Will Changing Release Type Change DL?

R&T Farm

FNG
I have a Mathews V3X at 31.5” draw length.

I’m currently using a Spot Hogg Wiseguy wrist release.

If I change to a Stan Onnex Thumb release will my Draw length change?

I’m already maxed on the V3X DL.

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
anchor point yes since the distance from the jaws to the d-loop will be different, but id say no on actual DL since distance from nock to rest is constant.

That being said your DL may need to change to accommodate a constant anchor point if that anchor point is correct for both styles of releases

Last edited:

JRay

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve changed D loop length or adjusted the bend in my bow arm. Find what works for you.

My POI shifts left when I go from a wrist release to a thumb release.

MattB

WKR
Technically, it will not change your draw length (distance from throat of grip to nock point + 1 3/4” I believe), but it could very well change your anchor which can have the same affect. As stated above, you may be able to address the difference with a change in the length of your d-loop.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Just went through this exact same thing. A couple of items to be prepared for:

1) If its your first time using a thumb release, grab a release add and spend some time practicing. This will help your transition from wrist/index to the thumb. Will also help you not drop the release.

2) The Stan is awesome. Its going to take you some time getting use to it, but when you do, you'll love it. Took me about a month for it to become my new normal.

3) Your arrows are likely to impact in a diff spot on the target. Mine were right. I hung with it for a few days and confirmed that I was pretty much 6" right. From what I gather, its the diff anchor, diff pressure on the bow string.

Luked

WKR
Wont change your draw length but will change your anchor a lot.
If i go from my Wrist rocket to my Carter Wise its 3" at 20 yards to the right.
You can tinker with your D loop to get it more consistant. Just set everything up to be consistant.