few years ago. They were always called ”poncho liners”. I’ve spent many months sleeping on the ground with a poncho and liner, down to the low 40’s.

That said, “woobies“ are bulky for the amount of insulation they provide. Much better off with a proper quilt or sleeping bag.

I have a lot of woobies, one kifaru woobie and several group one equipment liners.

They are fantastic for what they are.

I have comfortably used the kifaru woobie by itself down to the low 40s. It’s great for a stand-alone summer option, or to supplement a mid-bag in the winter.

They are best for their intended purpose, which is temporary or expedient shelter.

I have spent innumerable nights on the ground or in a humvee with only a woobie, and in those instances where packability is not the main concern it excels (and blows the issue woobie out of the water).

My personal favorite is the group one equipment recon liner. I have one side Multicam, one side Multicam alpine. It’s the perfect size to drape over your shoulders at an OP, or while glassing, or spending a surprise night in a truck. It’s also a good size and weight for supplementing a sleeping bag.

Again- they excel in specific use-case situations, but not necessarily as a replacement for a sleep system.
How was your experience with Group One Equipment, were you issued the Group 1 liners, or did you buy them? I ordered one the other day, and then saw that they weren't great at communication/ getting orders out.

moximouse

Lil-Rokslider
Exward, I’ll be honest- I purchased probably 6-8 woobies from group one equipment over a 3 year period. The last year, communication kind of fell off the board, and my second to the last order took a very long time and some email prodding to get. My final order was never fulfilled and I did a credit card chargeback, never heard a peep from Lance. I don’t know what happened, and it’s a shame because his products are fantastic.

If you’re in the market right now, get a kifaru. I have several of theirs and they are also great.