With the ever increasing price of a North American Sheep hunt, where are the best values internationally?

cbeard64

WKR
I just don't know about the viability of a middle class guy spending the cost of a new F-150 on a Dall's sheep, or the price of a fully loaded F-350 on a Stone sheep.

If you think about it, it’s actually been pretty much that way for the last 50 years. Maybe substitute Stone for Dall and Bighorn for Stone. But even a Dall hunt has cost the equivalent of a decent new car for a long time.

Last edited:

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
I will have my eye out for a cancellation but full price isn't worh it to me.
cancellation wont be in the today economy an half bargain and on stone sheep per say you do not want to cheapening your hunt and of course it might affect your success ...

OP
N
So I've been browsing several hunts on Bookyourhunt.com and have included a handful of them below for reference to compare some domestic vs international options(all prices in USD).

Dall's Sheep in Alaska, $40,000.

Rocky Mountain Bighorn in British Columbia, $65,000.

Desert Bighorn in Mexico, $65,000.

Stone's Sheep in British Columbia, $125,000.

Blue Sheep in Nepal, $31,000.

Snow Sheep in Russia, $19,000.

Marco Polo in Kyrgyzstan, $27,000.

Mouflon Hunt in Austria, $4,500.

Tur in Azerbaijan, $6,900.

Urial in Pakistan, $20,000.

Mouflon hunts in Europe seem to be the most affordable by far of the sheep hunts, many well under $5,000.

So I've been browsing several hunts on Bookyourhunt.com and have included a handful of them below for reference to compare some domestic vs international options(all prices in USD).

Mouflon hunts in Europe seem to be the most affordable by far of the sheep hunts, many well under $5,000.
Good information Northern Safari and thanks for posting. If you can stick with a long-term plan and eventually draw a tag in the States, you will “save” some money.

From my example, I got extremely lucky and drew an Arizona DBHS tag with 13 NR points. The outfitter fee was $10,000 and travel costs from the Midwest for driving, food at cousin’s house in Phoenix, gasoline, etc. were right at $5,000. My shoulder mount is almost finished which I will just list at $1,000. So roughly $16,000 versus $65,000+++ for the Mexico private DBHS hunts.

I know it’s all dependent on the draws but there are still good hunts available if you’re diligent and disciplined over decades of application. I also try to schedule non-draw hunts every couple of years to have a guaranteed backup.

Happy hunting to all and good luck in the draws, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.

Now put average success rates next to those numbers and it really gets interesting. As I mentioned in previous post, I know of a $50K cancellation stone hunt for this year, 30K base hunt (includes goat), and a $20K trophy fee for stone. I also know of a solid stone outfitter that is charging $85K for this year. 125K is more for prophet muskwa, gundahoo, etc. Lots less than that.

OP
N
Now put average success rates next to those numbers and it really gets interesting. As I mentioned in previous post, I know of a $50K cancellation stone hunt for this year, 30K base hunt (includes goat), and a $20K trophy fee for stone. I also know of a solid stone outfitter that is charging $85K for this year. 125K is more for prophet muskwa, gundahoo, etc. Lots less than that.
I'm not sure what the posted success rates are for most of these. However, from what I've been hearing, the mid-asian hunts are practically 100%, given the sheer number of game you see on the hunt. I've been reading accounts in Tajikistan where hunters are seeing hundreds, if not thousands of Marco Polo over the course of their hunt, seeing trophy animals every single day.

It sounds like the European Mouflon hunts also have a high success rate, however I believe some of the cheaper 2-3 day ones in Germany/Austria are semi-canned hunts.

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
that is the questions to ask: when you are hunting for any stone areas:
how many tags/permits allowed/allocated for the 1,3 and 5 years period time and how many hunts conducted for the same period?
because at the end if the outfitter has 3 permits and using 5 hunts your chance to use your tag will be very slim.

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure what the posted success rates are for most of these. However, from what I've been hearing, the mid-asian hunts are practically 100%, given the sheer number of game you see on the hunt. I've been reading accounts in Tajikistan where hunters are seeing hundreds, if not thousands of Marco Polo over the course of their hunt, seeing trophy animals every single day.

It sounds like the European Mouflon hunts also have a high success rate, however I believe some of the cheaper 2-3 day ones in Germany/Austria are semi-canned hunts.
the problem is not only the cost but the trophy you can be looking for.

in europe there were some great locations for hunting chamois and mouflon but the increase of wolf population istaking a big toll on the different herds there. you can still hunt free non canned mouflon for less than $5000 but that will not include the travel to europe.

OP
N
So while looking up these hunts I also came across the following Goat/Capra hunts and have listed them in comparison as these species are often hunted in the same terrain as the sheep and often included in a combination hunt with the above.

DIY Tahr & Chamois hunt in New Zealand, just the cost of the licenses and travel.

Mountain goat hunt in British Columbia, $9,500 (booking this one).

Mountain goat hunt in Alaska, $18,500.

Rhonda Ibex hunt in Spain, $3,900.

Ibex Grand Slam (4 Species) in Spain, $21,000.

Mid-Asian Ibex hunt in Kyrgyzstan, $7,500

Bezoar Ibex hunt in Turkey, $10,000

Dagestan Tur hunt in Russian, $6000.

Markhor hunt in Pakistan, $128,000.

As you can see, aside from the Markhor, the Goat/Capra hunts present an affordable alternative if sheep are above your budget.

Last edited:
More great information, Northern Safari. I would not ignore the free range auodad/barbary sheep hunts in the mountains of West Texas or New Mexico.

I found the auodad hunt very challenging and nearly identical to a DBHS hunt without the tag draw, high hunt fees, and general hunting license.

Happy hunting and good luck, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.

MntHunter

FNG
So while looking up these hunts I also came across the following Goat/Capra hunts and have listed them in comparison as these species are often hunted in the same terrain as the sheep and often included in a combination hunt with the above.

DIY Tahr & Chamois hunt in New Zealand, just the cost of the licenses and travel.

As you can see, aside from the Markhor, the Goat/Capra hunts present an affordable alternative if sheep are above your budget.
The Bezoar Ibex isn't really 10k, I think that gets you to 90 or 100 cm, and then is between 150 to 300 dollars for each additional cm. I would guess you are looking at an Ibex between 110 and 120cm.

Thats a good price for an Ibex slam in Spain!

OMB

WKR

Are these directly from an outfitter or via a booking agent?

JP100

WKR
When it comes to a true 'sheep hunt' ie ovis species they are all expensive.
Mouflon being the only real exception, lots of these are hunts are forest type hunts, but some are in the true mountains of the alps.
The reality of many of the 'cheaper' sheep outfitters is the low success, there are guys out there charging 40k+ for camping trips....

When you look into the 'goats' options open up.

Mid Asian Ibex are good value

Rocky mountain goats(with the good guys) have gone up alot, most will be closer to 20k+ USD

Auodad are a good option, but most will be a pretty tame 'mountain' hunt in the scheme of things.

Chamois-good value options there in Europe, most which will be day hunt style from nicer accommodation.

Tahr and Chamois here(NZ) is one of the best options, even paying for a good outfitter it is well priced, safe and good success. And scalable with difficulty(different land and accommodation options)

Nice, $36,000 USD or $49,000.CDN sounds like a downright deal for a sheep hunt in 2025. About half of the other prices I've been seeing online.
I called Gana River about booking a dall hunt after seeing their price list. They are booked through the 2028 season right now and told me to figure on adding at least 10% to the listed hunt price annually for every year leading up to the year you are booked.

2026 = $41,800
2027 = $45,980
2028 = $50,580
2029 (Next available opening) = $55,635

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
Always a little weird guys that post on sheep topics saying they don’t care to sheep hunt. It’s like a cry for help. Why waste any time reading or engaging in something you don’t care about? Very weird.

Can’t wait for sheep season!
for us one month and half ... cant believe how fast spring went this year.