Why is the Canadian model far less friendly to Non-Resident hunters compared to the US?

tater

WKR
As i said, there is a lot to understand and non resident money IS NOT a factor for consumptive uses.

Actually, studies showing that non-consumptive use brings in more revenue than hunting and fishing is part of the reason why the grizzly bear hunt disappeared.

The incentives of "external voices and money" have no weight in this Province. They actually run the risk of having non-hunting support evaporating for resident hunting.

While there are a lot of similarities between U.S. and Canadian citizens, there are also some big cultural and political differences that are hard to understand from a distance.

Can't Canadians come here and hunt DIY? Man I would sure love to do that in canada

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Yes, they can put in for tags in the lower 48 just like we can. I know a resident of Alberta who has pulled a desert bighorn tag in AZ and this year pulled a rocky bighorn tag in Montana. He is on this forum but doesn't post much

Weldor

WKR
The high paying American client would be coming anyway. I get why an international non-resident hunter would be required to pay for an outfitter, just as I would if I hunted in a different country.

The point I'm trying to make is that as a Canadian, I should be able to apply for any game in any Province or Territory by just buying the requisite tags/licences. Not being treated the same as an international hunter.

We deserve more of a home team advantage like the US and many European nations have.
I agree, Absolutely. Years back. I remember Hunters from Ohio, Mi. etc buying moose tags for Ontario no guide required that I recall. The 70's feel free to correct me if I am wrong. We used to cross the bridge and Pheasant and duck hunt all the time back then.

OP
N
My initial response was late at night and a half baked cookie, so i will break this down from a B.C. perspective as it sits currently (and this is very surface and i can't stress how the subject is WAY MORE complex and political than this simple summary).

Non-hunting residents in B.C. (the majority of voters) DO NOT support the allocation of hunting opportunities to ANY non residents of B.C.. This became clear during the "information seeking" that saw the closure of the grizzly bear hunt. B.C. Non-hunters support local hunting for food. They are clear in that, (over 70% support) but see any non resident activity as removing resources from rural communities and "trophy hunting".
Having said that, there is no political incentive to give more NR's of any flavour more opportunity and no governing party will hang themselves over it.

We are still at risk of losing sheep and mountain goat seasons and will continue to be so until we can show that hunting those species are not a "vanity trophy hunt' (an exact quote from my Member of the Legislative Assembly that i met with when the Province was exploring closure three years ago).

As populations of certain species have declined, there are areas that have requested that B.C. residents from other zones not be allowed to hunt/harvest what they see as their critical local food source. Moose in particular has become a heated topic, and there have been large cuts to OTC opportunities for locals in Region 7 and a move to LEH.

Non hunting urbanites also support the Provincial move to the principles of UNDRIP that see the return of control of the land and resources to First Nations. This has begun to close large areas to non-Indigenous hunters (and this will continue to grow), especially in Regions 5 and 6, but also 7A and B.

So for clarity, if B.C. residents are continuing to see a reduction in access and opportunity and a declining support for any non-resident participation from the larger voting population why would anyone with any degree of perspective think that NR opportunity will or should increase?

Its not as simple as "i don't want non-residents hunting my space". We are heading towards large changes, and i predict that in the next ten years no one will be hunting in B.C. unless they are Indigenous or B.C. residents.
Guide outfitters will see their tenures stripped (as they have done to Doug McMann at Skinner Creek) or bought out (as they have done with multiple tenures in the Great Bear area).
There may be a First Nation that decides to provide guided hunts in their area in the future, but i doubt that their residents will support it.
Thanks for your explanation, I can understand your perspective. I had no idea that game in many areas throughout BC was on the decline and that it's undergoing such political attacks.

BC and the Territories are all viewed as the lands of plenty to us living in the east.

My initial response was late at night and a half baked cookie, so i will break this down from a B.C. perspective as it sits currently (and this is very surface and i can't stress how the subject is WAY MORE complex and political than this simple summary).

Non-hunting residents in B.C. (the majority of voters) DO NOT support the allocation of hunting opportunities to ANY non residents of B.C.. This became clear during the "information seeking" that saw the closure of the grizzly bear hunt. B.C. Non-hunters support local hunting for food. They are clear in that, (over 70% support) but see any non resident activity as removing resources from rural communities and "trophy hunting".
Having said that, there is no political incentive to give more NR's of any flavour more opportunity and no governing party will hang themselves over it.

We are still at risk of losing sheep and mountain goat seasons and will continue to be so until we can show that hunting those species are not a "vanity trophy hunt' (an exact quote from my Member of the Legislative Assembly that i met with when the Province was exploring closure three years ago).

As populations of certain species have declined, there are areas that have requested that B.C. residents from other zones not be allowed to hunt/harvest what they see as their critical local food source. Moose in particular has become a heated topic, and there have been large cuts to OTC opportunities for locals in Region 7 and a move to LEH.

Non hunting urbanites also support the Provincial move to the principles of UNDRIP that see the return of control of the land and resources to First Nations. This has begun to close large areas to non-Indigenous hunters (and this will continue to grow), especially in Regions 5 and 6, but also 7A and B.

So for clarity, if B.C. residents are continuing to see a reduction in access and opportunity and a declining support for any non-resident participation from the larger voting population why would anyone with any degree of perspective think that NR opportunity will or should increase?

Its not as simple as "i don't want non-residents hunting my space". We are heading towards large changes, and i predict that in the next ten years no one will be hunting in B.C. unless they are Indigenous or B.C. residents.
Guide outfitters will see their tenures stripped (as they have done to Doug McMann at Skinner Creek) or bought out (as they have done with multiple tenures in the Great Bear area).
There may be a First Nation that decides to provide guided hunts in their area in the future, but i doubt that their residents will support it.
Great response. Thanks for this!