Wind proof Fleece Jacket?

I am looking for a wind proof fleece to use as an outer layer for late season bow hunting. I noticed the Kuiu version doesn’t get a favorable review. Has anyone tried the Kings hunter series wind defender fleece. The garment doesn’t have to be camo. I am warm natured and the Sitka stratus is more than I want to spend.

I am looking for a wind proof fleece to use as an outer layer for late season bow hunting. I noticed the Kuiu version doesn’t get a favorable review. Has anyone tried the Kings hunter series wind defender fleece. The garment doesn’t have to be camo. I am warm natured and the Sitka stratus is more than I want to spend.

Which Kuiu piece are you talking about? Is it the new line for whitetails or the Peloton 240 that many say is very wind resistant?

I love the 240 but IMO it’s NOT wind resistant at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superdoo

WKR
Duluth Trading has one I think... I bought the Shorman's fleece years ago. It was warm, but didn't breathe so I sold it.
I've come to find that I must perspire more than other folks. I can't use Kuiu Attack pants for the same reason. My legs and phone get wet.

I have a kings wind defender for sale.
They say the torso is longer on the newer ones, but mine is short. But I am tall torsod.

It seems to loud for me.

Duluth Shormans are pretty sweet. They used to run a full size large.
Idk if they still do.

OP
O
Wind proof fleece typically doesnt breath well due to membrane. FWIW
I didn’t think about the breathability factor. Should I just bite the bullet and buy the Stratus. Im good to 30degrees with base layer and thick hoodie. Add wind and it can be a struggle to stay in the stand. Just trying to stay away from bulk and noise.

I didn’t think about the breathability factor. Should I just bite the bullet and buy the Stratus. Im good to 30degrees with base layer and thick hoodie. Add wind and it can be a struggle to stay in the stand. Just trying to stay away from bulk and noise.

If you are on a budget and it sounds like you are. I can tell you first hand that the windstopper clothing from Cabelas is very good at stopping the wind. It's quiet but is not an athletic cut like Sitka or Kuiu. It works great for late season layering.

I am using the Cabela's Legacy fleece that I bought in 2007. It is still going strong. Unfortunately they no longer make it anymore but they also dropped the pricing on the Berber Fleece and the Wooltimate stuff. I have no experience with them but it's worth a look.

No idea if they still make them but cabelas had berger fleece Henley with wind stopper.

I love um

Sitka Jetstream or stratus would be a couple options. If you're stand hunting whitetails you could do their Dakota hoody also (duck hunting jacket)

These are incredibly durable. They are also actually windproof. My only gripe is the elastic bottom bc Im tall. I think they have camo versions too it thats what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WoodBow

WKR
I still haven't found the perfect jacket along the lines of what you are looking for. I have a stratus. It is quiet and windproof. Down sides are it is expensive and provides no real insulation value (sounds like you don't want much insulation anyways). I also own the kuiu peloton 240. Much lighter and more packable than the stratus but it is only wind resistant. Definitely not wind proof. It also is not as quiet as the stratus. I have a pretty high standard for quiet since I set up for sub 20 yard shots and sometimes it is dead calm. I have kryptek vellus pants and vest. They are fleece and windproof. But the windstop layer adds just enough crinkle/squeak that I don't like wearing it to bow hunt. I also do not care for the water resistant zippers on the hand pockets. Too stiff and loud when putting hands in and out. I was really excited when kuiu launched the wind pro fleece...and then i read the reviews.

I don’t own any of the stratus line so I can’t comment but I do have a couple wind proof fleece via Columbia and few other outdoor mfg’es and I wouldn’t call them high activity pieces.

I hunt most my tree hunting out of Cabelas Berber fleece pull over with wind block. Really cold I’ll layer mountain hardware ghost whisper puffy under it. With that said I don’t walk much with that Cabelas pull over on, I get sweaty quick

Drenalin

WKR
The Stratus is pretty nice if you don't need much layering under or over it. It was ultimately too niche for me. I'm not aware of another truly windproof jacket that can match it for silence though.

OP
O
I had planned on keeping my base layer/ hoodie combo and break out the fleece when the wind kicked up or if the temps dropped while in the stand. I don’t want a lot of bulk using my bow, but if I get cold enough I get the shakes.

Randle

WKR
I picked up a windshirt to wear under my fleece jacket it works pretty good i havent used it in really strong wind yet but it seems to do what i want do far.

Ralphie

WKR
I don’t know what it’s called but I have an old Cabelas wind stopper fleece too. Long out of production. But it stops the wind. I don’t think the lack of breathability would be much of an issue for stand hunting.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Swazi Nahanni jacket. Has windstopper in the torso area but not the arms. Very comfortable and quiet and also long so when you bend over the wind doesn't whistle up the small of your back.