Why I won’t buy a Tikka

Antares

WKR
Question on empty chamber and uncocked. Do you guys just close the bolt on an empty chamber and pull the trigger? Never thought much about this as I just carry the rifle with empty chamber until it’s time to rack one in.

I carry empty chamber and cocked with the safety on because I like the bolt being locked shut and you can’t put the safety on on a Tikka unless it’s cocked.

Bowfinn

FNG
I carry empty chamber and cocked with the safety on because I like the bolt being locked shut and you can’t put the safety on on a Tikka unless it’s cocked.
It seems counterintuitive but, I’ve had the bolt get opened with the safety on more frequently than with the hammer uncocked on an empty chamber.

I guess everybody's already out of popcorn but:

- Tikkas have the best feeling bolt there is, bar none. Keeping a two lug design for slick cocking, but limiting the required rotation to 70 degrees is genius

- The mini Howas and Remington Model 7's are cute, but the action size is a moot point when Tikkas are among the lightest factory options, in addition to having the easiest and quickest running bolt, save for the better of the straight pulls.

- Carry the Tikka cocked and locked when out stalking. Three position safeties are lame because they're either loud or slow. Safeties should lock the bolt shut. Lawyer-safeties without this feature are inferior.

Dave0317

WKR
It seems counterintuitive but, I’ve had the bolt get opened with the safety on more frequently than with the hammer uncocked on an empty chamber.
On a Tikka?
On a Remington or similar, I’m sure that’s true. The bolt doesn’t lock whether the safety is on or off.
On a Tikka, the safety locks the bolt. If it doesn’t, something has broken.

The tikka style or a three position are both better than the Remington system. However, plenty of Remingtons have been carried in far worse and more chaotic conditions than what hunters use them for, and that’s not been one of the top issues or complaints I’ve seen.