Wolf killed by Duck Hunter in Wisconsin

Interesting. I lost a coyote not much further than that with a lead turkey load and choke.
Watched a coyote get shot running quartering away at 25 paced yards. A 1-1/8 ounce load of #6 shot from my brother’s IC choked 16 ga dropped him on the spot. We were pheasant hunting in SD and the coyote took off from the opposite side of a stone pile.

I was impressed but wouldn’t take that combo out on purpose while calling coyotes. More like full choke #2’s.

Last edited:

bigv

Lil-Rokslider
Watched a coyote get shot running quartering away at 25 paced yards. A 1-1/8 ounce load of #6 shot from my brother’s IC choked 16 ga dropped him on the spot. We were pheasant hunting in SD and the coyote took off from the opposite side of a stone pile.

I was impressed but wouldn’t take that combo out on purpose while calling coyotes. More like full choke #2’s.
That was lead shot I assume. Way better results with that for sure!

Man that's spooky, luckily the wolves were apprehensive and didn't just jump on them.

Saw this quote from the linked article:
"Wolves are still listed as federally endangered in Wisconsin, and it is illegal to kill them to defend livestock or pets. But they can be killed to protect human life, which is what Melton says he did."

I'm sorry but if a pack of wolves grabs my duck dog I'm happily going to jail and murdering every single one of them, not only to save my dog but future people's dogs too.

Backyard

WKR
"St. Germain, where this incident took place, is in north-central Wisconsin, about 20 miles from the Canadian border."
They're a little farther than 20 miles from the Canadian border.

I'm glad they're alright, I'm going to guess that each one of those kids is now going to be a little scared to head out and enjoy the outdoors, which is unfortunate. Hope the DNR does the right thing and tell him he did the right thing and congratulate him on protecting the other hunters in the blind.

Where did you get the “20 miles from Canada” statement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
Wondering if there's video? Seems every Gen Z today records their daily adventure, no matter what it is.
there is a cell phone video in this news interview, he was blowing a predator call to bring the wolf closer. 45 second mark.
I wonder if the DNR will have any issue with that? I still think I would have shot the wolf, but I think this was an issue of some kids playing around with the wolf and then it became an oh crap situation when they became surrounded

Good for them! Glad the boys are okay! Definitely will keep their head on swivels now in the woods! Definitely a better bag than any duck hunts I’ve been on.

AZ8

WKR
there is a cell phone video in this news interview, he was blowing a predator call to bring the wolf closer. 45 second mark.
I wonder if the DNR will have any issue with that? I still think I would have shot the wolf, but I think this was an issue of some kids playing around with the wolf and then it became an oh crap situation when they became surrounded
Thanks for that.

I wouldn’t be doing any TV interviews. Any inconsistency could open things up to make your life miserable. Even the DNR official said the investigation remains open.

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Saw this quote from the linked article:
"Wolves are still listed as federally endangered in Wisconsin, and it is illegal to kill them to defend livestock or pets. But they can be killed to protect human life, which is what Melton says he did."
But, but, but...........the government experts assured us wolves never attack humans.

According to wolf.org According to the latest research, which studied worldwide data from 2002 to 2020, the risks associated with a wolf attack are “above zero, but far too low to calculate.”

That makes them about as dangerous as Murder Bunnies, right?

NRA4LIFE

WKR
That's not too far from property I co-own and my brother's place. And that statement about most of them being in the northern 1/3 of the state is BS. My buddy has 100's of them on cameras and his place is near Tomah. They've infested most of the state.

And, BTW, I nearly took a coyotes head off with a turkey load at 15 yards.

Yeah in the phone video it sure sounds like they’re blowing a rabbit-in-distress call. I could see some naive kids thinking it could be cool to call a wolf in just for fun to get a look at one only to realize they’d got more than they bargained for. If that was the case, then this 19 year old is culpable and should be disciplined according to Wisconsin law.

I wonder what folks would think if I started making estrous cow moose calls because I was bored waiting for an elk to come into a wallow that I have patterned here in Colorado. Giant trophy bull moose responds to call and comes in grunting. Winds me in the brush and then attacks and I blast him in the face. “Gee I’m sorry Mr. Warden I was bored and didn’t think any moose would actually come in to my calls.”