Winchester M70 short Action

Last year I purchased a used M70 in 7mm short mag. I was thinking of re-barreling it to a 6.5 PRC. I'm thinking of scraping the project because every time I look for brass its unavailable. Does anyone think there will be a steady supply of brass at some point?
I can always sell the action and put that toward a Weatherby Accuguard in 30/06? I'm not a long range shooter anyway. What do you folks think?

robtattoo

WKR
A 7wsm kills just as well close in too 😉

If you're not a long range dude, why even look at the PRC in the first place? You're gaining nothing over what you already have (I guess a smidge of recoil reduction) until you're past 5 or 600yds anyway.

Honestly, you've got a great action, in a GREAT caliber & if you're not stretching out anyway, id keep it & hunt the finish off the thing.

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
If you end up looking to sell it, shoot me a PM. I’m always looking for a donor action for a future build.

Unfortunately the 7 wsm hasn’t stayed as popular as the other WSMs. If you like the .284 diameter you could always rebarrel to a 7 SAUM. High quality brass is readily available. Although a quick google showed that Graf’s currently has Hornady, Winchester, and Bertram brass in stock for the WSM... I’d say get some brass and shoot the barrel out of it and then rebarrel to whatever tickles your fancy.

OP
Thanks for the input! t guess the reason I was looking at the PRC was because I have lots of bullets,since have a creedmore. And I like to tinker. I dont shoot any of the magnums well. But i have had a 06 and shot it pretty well. Ill let you guys know it i decide to get rid of the action. Does anyone know when 6.5 PRC brass will be available?

hodgeman

WKR
I bought a M70 in 7WSM as a donor for a custom .300WSM.

I picked up a box of ammunition and shot it....1/2" groups with Winchester factory ammo. I couldn't bring myself to part it out and sold it to a friend.

Shoot it before you take it apart.

OP
The guy I bought it from said it shot well. Never really considered keeping it a 7wsm. I just don't like the noise. Maybe a 6.5 PRC is just as loud??