Wild Horses Overpopulated in Nevada

The unit I have an elk tag here in NM has a bunch, saw them most every day while hunting last year. I was wandering what grain my arrows needed to be for them .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d eat horse in a heartbeat. I thought I heard that the act was expired, no? I guess I was getting my hopes up... again 😡

I lived and hunted in Wyoming and also Utah for several seasons and I ran into plenty of wild horses, but I never seen anything remotely close to the massive amount of horses since I started hunting Nevada. It’s really shocking they’ve let something populate a range like this. They’re ALL OVER THE PLACE in Nevada as far as you can see. You gotta see it to believe it.
SW Arizona is the same way with burros. It's disgusting what they have done to the land.

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
Who does it seem odd to eat a horse? They are not that different from elk or cattle. Grass goes in, they make meat.
Call it weird but some type of animals feels close alike humans to me. i bet shooting a dog will be emotionally difficult for you but you could shoot/hunt a fox, wolf.

Last edited:
I’d eat horse in a heartbeat. I thought I heard that the act was expired, no? I guess I was getting my hopes up... again 😡
The ban on USDA funded inspection of horse slaughterhouses has expired. Privately farmed horse meat could be processed, inspected, and sold if there was a slaughterhouse that worked in that medium.

Feral horses are still protected on federal land.

Probably the most effective thing hunters can currently do is take pictures of the damage feral horse overpopulation is doing to the landscape and other species and share those photos and explanations on social media. Then call your elected officials and tell them the BLM should have all options available for maintaining sustainable herd numbers. Return the management of wildlife to the States.

Mturney

Lil-Rokslider
Calm it weird but some type of animals feels close alike humans to me. i bet shooting a dog will be emotionally difficult for you but you could shoot/hunt a fox, wolf.
I would not have a problem shooting a feral horse while I would not shoot my own horse just like I do not shoot my own dog but have shot many stray dogs. My horses have value to me whether it is emotional or financial. When I lived in Pawhuska Ok I was blown away at the numbers of feral horses that were being hauled in and fed there. I understand why a person would choose to run horses that brought guaranteed income in over stocker cattle that where closer to playing the lottery but it was a huge waste of taxpayer money and resources.

BuzzH

WKR
The ban on USDA funded inspection of horse slaughterhouses has expired. Privately farmed horse meat could be processed, inspected, and sold if there was a slaughterhouse that worked in that medium.

Feral horses are still protected on federal land.

Probably the most effective thing hunters can currently do is take pictures of the damage feral horse overpopulation is doing to the landscape and other species and share those photos and explanations on social media. Then call your elected officials and tell them the BLM should have all options available for maintaining sustainable herd numbers. Return the management of wildlife to the States.

Horses aren't classified as wildlife in any State I'm aware of and do not fall under the purview of the State Wildlife Management Agencies.

Assuming the WHBA could be repealed, the feral horses would then be under the jurisdiction of the various State's DOL.

Calm it weird but some type of animals feels close alike humans to me. i bet shooting a dog will be emotionally difficult for you but you could shoot/hunt a fox, wolf.
And this is exactly why we have a problem with feral horses and burros destroying large expanses of the western U.S. Because certain people (not saying you) have declared these animals too cute to shoot.

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
Horses aren't classified as wildlife in any State I'm aware of and do not fall under the purview of the State Wildlife Management Agencies.

Assuming the WHBA could be repealed, the feral horses would then be under the jurisdiction of the various State's DOL.
You have future horse hunting season on your mind.

aggieland

WKR
I wouldn't mind "adopting " one or two here on my place. I love my mules but honestly I am not skilled enough to break and train a wild horse. Afraid they would just be a huge problem. But maybe I'm wrong.

You ate horse ? Good Lord some people will eat anything. i recently learnt that people hunt and eat Possums. WTF
You might want to get out more. I've eaten horse steak in Italy. It was great. I'd compare it closer to elk than anything else. It's very commonly served in other countries. We're so damned soft in the US that we're the only country in the United Nations that doesn't allow consumption of horse meat.

cmahoney

WKR
It’s a horrible problem that I see every time I drive into town. There are plenty of new foal this year around my house. I don’t think anything will be done to resolve the issue. I doubt many members of Congress have any interest in the problem and the ones that might don’t want to deal with bad politics associated with lethal management of the horses.

If you don’t already understand the impact these feral critters have, take a look at this study

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would eat a horse in a heartbeat. Give me a tag and I'll get a full freezer, a cool hide, and a bunch of weird looks at dinners.

One of my neighbors was appalled at the idea of eating a horse (she owns one). I told her I would eat a dog but not my dog...

Takem

WKR
Despite the fact that I've never seen the impact of the feral horses first hand this issue drives me crazy. The fact that they're talked about as being wildlife is enough to make me sick. All these groups that claim to be protecting our true wild resources are going to need to get an board but I don't see that happening. I'd be happy to contribute if someone one start a good campaign to get it under control.