Woobie?

The woobies are fine for summer camping but not for anything colder than that.

And in a flourless tent they get dirty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
The Kifaru version seemed loftier than the one I remember being issued, but I didn’t think it was enough to be worth triple or more the price of what you can find other versions of the classic woobie for. At least not for my uses…it’s still just a blanket after all.

No. Get a proper sleep system. Nostalgia is not very warm.
While I love woombies, @bruceleroy speaks the truth. I used any army version back at Valley Forge and later during the war of 1812. For army kit, they were awesome and relatively cheap. I carried the woombie habit ever since and have toyed around and spent some $$$ looking for the perfect one. here are some thoughts:

- hill people gear mountain serape. $$$, 2.5#, bulky but fairly warm. Built like a tank. Doesn’t zip all the way up in sleeping bag mode.
- helikon swagman roll. $$. 1.75#. Not as warm as hill people gear but warmer than an issue poncho. Zipper is not super heavy duty but it is fine.
- Kifaru woobie - $$$, 2#. No zipper, fairly warm, a bit bulky, super durable.
- issue woombie and clones - $ no zipper. Lighter more packable. Less warm.

I have slept or shivered in these things over the years in everything from airport terminals to unexpected mountain nights. I sleep pretty warm and can usually be pretty comfortable into the 50s. Below that is a push. They can also add some degrees as part of an overbag system. overall the swagman is my favorite But I love the Kifaru and hill people gear too. I like them and use them as camp and glassing blankets and as comfort items when car camping. I However, when I am heading in deep, the weight is rarely justified when it really counts. Carrying #2 of woobie is hard to justify when a decent 20* is only a pound or so more. Can you swap your puffy for one? Maybe. It depends on when and where you use your puffy iMO. If you are pretty static, it works. If you are moving or doing things, the whole poncho or blanket drape thing can be a pain.

OP
Glockster26
I should have clarified my intended use.
I currently use a 20* down bag with a mil surplus woobie to help if the bag alone is not enough for my desired comfort. Didn’t know if was worth the extra coin.

Athame

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe think of an enlightened equipment synthetic quilt paired with your bag. You could get an enigma in wide in Apex and it would fit right over your bag. I use a kifaru woobie with a WM Summerlite 32 degree bag or an EE quilt in 20 degree and am thinking of the getting the set up I just mentioned.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The combo I just mentioned has treated me very nicely. My only gripe is that the woobie doesn’t pack down very small
I liked my slick bag too but it was about the size of 2 down bags when compressed and wasn’t very warm at all even at ~30 degrees.

With that in mind, I’d actually buy one again but my expectation would be different. It would make for a good bag during moose season.

Athame

Lil-Rokslider
I liked my slick bag too but it was about the size of 2 down bags when compressed.
They’re huge. My woobie barely fits in the compression sack I use for a Long Feathered Friends 0 degree bag.

I’m thinking the EE wide enigma synthetic quilt in 20 degrees would pack much smaller.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
They’re huge. My woobie barely fits in the compression sack I use for a Long Feathered Friends 0 degree bag.

I’m thinking the EE wide enigma synthetic quilt in 20 degrees would pack much smaller.
Those quilts are cool but I’m just not completely sold on them, I’m not trying to argue but for me, my western mountaineering badger is awesome. I was hunting with a friend a few months ago, he had a quilt and was sleeping in his puffy layers (pants and jacket), I was in my boxers and t shirt in my badger.

For a synthetic bag, I use a basic north face cats meow, it’s not luxurious by any means but I’ve climbed into it soaking wet and dried out fairly quickly. If it was a few inches wider it would be perfect.

Athame

Lil-Rokslider
Those quilts are cool but I’m just not completely sold on them

I understand. It’s quite a switch. I love mine though and I’m thinking I’ll get a second one but in Apex. I just can’t decide about the shape. Sewed in toe box or not.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I understand. It’s quite a switch. I love mine though and I’m thinking I’ll get a second one but in Apex. I just can’t decide about the shape. Sewed in toe box or not.
I saw one that could be used like a blanket or zipped into a tube and had a drawstring down by the feet. That’s probably what I’d get.

Lawnboi

WKR
I use a kifaru woobie over my bag when applicable. And around camp. Iv used it for glassing but really it dosnt get used much for that. Nice to have for an emergency night out, as is a tarp.

I have used it quite a bit over my down mags to provide some extra warmth.

Something I think is worth to keep around.

Beyond cold weather hunting it works fine for a summer sleeping bag along with something nice for spending nights in the truck.

moximouse

Lil-Rokslider
I have a lot of woobies, one kifaru woobie and several group one equipment liners.

They are fantastic for what they are.

I have comfortably used the kifaru woobie by itself down to the low 40s. It’s great for a stand-alone summer option, or to supplement a mid-bag in the winter.

They are best for their intended purpose, which is temporary or expedient shelter.

I have spent innumerable nights on the ground or in a humvee with only a woobie, and in those instances where packability is not the main concern it excels (and blows the issue woobie out of the water).

My personal favorite is the group one equipment recon liner. I have one side Multicam, one side Multicam alpine. It’s the perfect size to drape over your shoulders at an OP, or while glassing, or spending a surprise night in a truck. It’s also a good size and weight for supplementing a sleeping bag.

Again- they excel in specific use-case situations, but not necessarily as a replacement for a sleep system.