Winchester ballistic tip for bighorn sheep?

Elite

WKR
Hey everyone. I have recently picked up a lightweight 7mm-08 for sheep hunting. I have found the Winchester ballistic and the nosler factory loaded accubonds group the best from everything I have shot in it. I can buy the Winchester ammo locally and it is roughly 40CDN a box and the nosler accubond is double the price and I have to get it shipped or make a trip into the city. Seems like there is a lot of mixed reviews on the Winchester saying they are only meant for deer and nothing bigger so wondering if anyone has used them on sheep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
Ballistic tips are fine for sheep. Shoot straight and don't worry about it.

I love Accubonds, but I typically shoot them at bigger critters then sheep where penetration is preferable.

How about you remember that people would give their left nut and probably even their right as well to have a sheep tag, so the price for the box of Ammo shouldn’t be a factor as much as using the bullet that groups best and just as importantly is a solid performer... I’d personally shoot Bergers on sheep or the regular accubond. Either will do well depending on where you like to aim is the bullet I’d choose. I’d shoot something in the 140gr range. But ballistic tips will likely be okay. :)

Tobey

Lil-Rokslider
If your rifle likes the ballistic tips I'd buy a bunch and get familiar with it. I used a 308 with 165 accubonds for my ram, ballistic tips would have been more than fine. They don't die particularly hard so don't overthink that part, lots of other things to consider on the mountain, good luck on your hunt!

They’ll wack some whitetail, but I’d want something more solid for a shoulder hit on a ram, but it would probably still be fine. I’d probably use the AB’s.

WCB

WKR
I would lean Accubond pretty hard. I am not a fan of any ballistic tip bullet be the Winchester silver tip or Nosler ballistic tip.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Price for a box of Ammo shouldn’t matter for a sheep hunt, I’d buy then Nosler and go with something I trust with a proven track record.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Sheep ARE deer sized game. Used a 270 with 140g plain old yellow pointed ballistic tip on my Fannin. Worked perfectly. If you want the toughest ballistic tip in the 7mm it is actually the 120g because of the jacket design. The Ballistic Tip is perfect for sheep.

LightFoot

WKR
Practice with the Winchester then zero, verify dope, and hunt with the Nosler.

No doubt both will get the job done. However, on sheep, I would go with the Accubond for the advantage in bullet construction.

>>>----JAKE----->

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Thanks for the input so far guys. Definitely seems like there is a lot of mixed reviews on here also. I know how fortunate I am to be able to hunt sheep with a over the counter tag and I don’t mind spending the money on good quality ammo for hunting but I like to shoot a lot in the evenings and want to get that new gun dialled in for some longer range shots and at $75 a box that gets expensive quick. So I was wondering if the ballistic would compressor to the accubonds. I might just keep shooting the ballistics then switch to accubonds for the hunting part since the ballistic data is very close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I'd go with the accubond after seeing what BT do to meat/hide. As above, price in this case is not something I would be concerned with.