Why so many fat steel barrels and so few sporters?

SDHNTR

WKR
So I’m half ass barrel shopping for a new project. Why are there so many M24, Varmint, Heavy Palma, etc contours out there and so few sporters in stock? Can’t find a Bart 2b, 3 or 3b, but a curtain rod is no problem. What are these big heavy barrels used for and why are they so popular?

Match gun market is way bigger than hunting barrel market.

This. Those heavy barrels are being used on match guns. A 6GT barrel has a life of around 3K. That is a single match season for a dedicated shooter. The 6 Creed guys are getting half of that.

Most hunting rifles won't see that many rounds in 4 lifetimes. Of course there is a group of shooters here and on other forums more dedicated to hunting than shooting who hunt hard and shoot a lot. We tend to like lighter profile barrels, but are at the mercy of the market. There are a couple of manufacturers who have stepped in to provide (X-Caliber, McGowen, Preferred), but they don't have the clout that some of the bigger names (Krieger, Bartlein, Hart) carry. So, there is a trade-off. Go with one of the smaller guys and get what you want in a reasonable time, or wait 6-9 months for one of the "premium" barrels.

Edited to add: Southern Precision has some Bart 2B, 3, and 3Bs in 6.5mm and 7mm if that is what you are looking for.

WKR
Pacnor turned out a great shooter for me in mtn rifle contour. I'd use them again without hesitation. I have found the Bart 2B to be a bit on the chunky side still for a lighter rig. Also had good luck with Benchmark barrels and lighter contours. Bit of a wait but haven't called either lately.

id_jon

WKR
Also, barrels start out fat, you have to put in time to make them skinny. And if more of the market wants them to stay heavy anyway...

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I guess that makes sense. I’m not looking for super light. 3 or 3b, ish. I had no idea the match stuff was so popular. I thought that was the niche market, and the hunters made up the larger majority. Go figure.