Winchester large rifle primers?

Full disclosure : new to loading my own ammunition.

I am beginning to load ammo for my 6.5 creedmoor that I use primarily for fun at local NRL/PRS matches because I cannot consistently get my hands on match ammo anymore. I was looking for Federal 210Ms, because they seem to be the standard primers people have success with, but can't find any right now. Looking at other posts here and the hide, there is conflicting information on the Winchester large rifle primers, but I can get my hands on them. Would they be a suitable substitute or worth trying? Or should I keep looking for 210's. My fear is blowing through a bunch of precious powder using a primer that's suboptimal.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I've used Win LRP since everything was available because they were the most commonly stocked primers across the board in my local area, never had trouble getting the results I was after.

I have used most brands of primers and WLRP's are as good as any. Get the primers and load on. Just having primers is a good thing in the reloading landscape these days.

Be judicious in your load development and you shouldn't need more than 10 or 12 rounds to move up the ladder in a pressure and velocity sequence, two rounds at a time. That gives you five or six steps along the way. For what it's worth I would start at the minimum charge, do another step one grain higher, the third step another grain higher and if there aren't pressure signs and velocity is good or looks like it will be good, start working half grain increments from there. Load them all up and head to the range. If you hit pressure along the way/can't get the velocity you need, pull the bullets, save the powder and hold out for some 210M's. If you do find what you need in terms of velocity, load up three at that charge weight and same cartridge dimensions, see how the accuracy is and now you've burned 15 rounds at most. If you really wanted to get technical, you could overlay those three rounds with the two rounds from the stairstep progression and see what a five shot group would look like.

OP
E
Thank you for all the input. I can get 1000 LRPs today for an inflated but reasonable price, so I'm going to get some. I see 210's every few weeks in local classifieds, but they're 2-3x the cost and gone fast. Crazy times we live in

sneaky

"DADDY"
Decent primer prices aren't coming back anytime soon

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mulyhuntr

WKR
I tossed all my winchester rifle primers years back when I determined they were the cause of gas cutting in my bolt. The are slightly undersized compared to cci and federal. Never an issue with cci 200s and fed 210m.

I think the WLR primers have the reputation of being the hottest (greatest "brisance"). I prefer them when using supposed-to-be-harder-to-ignite powders like ball powders and in situations where I am going all out to avoid incomplete powder burn in rifles that tend to squib under that condition (milsurps). They always go bang, always make the powder go bang.

Federal 215M has the most brisance in a primer to my knowledge, but it is a magnum primer, per se. WLR may well be the hottest of standard primers, and the 6.5 Creedmoor is a relatively small case. You may find the less "violent" ignition of powder is more consistent for accuracy and velocity, which may be a different standard primer (CCI 200 is known to be the "most gentle") so be aware the hottest might not be the best if you are able to choose. But again, any primer may be considered the best primer these days if it's the only primer you can experiment with. The WLR's will do fine, since you have a line on getting some!

Last edited:

Zappaman

WKR
I stocked up on 5k of the OLD (red/white boxed) WLR primers when the new ones came out. Not saying the new ones are bad, they just didn't shoot in MY loads I'd had for years (and love). It was tough paying $40 a 1k box back then... but I'd stock up (you can always sell them for a million on Gun Broker if you don't like them).

I wish you luck!

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
I have used both in 6.5, I have found that neck tension makes a bigger difference than the primers
But that being said every brass/bullet/powder/ gun combination is different, use what you have