Why I like pic rings, and having a spare scope.

sndmn11

WKR
PXL_20230723_234840796.jpg

Easy to switch things around!

I was seeing some weird things today on the hot side of the range and in the scope. Having a backup scope, a few in my case, setup in pic rings ready to go allowed me to pop this booboo off and be back to whole in two minutes.

Have a spare, and have a means for mounting it.

nobody

WKR
Holy cow, what optic is that and any idea what caused it?? Looks to be an SWFA MQ of some variety maybe?

And amen to the insurance policy, I’ve got 2 in my safe right now. Waiting for SWFA’s to be in stock again and I’ll probably pick up a couple more. Peace of mind is worth more than a few hundred bucks.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
what optic is that and any idea what caused it?? Looks to be an SWFA MQ of some variety maybe?

6x mil, nothing comes to mind. It is on a 6.5creed that shoots 85gr hammers. The last time we were out the was some weird stringing and I thought the reticle looked weird yesterday. I went through all of my scopes and checked their plumb. Was happy with them all.

Today I shot a few good shots and a few terrible shots, walked down and marked them, then went to shoot another 6, and it was easily noticeable crooked the other way than shown in the pic.

Some shakes and taps will get it to move.

nobody

WKR
6x mil, nothing comes to mind. It is on a 6.5creed that shoots 85gr hammers. The last time we were out the was some weird stringing and I thought the reticle looked weird yesterday. I went through all of my scopes and checked their plumb. Was happy with them all.

Today I shot a few good shots and a few terrible shots, walked down and marked them, then went to shoot another 6, and it was easily noticeable crooked the other way than shown in the pic.

Some shakes and taps will get it to move.
Bummer, at least you were able to get it figured out with minimal rounds and time.

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
I moved to pic rail and rings on everything quite a few years ago.
Just so much easier to try out a different scope of a rifle or even use multiple scopes on a single rifle.

I used to have the Talley rings on all my Tikka's then JnP adapaters with Burris signature rings on my rimfires, it was an absolute ballache.
Pretty much solely use NF ultralite rings now, they return to zero perfectly (or at least near enough to not notice) that I can play around with my scopes and not ahve to worry about re-zoring them.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've never seen or heard of a reticle being almost 20 degrees off like that before......or anything even close to that. Do you have the level on top of the turret?

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I've never seen or heard of a reticle being almost 20 degrees off like that before......or anything even close to that. Do you have the level on top of the turret?

Yes, a little wiggle waggle and it'll roll around the other way.

PXL_20230724_173231728.jpg

Last edited: