Why New Magnifications/Objective Sizes on Newer Bino Brands?

Any idea why newer bino companies like Sig, GPO, Maven are making binos with uncommon magnifications like 7x, 9x, 11x, 12.5x and objectives like 45mm? Is it purely a way to differentiate themselves/compete in a saturated market, a more efficient production process, or a combination of both? Maybe they are getting their lenses from the same mfg and got a good deal?

I'm hesitant to purchase one of these newer binos with the unusual magnification/objective combos because I'm so used to the standard 8x,10x,12x,15x for hunting.

Anyone with experience on these newer formats and care to share the pros/cons against the standard formats?

I’m not in the industry so I don’t know where stuff is sourced, but it seems to me like it’s a way to stand out. They can’t compete with Vortex on price, or Euro stuff on clarity, so it’s sort of an “in the middle” game.

FWIW, there is very little noticeable difference when you’re talking 1x magnification. Have somebody set your scope on 7x and 8x, look through it without knowing which is which, and try to find the difference. You can if you focus on an object, but looking around it’s not all that apparent.

WKR
seriously though, I really like a 5 mm exit pupil for my handheld binos.

8x42, 9x45, 10x50 work well for me.

OP
AZ SpotStalker
It just makes things more confusing when researching. I wish I could test them out side by side.

TSimons9

FNG
I switched from 12x50 razor to 12.5x50 GPO Passion HD. The .5X is not even noticeable. What was noticeable with the GPO was how much brighter they were and that the edge clarity was much better. Depending on where you are in AZ I would be happy to let you look though the GPO if you are curious.