Why?

NRA4LIFE

WKR
We don't leave our property anytime around holiday weekends just because the traffic is so bad. Yesterday I picked the garden, made a gallon jug of pickles, reinstalled some molding after a recent kitchen remodel and cleaned up the garage. Wanted to watch some football last night but Directv said nah. No ESPN right now.

MThuntr

WKR
Elder Millennial chiming into you bitch fest.

I spent the last 3 weeks not being home because of work before that I was home taking care of my boomer mom who had a stroke and also didn't plan for retirement. Now her kids are paying for nearly 100% of her bills and care. This labor day weekend, I cut firewood so I could heat my home afterwards I got to go to the rodeo where...get this...I bumped into my now ex-girlfriend, who was supposed to be picking up another shift, with another dude.

So yeah taking a day to relax is okay so step off your tiny soap box before you break your hip

I know 60-80 years olds that have been couch slugs all their life. I know 22-35 year old husband and wives that are both working their butts off to pay off their mortgage as soon as possible and making a good life. I think trying to generalize about a generations productivity is foolish.

Here is what I will say. I don't care what others do. What I do care about is that hard working productive people of all ages get to keep as much of the fruits of their labor as possible and that those people aren't paying for those that don't want to be productive.

Beyond that everyone has the choice to live and work how they wish. If a person wishes to live in a cheaper house and drive a cheaper pickup and have two days off a week to go to the lake or sit on the porch and watch sports then that is their choice.

I personally no longer work on the weekends. I cook , hunt and fish and other things I enjoy. But, I’m up and working by 5 am and still banging away at 5 pm Monday -Friday. Sometimes I work a few hours in the evening. I think its hard to judge someone else's productivity.

It hits a nerve with me . I worked at a family business for many years with my Dad and brother. They worked in sales and I worked in fixed operations. I started at 6:30 and worked until 6:30 running the service and bodyshops , parts and the rental car. I was hustling all day Monday thru Friday. My dad and brother works a lot of hours 8-7 monday thru Saturday. They took no vacations or days off. They liked to make snide comments to me about my weekends off hunting and fishing and my three weeks of vacations I took. I did more in the first three hours of every day than they did sitting up in their offices on the showroom drinking coffee all day. They were the two most miserable SOBs I ever had to be around.
Totally unbalanced lives. They spent a-lot of time at work but not much work got done.

It's so funny listening to people that can't comprehend you can be "productive" from your computer or phone. So quaint.

Heck, I have done my "job" from a mountaintop behind a spotter glassing up elk on a weekday. How's that for productive? My son was there with me. That way of being productive allowed me to take him hunting that day.
This. I take a few 3 week hunting trips away from home every year. Never fails I get the “must be nice to have so much time off” or “dont you ever work?”. Always some ignorant relative or old school mate.
What they dont see is me up at 4:30 working in my hunting shack on my ipad and working from my climbing stand on my iphone, then again before I go to bed. This technology allows me to be away and still keep my business going and clients serviced. Some people just cant see passed their own bubble they live in. Judging things they don't comprehend.

tuffcity

WKR
I'm proud to say that my kids seemed to have disregarded the memo that says this gen is lazy and nonproductive. My daughter finished high school at 16- doing extra courses on her own to finish early, she was in college at 16. Got her RN and worked as an operating room nurse, finished her Masters last year at 29. That was while being a new mom and working full time. My son also grad'ed early from high school but went a different direction and headed to the Alberta oil fields, was running a drilling crew at 21. On his shut down weeks he would come home and after a day needed to be doing something. Was great for me as I'd come home and the lawn was cut, bushes trimmed, etc. All without even a suggestion from me. He finally got a second job working for a landscape company on his time off. Worked a pipe line job while going to college after the oil fields. He's now in a Fed fish LEO.

As with any gen, every one seems to get tarred by the same brush because of convenient perception.

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
I think the OP has an incorrect view. Yes, many today are lazy, but many aren’t. I’m currently 26. Started working during the summer part time when I was 15. At 16 I was working full time in the summer. At 17, I was working overtime in the summer. Because my school had a work exception and I had a light class load my senior year of high school, I went to school Monday and Tuesday. Worked Wednesday through Saturday. Then I worked through college and graduated debt free. Worked in the retail, then went to commercial construction. Two years ago I started my own home improvement business to create a better life for myself. I get to take time off to hunt. I get to be off on holidays. I get to take time off of work, and go help other people that need a hand. This is not to brag, but a simple point in that we’re not all laying on the couch all day playing video games. I’ve seen the absolute workaholics, and what they end up with doesn’t appeal to me. They hardly take time for family, they work almost every holiday. They work into their 70s, but then need all kinds of operations. Hip replacements, knee replacements, etc. They then end up dying not having really enjoyed life. I believe in living an honest, hard working life that supports a family, but that there is more to it than that. Holidays are days to be with family and friends. I get to take time off and enjoy life. When you get to the end, working all the time won’t matter. Taking time with family and friends and making memories will bring far more satisfaction.

Geewhiz

WKR
I think the OP has an incorrect view. Yes, many today are lazy, but many aren’t. I’m currently 26. Started working during the summer part time when I was 15. At 16 I was working full time in the summer. At 17, I was working overtime in the summer. Because my school had a work exception and I had a light class load my senior year of high school, I went to school Monday and Tuesday. Worked Wednesday through Saturday. Then I worked through college and graduated debt free. Worked in the retail, then went to commercial construction. Two years ago I started my own home improvement business to create a better life for myself. I get to take time off to hunt. I get to be off on holidays. I get to take time off of work, and go help other people that need a hand. This is not to brag, but a simple point in that we’re not all laying on the couch all day playing video games. I’ve seen the absolute workaholics, and what they end up with doesn’t appeal to me. They hardly take time for family, they work almost every holiday. They work into their 70s, but then need all kinds of operations. Hip replacements, knee replacements, etc. They then end up dying not having really enjoyed life. I believe in living an honest, hard working life that supports a family, but that there is more to it than that. Holidays are days to be with family and friends. I get to take time off and enjoy life. When you get to the end, working all the time won’t matter. Taking time with family and friends and making memories will bring far more satisfaction.
Well said

Marshfly

WKR
Another day of working from the phone. A little computer work right after dropping my kids at school taking advantage of the massive drop the market had off the open. Then ran to the unit where my son has a bull tag to more our canvas tent to a different area before the weekend. Just doing dad stuff while they are in school. The world is different now. Money can be made at all hours of the day and from anywhere on earth, even through automation as I mostly do. Do what you need to do to live the life you and your family want.

IMG_5395.jpeg

Grundy53

WKR
I work with a wide age range of guys. From 18 to about 70. There are lazy turds and hard workers at all ages. I think the folks that like to say how the younger generations are lazy and don't do anything probably haven't actually been exposed to that many people and are just regurgitating the same tired crap they hear from others. I'm sure the previous generation said the same bs about your generation.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Grundy53

WKR
I finished harrowing a field today in preparation for seeding this week or next. As I went around and around, I watched my neighbor digging up stumps with a backhoe.

My wife spent the day staining the wood ceiling on the porch. After the field I spent an hour welding my harrow back together.

At 5 we broke for a rest before dinner. I'm 73. My wife is 71. My neighbor is nearly 80. Labor day to me has always been a day of 'labor'.

I watch a lot of young peaple drive by on the way to the lake. When all of us old farts tip over, will productivity end?
Perhaps you should look up what labor day actually represents...

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I work with a wide age range of guys. From 18 to about 70. There are lazy turds and hard workers at all ages. I think the folks that like to say how the younger generations are lazy and don't do anything probably haven't actually been exposed to that many people and are just regurgitating the same tired crap they hear from others. I'm sure the previous generation said the same bs about your generation.

This was true for me too. I've been retired for almost 8 years now and I too worked with new hires up to people 10-15 years older than me. Some of the older fellas who had seniority in the engineering union were some of the laziest, useless workers I ever worked with. They couldn't be fired, or laid off because of their seniority so they did almost nothing. Quite aggravating.

When the most wealthy man in the world dies, he's as dirt poor broke as everyone else in the cemetery.

There's more to life than acquiring "stuff". Good for you figuring this out while you're young and starting out.

Last edited: