Why do we buy soft shells?

evo1mike

FNG
I do alot more reading here than posting but I'll chime in on this from a perspective alot of people aren't commenting on.

Id never ever pack in a softshell in early season or for rain or on any mobile hike. But not every hunting trip is an early September elk hunt from a backpack.

But come late November here in the interior of BC (and similar I'm sure to alot of cooler states), I absolutely can't wait to throw on my jetatream jacket when it's freezing or below, and the wind is howling, and I'm walking mule deer from a basecamp. We will do 15km/day slow moving from a base camp (wall tent or trailers) thru enormous burns. Howling cold wind non stop, never rain, often cold snow. Real hard to beat a Jetstream in that scenario. I'll throw it in the pack to get from camp to up on the plateau, then wear it all day with a few layers under it. Blocks the wind which is colder than the air temp very well and is very cozy.

cumminsbassguy

Lil-Rokslider
As a new to me owner of a jetstream, I have put it through a 4 day dall sheep hunt and a 7 day moose hunt.. the sheep hunt it was my pillow. I thought I would use it more but my ambient and wind jacket were more than enough. Temps were 60ish degrees during the day and down to 35 at night.
This moose hunt, out of 7 hunting days it rained 6.5 of them. Sometimes all day sometime off and on, even snowed a day.. Temps were 50-33 ish. I lived in my ambient and jetstream, then rain jacket over the top when it started to come down. There were a few hours total where the wind wasn't blowing in some sense and the jetstream did an amazing job the entire time. I would recommend a soft shell all day. My hunting partner never leaves his jetstream behind

Soft shells are niche pieces, IMO. I do like them, but I also don’t backpack hunt. I’m very happy with the current Jetstream and Evo. I use them as wind shells and light precipitation to save wear and tear on my Gore-Tex hard shells. I only wear a hard shell when I have to, for a few reasons:
1.) they don’t breathe well
2.) when they get torn up or worn heavily, they don’t perform as you NEED them to.
3.) Generally more expensive.
4.) With everyone going anti-PFAS, genuine Gore-Tex Pro is going to be on its way out, I fear. I’m hoarding and taking care of my favorite pieces to hopefully last until something as good as Gore-Tex Pro is made. Currently, I know of no such fabric that exists. I also know that ruffles feathers, but it’s been my experience.

Softshells are my solution to extend the useful life of my very situational hard shells that I want to last as long as possible. Softshell durability is easily one of the main attributes I like them for. They generally wear very well.

Again, I’m looking at this from a non-backpacking, non-counting ounces perspective.

I even have non-windproof, non-waterproof soft shells I like for moderate wind, colder temp, higher exertion activities (walking/wading) where I just need a little windbreak, but still breathe enough to stay dry and not wet-out from the inside. My favorite one is a previous model Duluth Trading jacket with no laminate, but has pit zips. It’s always in the rotation for me as well. The Mountain Evo may take its place this fall/winter, as that piece really is awesome.

Last edited: