With the ever increasing price of a North American Sheep hunt, where are the best values internationally?

I had a friend recently return from bear hunting in Russia. Definitely a great value if you don't mind the risk factor. He never felt uncomfortable from a risk perspective besides his nerves going through customs. I won't be going to Russia anytime soon, but he's going back for moose and sheep!
Yeah all these "risky" countries are likely where the best deals are to be had today. I'll likely stick with what id consider safe destinations Spain, Austria, New Zealand etc.

I had a friend recently return from bear hunting in Russia. Definitely a great value if you don't mind the risk factor. He never felt uncomfortable from a risk perspective besides his nerves going through customs. I won't be going to Russia anytime soon, but he's going back for moose and sheep!
I got a lot of guts driven from South Africa through the Mozambique border and all over the world. But I don't think I would be going to Russia wow.

I talked to Harold at the Sheep Show in January. He is booked out thru 2027 and would not even give me a price. He just said it will be SUBSTANTIALLY more than the $38g listed.
That's too bad for us, great for him though. I wonder if there are many other Outfitters in NWT/Yukon that offer similar prices? I haven't seen any.

well i doubt the yukon will be cheaper when some are still selling fanning for stone but i get the grand slam ideas but our biologists published a while ago adn studies fannin are dall but the memo did not reach the sellers nor the buyers ...

That's too bad for us, great for him though. I wonder if there are many other Outfitters in NWT/Yukon that offer similar prices? I haven't seen any.

There's a few openings here and there for 2024/2025 that I'm aware of in the low 40's, but throw in a caribou, even on a trophy fee and you're in for 50+. Basically assume everything has doubled in the last 6-7 years.

well i doubt the yukon will be cheaper when some are still selling fanning for stone but i get the grand slam ideas but our biologists published a while ago adn studies fannin are dall but the memo did not reach the sellers nor the buyers ...

That is all incorrect. You are going to have to cite your source when you put out information like that.

Actually there was a definitive DNA study done years ago that showed Dall and Yukon Fannin sheep have identical DNA and are actually same species.

That said, it would be super problematic to change the grand slam rules this far into the process so they were not changed.

My “Stone’s” is a Fannin I took in 2006 and I now have a slam. The Fannin was and is my favorite colored sheep, was my first ram and was the only one I thought I would take at the time. I don’t care and have never cared what others think about my rams or my hunts. I don’t hunt for anyone else.

That is all incorrect. You are going to have to cite your source when you put out information like that.
let me put back the studies published and you will owe apologies ... i do not care about grand slam and stone fannin or dall needed for it but the science did something that was not well accepted among grand slam users ...

good morning all.

here is the controversy links related to thinhorn sheep in the yukon.
one of the study demonstrated that on 2800 dna sheeps only 1 was found to be related to stone sheep ...

let me know in pm/dm if you need the contact of the researcher i wont publish it here.

I read the same DNA studies. This is based on DNA from the horn drill cuttings collected when installing the mandatory plug in harvested rams.

Really shrinks the boundaries for what are true Stone sheep based on DNA.

let me put back the studies published and you will owe apologies ... i do not care about grand slam and stone fannin or dall needed for it but the science did something that was not well accepted among grand slam users ...
Thank you. I apologize. I recall reading one from the early 2000s that did not come to that conclusion. But technology and research techniques have definitely improved in 20 years. I’ll see if I can dig it up.

I think I'm going to book a goat hunt first to dabble into mountain hunting. The "poor" man's sheep.

Found a Canadian hunt for $9,500 USD.

I just don't know about the viability of a middle class guy spending the cost of a new F-150 on a Dall's sheep, or the price of a fully loaded F-350 on a Stone sheep.

Back