Wild edibles recipes

IW17

Lil-Rokslider
So not technically wild game, but I've become as avid of a wild edible hunter as I am a hunter of game. Found several giant puffball mushrooms in great condition while setting tree stands this weekend. Brought back one to make puffball pizza. Pretty self explanatory, just slice a disc off the puffball, remove the outer membrane and assemble like any other pizza, using the mushroom as the dough. Cook at 425 until the toppings are browned. Even my wife is a fan, and she's generally very picky about what mushrooms she likes.

20241013_105924.jpg20241014_184329.jpg20241014_190336.jpg

OP
IW17

IW17

Lil-Rokslider
Looks good. I don’t trust myself. The only way I am eating that is if I see you eat it first and you are still kicking the next day.
Ha, my wife was always the same way. Honestly I was too for a long time. But the more I learned about them, the more comfortable I got. I only harvest easy to identify stuff. If I need a field manual to get a positive id, it's not worth it. But there's at least a dozen types of mushrooms that are easily identified and even the lookalikes don't pose a lethal threat. But honestly they look so different that you'd really have to be low iq to misidentify one. Morels, chantrelles, puffball, chicken of the woods, hen of the woods, lions mane, bear tooth, shaggy mane, oysters, shrimp, lobster, boletes, etc. Stay clear of little brown mushrooms and white toadstool mushrooms. Not trying to push you into something you're not comfortable with, just making conversation.

We had more chanterelles this year than we knew what to do with. What part of the country are you finding puffballs that big? I’ve never seen one bigger than a golf ball.

OP
IW17

IW17

Lil-Rokslider
Our chantrelles this year were kinda pathetic. We were in a drought most of the summer.

rclouse79

WKR
Ha, my wife was always the same way. Honestly I was too for a long time. But the more I learned about them, the more comfortable I got. I only harvest easy to identify stuff. If I need a field manual to get a positive id, it's not worth it. But there's at least a dozen types of mushrooms that are easily identified and even the lookalikes don't pose a lethal threat. But honestly they look so different that you'd really have to be low iq to misidentify one. Morels, chantrelles, puffball, chicken of the woods, hen of the woods, lions mane, bear tooth, shaggy mane, oysters, shrimp, lobster, boletes, etc. Stay clear of little brown mushrooms and white toadstool mushrooms. Not trying to push you into something you're not comfortable with, just making conversation.
I have no doubt it probably doesn’t take a lot to do it safely. I just can’t get the story out of my head of a guy who killed his whole family after he made them spaghetti sauce with foraged mushrooms.