Windproof winter pants

go_deep

WKR
Looking for a windproof winter pant for late season hunting, waterproof a plus, durable in brush. Primarily hiking, spot and stalk type use, will layer under as needed, so don't want something super thick.
Snowboarding pants have me curious.

Any first hand recommendations?

matthewmt

WKR
Snowboarding pants were my 1st thought. I'm sure there are some bomber windstopper pants tho, maybe arcteryx or some of those mountaineering brands.

ETA a goof pair of level 6 GTX milsurp pants with some easy diy suspender tabs sewn on would be a light bomber shell on the move and wind resistant while sitting etc.
Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SPEDRAY

FNG
I have used kuiu's axis series for the last two years. They have been used well below zero degrees and had used them into the upper 40's. They have side vents to expel heat when to warm and never had a problem with moisture penetrating them. They are a little heavy but do is all winter type pants

yfarm

WKR
The level 6 gtx is a noisier fabric than the level 4 or 5 windshell fabric. Wear the 4s over fleece pants with silkweight base, movement is not restricted, no sense of weight, don’t wet out sitting or lying in low moisture high altitude snow as the fabric is nylon. Have been in blizzard conditions with above on the lower with silkweight base, 100 wt fleece , 800 fill down jacket and level 4 shell upper and been warm and had no sense I was loaded down with heavy clothing.

I've been looking at the Kings camo Lone peak pants for this exact thing. Fleece line, windproof. Could be the ticket.

matthewmt

WKR
I have a set of pcu level 5 top/bottoms they're essentially my rain gear except I run a marmot precip top most of the time for the pit zips. Level 5 is legit. If you can find some patagonia lvl 5 bottoms (ebay) they're nice and robust not as quiet as FL rain gear but once wet they are. If your hunting whitetail in the mid west then Silence is probably of the utmost. Out here in the west lvl 5/6, whatever gear is fine imo hell I've seen nice bucks killed and elk walk into camp while breaking sticks and making fires.
Staying dry and light is #1.

For late season cold, I would have said Sitka timberlines until I got a pair of axis last year. Waterproof in all the right places without being a sweat box. Ran mine in single digits with base layers and was OK.

I have a pair of wool pants that are pretty hard to beat. I like the idea of fleece covered with a wind shell mentioned above.

OP
go_deep

go_deep

WKR
I have a pair of wool pants that are pretty hard to beat. I like the idea of fleece covered with a wind shell mentioned above.

I have several codet wool pants, and similar wool pants. Last couple weekends the wind is kicking around 40+ and it cuts through the pants.
Thinking about taking a flyer on a pair or two of snowboard pants with the fleece liner.

Wrench

WKR
I'm not sure anything is better than the bora pants. I seam seal mine with silicone cut with white gas on the seams and they suddenly are 100%waterproof and breathe better than anything I've tried.

They're made from scholler c change fabric so anything else made with that should perform similarly.

Clarktar

WKR
I'm not sure anything is better than the bora pants. I seam seal mine with silicone cut with white gas on the seams and they suddenly are 100%waterproof and breathe better than anything I've tried.

They're made from scholler c change fabric so anything else made with that should perform similarly.
White gas! Shit I never thought of that. I always am running around looking for mineral spirits!