Wide forefoot boots

hsb

FNG
I have heard Altras are fine as long as you understand they will only last one season. I have a fairly wide foot forefoot and I have a pair of Lapponia II in a 10.5 wide and they are great.

haven't used those specifically, but 2 boots that are actually wide are the crispi wyoming 2 wide and the vivo tracker ESC. since you're looking at the altra, the vivo's are worth a look too, I really like mine.

ElPollo

WKR
Has any one tried mountain hunting in the altra goretex boots?
The Hanwag Ancash II GTX are a solid mountain boot that has a standard width heel and a wider toe box. If you are potentially going to be in wet conditions, cold conditions, and rough I would probably lean more that direction. I have a pair of them up for sale in the classified section that was only worn for about 10 miles of flat stuff. I got an unrelated nerve injury in my left foot about the time I ordered them and still haven’t been able to get back into stiff boots.

Like HSB says the reputation on Altras among my friends is they are short lived for their price. More like a season than a year. The Topos have a much better reputation. I’ve worn a low top pair of them for a year and a half. The foam around the back of the ankle wore out before the sole and midsole did.

If you’re really wanting a waterproof light hiker with a wide toe box, I wouldn’t count on any of them to be very waterproof. But you can add waterproof sock like sealskins.

OP
S

steve137

FNG
The Hanwag Ancash II GTX are a solid mountain boot that has a standard width heel and a wider toe box. If you are potentially going to be in wet conditions, cold conditions, and rough I would probably lean more that direction. I have a pair of them up for sale in the classified section that was only worn for about 10 miles of flat stuff. I got an unrelated nerve injury in my left foot about the time I ordered them and still haven’t been able to get back into stiff boots.

Like HSB says the reputation on Altras among my friends is they are short lived for their price. More like a season than a year. The Topos have a much better reputation. I’ve worn a low top pair of them for a year and a half. The foam around the back of the ankle wore out before the sole and midsole did.

If you’re really wanting a waterproof light hiker with a wide toe box, I wouldn’t count on any of them to be very waterproof. But you can add waterproof sock like

nobody

WKR
The “wide forefoot” market is owned by Jim Green Footwear. 100% made in Africa leather footwear with great ethics and an awesome business model. Their narrowest last is an E width, and they only make 2 boots stock on that last. The rest are all 2E and 3E widths standard, with an extremely generous and rounded toe box, and they’re priced fantastically as well for the quality of boot you get.

Check out the Razorback or the AR8. My running shoes are Altras, but I’ve been daily driving my JG African Rangers for about 18 months (and just placed an order for a custom pair), and I’ll be hunting this year in a pair of AR8’s.

ElPollo

WKR
The “wide forefoot” market is owned by Jim Green Footwear. 100% made in Africa leather footwear with great ethics and an awesome business model. Their narrowest last is an E width, and they only make 2 boots stock on that last. The rest are all 2E and 3E widths standard, with an extremely generous and rounded toe box, and they’re priced fantastically as well for the quality of boot you get.

Check out the Razorback or the AR8. My running shoes are Altras, but I’ve been daily driving my JG African Rangers for about 18 months (and just placed an order for a custom pair), and I’ll be hunting this year in a pair of AR8’s.
Jim Greens are a good option for a wide toe box, but none of them are goretex or waterproof. If the OP is good with some wet feet, they are worth trying.

nobody

WKR
Jim Greens are a good option for a wide toe box, but none of them are goretex or waterproof. If the OP is good with some wet feet, they are worth trying.
My mistake, maybe he’s not wanting the wide forefoot. I assumed as much because he was asking about Altras

I used the Altra lone peak all weather mid on my elk hunt... durability definitely is a concern. Haven't decided if I will use them for a backpack hunt again.

Lawnboi

WKR
I can’t do altras off trail, rip them up too fast. Plus they change their models and sizing so fast I can’t keep up.

I’d second looking at the Vivos if you are okay with a barefoot style boot.

Mojave

WKR
Used both these and the hoka.

the answer is they suck! Mountain boots need to be real mountain boots.

ElPollo

WKR
i don’t disagree with what @Lawnboi and @Mojave are saying. The Topos have a more durable sole, but the uppers on both are he Altras and the Topos lack support for steep stuff. Like Lawnboi, I’ve switched over to the Vivo forest ESC barefoot boots. They aren’t for everyone, but they are way more durable than either of those.