Wolves in CO gone wild

I have a liberal friend who moved to Colorado Springs a few years ago and lives in the Cheyenne Mountain/Broadmoor area. He doesnt hunt and always sends me photos of Mule deer and Turkey in his neighborhood with the occasional Elk or Bear pic. I cant wait until he sends me a picture of a wolf pack killing an Elk on the golf course at the Broadmoor.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
What gets me is, the areas least affected by the predators, are generally the most populated. For example Ca. the vote to ban Mt lion hunting in 1990. LA, San Diego, Riverside, and San Bernardino, are the most populous counties, but are the least affected by Mt. lions, where kills of livestock are concerned. The rural counties most affected just don't have the voting numbers to effect the passage of such initiatives, and they are the ones most affected by livestock losses. When one politicians or celebrity has a child, family member or close friend attacked, mauled or killed by a Mt. lion , then things may change.

It was strictly passed by the front range every county outside of the front range voted no. Including the western slop where I live. That’s the politics of Colorado front range decides everything even if the rest of the entire state votes against it.
I mean, isn't that where most of the people are?

And how American politics are supposed to work?

taskswap

WKR
OK is it just a little wrong of me to be just a LITTLE glad they're killing cattle? I'm not saying I'm happy they're here. I'm not. But... having them kill elk would get zero news coverage and tons of city dwellers nodding knowingly about "nature's balance" over their IPAs and (90% beef) "elk burgers." A decline in elk numbers for hunters wouldn't even move the needle. They'd be happy about it. Nobody would be up in arms about it (enough to matter).

But mess with ranchers, now...

Maybe ranchers need to be paid $50k a head for confirmed wolf-kills. Take it out of RTD's budget. God knows they don't know what to do with the money anyway...

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
OK is it just a little wrong of me to be just a LITTLE glad they're killing cattle? I'm not saying I'm happy they're here. I'm not. But... having them kill elk would get zero news coverage and tons of city dwellers nodding knowingly about "nature's balance" over their IPAs and (90% beef) "elk burgers." A decline in elk numbers for hunters wouldn't even move the needle. They'd be happy about it. Nobody would be up in arms about it (enough to matter).

But mess with ranchers, now...

Maybe ranchers need to be paid $50k a head for confirmed wolf-kills. Take it out of RTD's budget. God knows they don't know what to do with the money anyway...

They don't care about Ranchers or Cattle either. They'll chalk it up to "they were here first" or "that's what you get for living in their backyard"....all the while ignorantly ignoring that their cookie cutter house in the 'burbs is also "in their backyard".

cjdewese

WKR
What gets me is, the areas least affected by the predators, are generally the most populated. For example Ca. the vote to ban Mt lion hunting in 1990. LA, San Diego, Riverside, and San Bernardino, are the most populous counties, but are the least affected by Mt. lions, where kills of livestock are concerned. The rural counties most affected just don't have the voting numbers to effect the passage of such initiatives, and they are the ones most affected by livestock losses. When one politicians or celebrity has a child, family member or close friend attacked, mauled or killed by a Mt. lion , then things may change.
I live in one of those counties in CA and a rural community at that. We have a family that has been ranching here since the mid 1800's and subdivided the area I live in, it's gross to see the Mtn Lion issue they face and can't do anything about. They used to get Depredation permits fairly easy when a calf or multiple calves were killed by a MTN lion. The last one they got, it was only after the 6th calf they lost that year to a single older HUGE MTN Lion.

I have heard rumors that they are handling the issue themselves, but they are rumors. ;)

Also our local Game Wardens have made it very very clear that if we fear for our lives while hunting we can kill them.

Hnthrdr

WKR

Yes and no. We should even on the state level be more of a republic, vs a straight democracy, and for some items in Co like amendments to the state constitution we are. Ie you have to get a majority of counties to pass it, here was just a majority of votes with a very low level threshold to get an item on the ballot. It is not a good thing and needs to stop. For example in straight democracy if “50.1%” of the people believe a certain group or practice or thing should be outlawed or imposed then should it? To me that is mob rule and real slippery slope world to live in.

Not exactly. There are checks and balances to protect minority populations, including rural populations, from the “tyranny of the majority”. Examples of such checks and balances would be Supreme Court, bicameral legislature w/ house and senate, etc. Ballot initiatives are generally regarded as a poor tool for implementing policies, it allows 50.0001% of the population to disadvantage 49.999% with very little consideration given. Ballot initiatives should be an absolute last ditch option and should require at least 60% to pass, in my opinion.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Not exactly. There are checks and balances to protect minority populations, including rural populations, from the “tyranny of the majority”. Examples of such checks and balances would be Supreme Court, bicameral legislature w/ house and senate, etc. Ballot initiatives are generally regarded as a poor tool for implementing policies, it allows 50.0001% of the population to disadvantage 49.999% with very little consideration given. Ballot initiatives should be an absolute last ditch option and should require at least 60% to pass, in my opinion.
I would go a step further and make it 65-70% to pass a ballot initiative, you know something so overwhelming popular you capture a very clear super majority

taskswap

WKR
They don't care about Ranchers or Cattle either. They'll chalk it up to "they were here first" or "that's what you get for living in their backyard"....all the while ignorantly ignoring that their cookie cutter house in the 'burbs is also "in their backyard".
My point was, ranchers are much more powerful and more noisy than birds. Only the birds see when the wolves take an elk. But I have to hope for SOMETHING so I guess I'm hoping that maybe the ranchers will be heard. I missed my elk draw. Don't take away my only other dream.

Ohya1

FNG
My point was, ranchers are much more powerful and more noisy than birds. Only the birds see when the wolves take an elk. But I have to hope for SOMETHING so I guess I'm hoping that maybe the ranchers will be heard. I missed my elk draw. Don't take away my only other drea
My point was, ranchers are much more powerful and more noisy than birds. Only the birds see when the wolves take an elk. But I have to hope for SOMETHING so I guess I'm hoping that maybe the ranchers will be heard. I missed my elk draw. Don't take away my only other dream.
It’s the playbook used in ca to put ranchers out of business. Kill off livestock and the last of the deer population and blame the fires on global climate change

I hope they come through Loveland pass like the plaque. I hope they leave devastation and dead elk on the outskirts of Denver on their way to Kansas!!! I hope everyone that was uncertain or voted for their release, has to physically walk their dog because it’s no longer safe to let foot in the back yard alone. I just hope it gets western real quick. It’s the only hope common sense stands against this kind of irrational thought.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I hope they come through Loveland pass like the plaque. I hope they leave devastation and dead elk on the outskirts of Denver on their way to Kansas!!! I hope everyone that was uncertain or voted for their release, has to physically walk their dog because it’s no longer safe to let foot in the back yard alone. I just hope it gets western real quick. It’s the only hope common sense stands against this kind of irrational thought.
Don't fool yourself into believing most people have a speck of common sense.