Wirehaired pointing griffon breeders

OP
Eltigreblanco
I just bought my first Griff from Cliff Koele at Coppershot Kennels. Oscar is now 10 weeks old, and has a kee nose and pointing instinct (butterflies, meadowlarks, etc...).

Cliff has been breeding and hunting over Griffs for over 50 years and knows his stuff. The purchase experience was the best I've ever had, and Cliff and his wife are just wonderful people. They are a long ways from NV, but he ships dogs to all 50 states and internationally.

Cliff's prices are roughly 1/3 of the other breeders I researched which was nice, but most importantly, when you buy a dog from Cliff it is YOUR dog. He doesn't have any hairy contracts or other red tape when you buy a dog from him. All the other breeders we looked at had hard contracts with penalties up to $10k for breech.

Good luck in your search and I can't recommend Cliff and Coppershot any higher. He was just welping another litter when we picked up Oscar 3 weeks ago, and he may have pups available.

Coppershot Griffons on Facebook
https://www.coppershotgriffons.com/
Thank you for the info. I will make sure to reach out to him

lks2

FNG
I have a griff and live in Henderson. She has a very short coat compared to a lot of griffs, but the heat is still an issue. feel free to PM me any questions.

Congrats! Super cute, and mine is 4 months now and full of pi$$ and vinegar. :)

That is the same pheasant toy in both pictures. They grow fast!

What breeder did you end up going with?

Attachments

• Oscar 7 weeks.jpg
    Oscar 7 weeks.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Oscar 7 weeks pheasant.jpg
    Oscar 7 weeks pheasant.jpg
    630.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Oscar 4 months pheasant.jpg
    Oscar 4 months pheasant.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 41
OP
Eltigreblanco
Congrats! Super cute, and mine is 4 months now and full of pi$$ and vinegar. :)

That is the same pheasant toy in both pictures. They grow fast!

What breeder did you end up going with?
We got him from coppershot also. Cliff is in the process of retiring, and Troy is taking over

Can anybody tell me if Griffs are wanderers? We live out in the country with no fence and we just put our dog outside and he stays pretty close. He comes back to the door when he’s ready.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
You live in the country so that's good. They are high energy dogs and need plenty of exercise daily. Being hunting dogs they will likely go out doing lots of exploring so, until you have worked them and get them to respond to, come commands, keep good eye on them and under your control. I have never had one, I am a GSP kind of guy but my neighbor has one and his is a big runner and when not being carefully watched he will run off. Like I said just be sure to work on come commands and make sure he follows command before you trust him.

^^^Yep training is key and we wouldn’t let him out off sight till he’s trained and older. I was just curious if they tend to wander off by nature. Current dog is an Idaho Shag and he likes to stay close to his pack. He gets lots of exercise from spring bear hunting to mountain biking to birds To snowshoeing.

Braaap

WKR
I have two griffs and I wouldn’t call them wanderers. We live in a neighborhood but when we visit family and friends with land they never wander off, but mine always have a gps collar on and have been trained to reliably come back when I want them to. I’ve had other breeds before that would wander off and my griffs don’t do that. They will always circle back and find me.

sndmn11

WKR
Can anybody tell me if Griffs are wanderers? We live out in the country with no fence and we just put our dog outside and he stays pretty close. He comes back to the door when he’s ready.

One of the reasons we got a Griff was because of their bred characteristic to stay close. I thought this would be good for fly fishing, and it has. When hiking and camping Juniper stays really close.

Broomd

WKR
Having owned griffs for over 15 years I can say that they love to explore. How far would depend on your training and them knowing exactly what is expected of them and their parameters.

Our sire died in '16, and our dam in '17. Will be getting another male griff pup this year.
Amazing how they were so little known just a few years ago and now finally guys are seeing the merit in this incredible breed.