With the good..comes the bad..

mntnguide

WKR
Im sitting here unwinding from what turned into a pretty intense day...Few days ago I happily agreed to help a great friend on his last bear hunt..more than anything I just wanted to get into the hills!! ..We rode into camp yesterday, hunted one bait last night that has a big bear on it, but he has been nocturnal and decided not to give us a chance..so this morning my friend and I went to take a couple buckets of cookie dough that he uses to bait up to a couple of the other bait sites that have been getting hammered by a couple good bears...about 15 minutes out of camp, shit hit the fan!...for no reason at all, his horse BLEW UP! we were nowhere near the bait or any bear scent area...but that horse came uncorked..and he hit the dirt hard after making it a few rounds...His collarbone was smashed, Ribs broken, and lung bruised (according to the official doctor over 8 hours later). .
At this point we are 8 miles from the trailhead; no cell service at all until the trailhead; and in the heart of western WY mountains...While I hauled ass back to camp to catch that horse and saddle our others; and get the client packed and loaded...he began walking out..I picked him up on the trail little over an hour later, all the while we were in the midst of a nasty set of rain storms...He was in full shock, I fashioned a sling for him, and loaded him up on the gentlest horse he owns...going uphill was doable..but the moment we crested over and began heading down to the trailhead..the pressure from his ribs was killing him and he couldnt even breathe..I got him back off and the client and him took their time down the mountain, while I pulled all the stock to the trailhead and got them unloaded/unsaddled and I drove as far up the road I could with another pickup to make his walk as short as it could be....So, 8 hours after the accident, I pulled into the ER!
He is one tough SOB! and im just thankful for my experience in First Aid/Cpr classes every year over the past 10, and that he was able to stay awake and make it out...I dont know exactly what im going for in this post aside from my rambling..BUT between him and I, there is over 50 years of horse packing/riding experience; You just never know when a great day can turn into a life threatening one in a moment notice..He had rode that same horse the entire day before without even a sidestep off the trail. Horses are/and will always be, there own animal. Just because you think you are experienced, always be prepared for whatever could happen. If I had not been there, it could have been a much worse situation, so Im just thankful I took the opportunity to go have a good time in the mountains, and in turn was able to make sure my friend made it out under terrible circumstances. This is not my first time having a severe accident revolving around horses, but it was the furthest from civilization ive been for something this significant, Just gotta remember to stay calm and do what you know how to do hopefully, because at that point, its all you can do.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glad you all made it out okay----as you know, it could have been much worse.
And there is no such thing as a "bombproof" horse. I have stock but any more, I backpack hunt mostly. Much less trouble and I really have found where I end up at night is home====no worries about having to get back to the animals.

Randy

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It doesn't matter where they are, horses can and will do that whenever THEY feel like it. That happened to my cousin several years ago in camp. Nothing like a nice little rodeo to start the morning off with. But being a rodeo guy, he was able to overcome it and ride it out.

Hope you buddy heals up quickly.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Wow, what an event! I'm new to stock and using them in the backcountry and reading and hearing about theses experiences is daunting. I enjoy the heck out of our animals and love using them and I'm constantly reminded of the potential risk. Glad you and your bud made it out okay and wish him a speedy recovery. Nice job in keeping your cool and handling the situation too.

wyosteve

WKR
Had a buddy about 20 yrs. ago riding in sheep hunting when horse blew up, unloaded him and broke his arm. About 8 miles in. He took about 8 aspirin (all they had) and had to climb on the same horse to ride out! Not my idea of fun. Thankfully, in 30 years of riding/hunting/packing I've never had a major wreck, but as mentioned, it could happen in a moment's notice.

Schleppy

Lil-Rokslider
I heard/watched one happen last season as I was packing out. I passed a guy on the trail with two horses packed up with all his gear. I stopped and chatted with him for a few minutes and after I left I was about 60yds down the trail when I heard one of the horses go crazy. I ran back to make sure the guy was still alive. Apparently something on the horses back slid down his side and shifted the load and it triggered him. I got to the guy just in time to see him get up and throw his cowboy hat like a Frisbee, I was impressed by how far it went. He said he was ok so I left. I think if he had been riding that horse it would've killed him. It was doing backflips trying to get the imaginary predator off of its back. That horse had a brand new bowtech strapped on the side of it too, I didn't ask about the bow...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
About 20 years ago on a rifle elk hunt my buddy and I were on horses about 5 miles from camp when we bumped into a herd working their way across the quakies and towards the timber. I jumped off and shot the bull three times. When I was done I turned around and there was my buddy laying on his back with no horses to be found. When I started shooting his horse bucked him off and they took off.

Unfortunately, we had changed camps the day before and these horses seemed to be headed to the old camp which was about 10 miles away. We were in about a foot of snow, so easy to track. While I took care of the bull, my buddy went after the horses hoping that they'd stop and start milling about. 5 minutes later I hear him shooting. Now he has an elk down too. When we got done with both of them, we hiked back to camp and saddled up two more horses and went hunting for horses.

Eventually found them near the old camp, but man what a long day. Didn't get back to camp until almost 10pm that night. Fun stuff. Sometimes they're more trouble than they're worth.