Why doesn't this scope exist?

I've been searching all over the internet and cannot find a scope to meet this criteria. I'm looking for something with like a 3-12 magnification, about a 40mm objective, a simple bdc reticle like vortex has, 1 inch tube diameter, no exposed turrets, and lightweight, but I want it to be first focal plane. I hate second focal plane where you have to be on max magnification for the reticle subtentions to be accurate and every scope on the market that is similar to what I described is second focal place. I can't believe this scope doesn't exist but it seems like it doesn't. The closest I can find is the nikon prostaff 5 3.5-14x40, nikon monarch 3 4-16x42, and burris veracity 2-10x42 but the nikons have been discontinued and I can't find one anywhere not even ebay and the burris has a 30mm tube and is too heavy for my liking(22oz). My ideal scope would be the vortex diamondback 4-12x40 with the dead hold bdc but it would have a first focal plane reticle. I wish vortex would make a ffp option with all of their scopes. Maybe I'm the only one that this niche would satisfy but I don't think I am.

What are your guys' thoughts on this? And if you know of a scope that meets these criteria then let me know.

Last edited:
OP
Western Hunter270
At 12x max, how often are you actually below 12x and needing to hold for elevation?
Where I hunt elk it's lots of thick timber with opportunities at cross canyon shots, so I keep my scope at 4 power most of the time when I'm in the timber and I've had to make very quick cross canyon shots through little openings in the timber and most of the time I barely have time to range them, let alone having the extra variable of making sure my scope is on the correct power. It's just a matter of simplicity to me. I even tried looking for a fixed 6 power scope with a bdc reticle for maximum simplicity but it seems that that doesn't exist either.

I've been searching all over the internet and cannot find a scope to meet this criteria. I'm looking for something with like a 3-12 magnification, about a 40mm objective, a simple bdc reticle like vortex has, 1 inch tube diameter, no exposed turrets, and lightweight, but I want it to be first focal plane. I hate second focal plane where you have to be on max magnification for the reticle subtentions to be accurate and every scope on the market that is similar to what I described is second focal place. I can't believe this scope doesn't exist but it seems like it doesn't. The closest I can find is the nikon prostaff 5 3.5-14x40, nikon monarch 3 4-16x42, and burris veracity 2-10x42 but the nikons have been discontinued and I can't find one anywhere not even ebay and the burris has a 30mm tube and is too heavy for my liking(22oz). My ideal scope would be the vortex diamondback 4-12x40 with the dead hold bdc but it would have a first focal plane reticle. I wish vortex would make a ffp option with all of their scopes. Maybe I'm the only one that this niche would satisfy but I don't think I am.

What are your guys' thoughts on this? And if you know of a scope that meets these criteria then let me know.
An LPVO might be closest to what you are looking for. A lot come in FFP and you can get them from 1-6, 1-8, or 1-10 with capped turrets. I just got my first LPVO this week, so I am no expert, but it is going fill the same niche that you are looking to fill. Mine is the credo hx 1-8x28 - definitely more than you are looking for, but at 8x I can shoot out to 700 yards pretty easy.

nobody

WKR
https://mavenbuilt.com/collections/riflescopes/products/rs-1-2-5-15x44

This checks every box you're wanting, except its 30mm tube. 1 inch tubes are a thing of yesteryear. I wouldn't get hunt up on a 1 inch tube. 30mm is the new standard in the scope industry, with 34 and 35mm tubes being what 30's were 15 or 20 years ago.

Another thing to remember is that uber lightweight typically means a company has had to compromise build quality in order to hit a lighter weight. Not always, but typically this is what happens. You really have to compromise a scope's build in order to get below 20-ish ounces. Personally, I'll carry a 24 ounce optic over a 20 ounce optic in order to increase the probability of improved durability and zero holding ability. Cut your weight in other areas and carry the extra optic weight. You'll be happier in the long run. There's a reason Nightforce scopes aren't ultralight, and a reason they tend to be more durable and reliable.

But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet.

TN2shot07

WKR
Just got my Maven crs1 this week. 3-12x40, one inch tube, not a plain duplex but nothing like a Christmas tree, but it is sfp

TN2shot07

WKR
Has it met your initial expectations?
I’m impressed so far. I use a plain duplex on all of my glass but their reticle is very clean and didn’t bother me at all. I have a couple of vx3HD’s and it is at least as good initially as those. Looking forward to comparing them side by side in low light but haven’t had a chance yet