Winter kill is real

chindits

WKR
And this is why making harvest reporting in CO doesn’t amount to a hill of beans and would be a waste of money. The only herd count that matters is the number that make it through the winter and calf/fawn recruitment that spring/summer. With that decisions can be made on tag allotments.
Look at some of those units they just opened up to doe tags again. Maybe not the best decision after this winter.

The harvest numbers only tell you how successful the hunters were that year. Early snows and drought concentrated herds give higher harvest numbers but don’t really reflect herd health and have no reliable reflection of next year’s herd.

ColoradoV

WKR
It’s not only in the northwest but other places. The south west just got 5 ish feet of snow depending on where you are at.

Gunnison basin is surpassing 2008 pry not many folks remember that year. But it changed deer hunting in the Gunnison basin forever. Only have 93 to beat now even less of you were around to remember 93’ or moral of the story is expect a big winter kill for Gunny deer this year. Elk are doing much better…

Going to be noticeable many places again this year…

Here is the Gunnison graph. You can compare 93, 08, 17, and now 2023….7BD81BC9-21D4-47A9-AA63-FE4421433BA5.jpeg

Bad news for sure. I’m aware this was an issue since the 1st of the year.
I purchased an elk tag from a land owner for this year near Meeker.

Would like to hear from the locals witnessing elk loss in that area.
What percentage is calves, vs mature cows, and bulls?

Taudisio

WKR
Woke up to 4” and snowing heavy in SW OR. I assume this one will be rolling east the same way others have been.

I've heard the same thing. Many deer starve to death while trying to switch from brown to green food sources.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

They basically starve to death with a belly full of green grass. I believe it’s known as grass tetanus in cattle. The green grass shoots up so fast there’s nothing in it besides some fibers and water. The vitamins, minerals and protein take a bit longer to work their way up into the plant. The deer naturally eat it because after a long winter some fresh green grass sure looks appetizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ckleeves

WKR
It’s not only in the northwest but other places. The south west just got 5 ish feet of snow depending on where you are at.

Gunnison basin is surpassing 2008 pry not many folks remember that year. But it changed deer hunting in the Gunnison basin forever. Only have 93 to beat now even less of you were around to remember 93’ or moral of the story is expect a big winter kill for Gunny deer this year. Elk are doing much better…

Going to be noticeable many places again this year…

Here is the Gunnison graph. You can compare 93, 08, 17, and now 2023….View attachment 536039
Wow I didn’t think we had topped 2008 just off memory of what things looked like then vs now. It seems like maybe it’s more regional and some warm sunny days to burn some off vs 2008 where it seemed there wasn’t bare ground even on the south faces until April.

I’m sure there will be winterkill but I just don’t see it being 2008 bad up there. Time will tell but let’s hope not. The last thing the deer need up there is a heavy winterkill year.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
We have 1 moose next to our driveway and another just down the road. There gut is designed to digest different plants. Moose can not digest hay. But they keep breaking into our hay shed.
Seems like the calves had a worse time. The cows n bulls I've seen looking great. Lots of pregnant looking cows. We are fortunate to see them daily in the winter. And usually have some hanging around all winter. We have a little pond me n kids built for my beautiful wife n mom. Darn moose will take it over and use it for a wallow. And somehow they know to eat your garden just before you want to harvest it. Have to use an electric fence if you want much chance. When a thousand pounds of moose wants something they can get it.
Yeah winter kill will be noticed all the way down the chain. The wolves are having a ball but will come upon hard times because of overkill and starve, get infected with mange or lice because they are weak.
It's nature you'll have that

GotDraw?

WKR
This is why it is important that ranchers graze all leased meadows to the ground before Fall and mow all their owned Fields close for hay and leave little to no high standing forage.

Massive snow accumulation will also force the deer and elk to herd up in small valleys or open areas. This is important because it will take pressure off the wolves and they will have best odds of survival since they can run on top of the snow and easily pick off a meal when needed.

In this way, only the strongest Elk and Deer will survive. It is best this way. Do not be concerned about winter kill. Science, Colorado F&G, the citizens of CO, the BLM and Forest service all agree.

JL

Last edited:

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
Damn I was planning on hunting an OTC unit in NW CO this fall...guess I'll have to figure out a plan b now. The west is a mess this year...

fishslap

WKR
I was kind of wondering the same thing, but that’s just what the article states. I’m assuming 40% for deer and antelope
I figured the same. It would be wild if they did 40% reduction for draw elk hunt codes in those units and left the OTC seasons untouched. Maybe they’ll do an emergency change and implement an OTC with caps on the OTC seasons this year. Seems reasonable to consider.

It is really, really bad in some areas this year. Elk are taking some losses but it is the deer, and especially the antelope that are being hit the hardest. Those guys planning to apply this year should do their homework before applying.
What is your strategy this year?
Cpw is saying 40% cuts in nw Colorado

Thats crazy. Do you think there will still be OTC tags available?

Laramie

WKR
What is your strategy this year?

Thats crazy. Do you think there will still be OTC tags available?
I'm going to hunt other states for antelope and mule deer. Hoping my son gets his elk tag.

Yeah, there will be otc tags for elk. Elk are the least impacted by the winter.

I live in Teton Valley, Idaho. Usually by this time most of the valley floor (6,200 ft +/-) is mostly dry, but this year we have a lingering 4-5 ft of snow. The poor deer are living in people's yards in town to find whatever food they can. The 100+ elk herd that grazes in the field next to my house this time of year has yet to show up. Hopefully we see them soon. I took a walk on my skis up from the house last week to check on things. I found several deer trails that were wallowing through 5 or 6 feet of snow. It's going to be bad... Maybe take this year off?

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
We got a fair bit of snow this year very early on but temps have been mild and the snow really didnt accumulate much. All the animals I have seen have looked good. I think we dodged a bullet that hit the US.