Winter kill is real

I was wondering how bad is was. I haven’t applied yet because of all the reports of winter kill. I haven’t heard how bad it is in the Gunnison Basin, but I’ve heard it’s bad in a lot areas of the West.

Laramie

WKR
It is really, really bad in some areas this year. Elk are taking some losses but it is the deer, and especially the antelope that are being hit the hardest. Those guys planning to apply this year should do their homework before applying.

11boo

WKR
It’s going to be bad I’m afraid. Another Couple feet coming to the high country this week.

this was november out here at 10k.

2725EFD7-3AA7-4408-9281-6A10662C0DD0.jpeg

jfk69

FNG
Mother Nature takes no prisoners. That sucks, hoping to do the 4th hunt next fall in Craig. It will hopefully be my first elk hunt.

I’m torn between applying or not. I can get drawn for the unit I’ve been looking for. I was also considering unit 57/58, but can’t find too much info on those units for archery.

Something I haven’t heard talked about. I havent really researched CWD , with the harsh winter kill will this help mitigate the CWD ? Obviously only the strong will survive this winter.

I don’t know about eastern NV but the Sierra has 50 feet of snow and it’s been relentless since Nov. I expect tag quotas to be way down.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
BTW - where the pic was taken is OTC Archery Elk and OTC Rifle Bulls for 2nd & 3rd Seasons.

bradyhunt

FNG
Welp, guess 23 seasons are cancelled...

In SW Colorado, I've found multiple dead calves and cows on my property and plenty others visible along roads that are not roadkill.
Definitely areas where there is more sun exposure and there is some feed starting to come up- so there is hope for those still scraping by.
I've heard guys talk about how their gut bacteria won't be able to handle an abrupt feed switch from leaf litter, sticks, bark, and other detritus to fresh green. I'm not sure if that's a legitimate concern or not as it's more gradual that people think.

Up in Steamboat this week and have heard from a few locals the number of dead elk is really high. Apparently hwy 13 from meeker to Craig had dozens of dead visible from the road.

Anyone know if CPW usually reports on winter kill by gmu?

KineKilla

WKR
Welp, guess 23 seasons are cancelled...

In SW Colorado, I've found multiple dead calves and cows on my property and plenty others visible along roads that are not roadkill.
Definitely areas where there is more sun exposure and there is some feed starting to come up- so there is hope for those still scraping by.
I've heard guys talk about how their gut bacteria won't be able to handle an abrupt feed switch from leaf litter, sticks, bark, and other detritus to fresh green. I'm not sure if that's a legitimate concern or not as it's more gradual that people think.
I've heard the same thing. Many deer starve to death while trying to switch from brown to green food sources.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk