Wolf killed by Duck Hunter in Wisconsin

Unless you're inspector gadget, you aren't going to touch it at that yardage. Now, I give the kid a little leeway on the distance from probably being overly excited and freaked out.
Wolves here in Wisconsin are a serious problem. Just add that to the list of animals our DNR has mismanaged.

CorbLand

WKR
Unless you're inspector gadget, you aren't going to touch it at that yardage. Now, I give the kid a little leeway on the distance from probably being overly excited and freaked out.
Wolves here in Wisconsin are a serious problem. Just add that to the list of animals our DNR has mismanaged.
Aren’t wolves in Wisconsin under federal management?

CorbLand

WKR
They are, yes but the DNR provides population data.
How has Wisconsin DNR mismanaged them if it’s the feds making the decisions?

It doesn’t matter how many there are. It’s nearly impossible to get them delisted. The major reason Idaho, Montana and Wyoming were able to get state management is due to Federal budget cuts in 2007/2008.

If your going to blame people. Blame people for things they actually do.

Yeah in the phone video it sure sounds like they’re blowing a rabbit-in-distress call. I could see some naive kids thinking it could be cool to call a wolf in just for fun to get a look at one only to realize they’d got more than they bargained for. If that was the case, then this 19 year old is culpable and should be disciplined according to Wisconsin law.

I wonder what folks would think if I started making estrous cow moose calls because I was bored waiting for an elk to come into a wallow that I have patterned here in Colorado. Giant trophy bull moose responds to call and comes in grunting. Winds me in the brush and then attacks and I blast him in the face. “Gee I’m sorry Mr. Warden I was bored and didn’t think any moose would actually come in to my calls.”
Well that’s just wild. Kinda don’t know what else you would suspect by using a predator call….

Byrdman

FNG
I had to laugh at their estimate of 1,000 wolves. I live in north central Wisconsin and have been to a couple meetings where the topic of wolves came up. There are definitely a lot more than that. Conservationists said it straight out. When they were off of the protected list and had the first season on them here it got shut down not long after it started because more wolves were harvested in such a short period than they expected.

OP
C

CMP70306

WKR
Yeah in the phone video it sure sounds like they’re blowing a rabbit-in-distress call. I could see some naive kids thinking it could be cool to call a wolf in just for fun to get a look at one only to realize they’d got more than they bargained for. If that was the case, then this 19 year old is culpable and should be disciplined according to Wisconsin law.

I wonder what folks would think if I started making estrous cow moose calls because I was bored waiting for an elk to come into a wallow that I have patterned here in Colorado. Giant trophy bull moose responds to call and comes in grunting. Winds me in the brush and then attacks and I blast him in the face. “Gee I’m sorry Mr. Warden I was bored and didn’t think any moose would actually come in to my calls.”

If they were calling ducks then they were already making predator noises which is what probably brought the wolves in in the first place. The issue isn’t that the wolf was there, it’s that when you stand up and start yelling at it to let it know you are people and it doesn’t stop coming that it becomes a problem.