Win Free Glassing Mitts

bpietila

FNG
Hunting caribou mid November. -10 with a stiff north wind. Trying to glass but its damn cold. Lunges to warm up... meh. Push ups to warm up.... meh. Plank to warm up... meh.... practice the floss dance to warm up....money

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would use them when it is really cold so my hands don't end up looking like Mr. Deeds' feet.
Nobody wants hands like that.
1500245c384c317e546ba8cd8b48c5e0.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

7c4469bb9c76fd4b7447374147e3bc0a.jpg

After hiking about 6 miles from the vehicle and 3500 feet of elevation, I shot this buck up on a ridge after which it tumbled and slid about 800 feet down into a creek. The hill was so steep to get down I had to hang on to branches the whole way to get down. A good pair of mitts to warm up the frigid fingers would sure do well here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to use them for late archery elk in Utah this winter! They would also be awesome for predator hunting in the dead of winter on some snowy night in Southern Idaho.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

CHL

Lil-Rokslider
I’m heading to Kodiak Island later this afternoon hunting Blacktails and maybe grab a Mtn Goat tag as well. Would absolutely love to run these mittens while I’m up here for sure.

22lr

WKR
A favorite late season hunt story huh? Well, most of my experience in cold has not been from normal hunting... but I got to go out with some fine gentlemen from Greenland on a trip up a fjord half as a sight seeing trip but also half looking for seals on the sea ice. It was about -15 for the 8hr trip. We saw a ton of seals and walrus, but they were super selective on what we were looking for. They had zero interest if it didn't look like we could get within 25 to 30 yards before taking a shot. Super common to hit one but if not killed immediately they will flop into their hole, under 6ft of ice never to be seen again. So they like to get super close and then shoot em in the head.

So, saw tons but never really got within range of anything worth wasting time on. But it was mostly just running up the fjord with the dogs. Looking for anything easy or a bear that we could catch out in the open.

The fjord was said to be 1500 meters deep, and at the end there were 3 active glaciers all pouring off the ice cap and into the fjord.

For those curious, when you dont have any trees to worry about, they run the dogs spread out in a line with only the lead dog out front. Also, not sure if this is late season or early, it was in March on the tail end of 3 months with no sunshine... but dang it was flipping cold.

Sled Trip (18).JPG

Sled Trip (45).JPG

KurtR

WKR
Deer hunting South Dakota into December and then predator hunting and ice fishing rest of the winter. Subzero temps are common place and would be a good test for the mits.

Huntinaz

Lil-Rokslider
Froze my little fingers off just last week on a deer hunt. Daylight found us on a high point for a windy, frozen, beautiful AZ sunrise

M1ft9EZ.jpg

The action was nonstop, deer moving everywhere, 3 pairs of bucks sparring. So I couldn’t just put my hands in my pockets, no, I had to keep them where the wind could find them and the cold could bite them. It was semi-miserable at best. Found a pretty good buck that morning but it was early in the hunt and I was after something bigger and he was in a bad spot to stalk on. So I just took pictures with my ice block hands, hopefully he makes it to next year

FVNEcGd.jpg

Ucsdryder

WKR
Yesterday as I stood glassing a Gray old buck a monsoon decided to end my evening early. Sheets of rain blowing sides at 50mph felt like glass shards on my hands and face. Some gloves would have been real handy!