Why do rifle hunters use Camouflage ? The few times I’ve used a rifle I never wore camo of any kind.. seems silly.

Rich M

WKR
You obviously don't own any Kuiu, Sitka, or First Lite hunt clothes if you assume it is cheaper than standard attire.

Higher end hunting clothes are designed after mountaineering and/or high end mountain/recreational clothing.
The insulations, the synthetics, and the wicking properties are what keep you alive in weather extremes out West.

Why would i buy that stuff? It is pricey.

You leave the price tags on so you can whip em out and compare w other guys? ;)

What good is camo if you have bright orange vest on?

Serious side - i wear wool or jeans, depending on the hunt. Down here we wear shorts and flip flops some days it's just so hot. Still gotta wear orange during rifle season.

Hnthrdr

WKR

Serious side - i wear wool or jeans, depending on the hunt. Down here we wear shorts and flip flops some days it's just so hot. Still gotta wear orange during rifle season.
No hate but I don’t have any jeans that I would want to do a 5-10 plus mile day in… that’s sounds like a whole lotta of swamp-azz, heck even some of the tech pants and I’m still get some chaffage

Rich M

WKR
No hate but I don’t have any jeans that I would want to do a 5-10 plus mile day in… that’s sounds like a whole lotta of swamp-azz, heck even some of the tech pants and I’m still get some chaffage

I wear long boxer brief things for walking. Did do 6 miles walking out after burying truck in a swamp and wore a bloody hole in my leg w jeans - just can't get much else to fit right, so use jeans - even offshore fishing.

We get the swamp-azz down here real bad, you step outta yer vehicle and are soaked before you even get your pack on. Gotta wear stuff that fits tight and stops the rubbing.

wytx

WKR
Those better be fleece lined jeans to hunt elk in, lol.

The new materials are just lighter, dry faster and are move comfortable to wear for mountain hunting. The newer insulation is also lighter weight and does better when wet.
Some folks will never get it.

Never going to get rid of my wool shirts, coats ands pants though.

Rich M

WKR
Those better be fleece lined jeans to hunt elk in, lol.

The new materials are just lighter, dry faster and are move comfortable to wear for mountain hunting. The newer insulation is also lighter weight and does better when wet.
Some folks will never get it.

Never going to get rid of my wool shirts, coats ands pants though.

When I lived up north, we usually hunted in the snow the full season. Wore and I think still have the wool pants & jackets & hat. Would hang em by the stove to dry overnight, dry in morning.

I'm too old to spend $1,000 on an outfit to hunt in. Maybe if was 20-30 years younger and could get some miles out of it. But my remaining seasons in the cold are numbered, so no real need.

WyoJeff

FNG
Always interesting to watch the TV shows with the sponsored hunter in thousands of dollars of camo FOLLOWING the guide whose wearing old wornout working clothes

When I watch hunting shows on TV, the only thing I really notice is when someone (hunter or guide) is wearing blue jeans, it seems the blue jeans really stand out compared to any other clothing that is worn. Camo blends in better, but the jeans almost seem to glow. If an animal can actually see it, I'm not sure.

I don’t understand the fully camo rifle guys… especially the ones shooting over 200 yards.. makes no sense .. but Bass Pro says it looks cool so there you go..
Who gives a rats ***? Talk about digging for something to argue about. The Internet is beyond stupid sometimes. Don’t think it helps, don’t wear it. If you do, wear it. If it is what you own, wear it.

manitou1

WKR

That explains it.

If you hunted the mountains you would understand.

Several years ago a buddy and I were about six or seven miles in at about 9000' elevation bowhunting elk. It was in the mid 70's when we started our hunt. We were wearing lightweight pants and t-shirts... camo, of course.

Starting before daylight, we hunted our way up.

When we reached the peak six hours later, a snow storm blew in. White-out conditions and temps in the twenties... almost instantly. We had to abandon the hunt or face serious consequences.

We now both, no matter what the starting weather is, keep rain gear, beanies, gloves and puffies in our packs when hunting higher elevations.

The mountains make their own weather. I live at 5000' and look at the peaks from my living room window. They are just a few miles away. A few days ago I was mowing my yard in 78 degree temps while wearing a t-shirt while watching it snow on the mountain.
Here is a pic taken from our road on my way to town within a day or two of that day mowing.
IMG_6946.jpeg
Good clothing here will make or break a hike, fishing trip or hunt at elevation here. Cheap clothing can get you killed.

Several people a year are rescued or bodies recovered here due to bad decisions or poor preparation.

Last edited:

manitou1

WKR
When I watch hunting shows on TV, the only thing I really notice is when someone (hunter or guide) is wearing blue jeans, it seems the blue jeans really stand out compared to any other clothing that is worn. Camo blends in better, but the jeans almost seem to glow. If an animal can actually see it, I'm not sure.
Deer have longer rods and cones in their eyes. They see reds and oranges as muted white or grey. Due to the make up if their eyes, blues and purples are as bright as we see hunter orange.

OP
ShackNasty Jim
Who gives a rats ***? Talk about digging for something to argue about. The Internet is beyond stupid sometimes. Don’t think it helps, don’t wear it. If you do, wear it. If it is what you own, wear it.
man you’re a bit sour. no one is arguing here…it was a question. do you take all questions as arguments? sorry for the folks who are personally around you if that truly is the case. Have a nice day.

DustyCogs

FNG
Do I wear camo rifle hunting, Yes.
Do I hate wearing orange bow hunting, Yes.

AITA... I mean definitely but that's a different thread.

I have an obsessive personality. What is the purpose of not wearing camo? I wear camo to attempt to control every damn variable I can, even if the advantage is slim. I like to think in extremes. Would you wear a white t-shirt and sweats on a dry fall day rifle hunting?
Solids are stylish nowadays, it's the new fad to look cool for the gram. I'm not disagreeing there, a good set of solid pants with a camo upper is sharp, etc... But there's no way to keep your man card by saying I wear solids to look stylish, so instead they dog on the camo guys.

49ereric

WKR
I wear long boxer brief things for walking. Did do 6 miles walking out after burying truck in a swamp and wore a bloody hole in my leg w jeans - just can't get much else to fit right, so use jeans - even offshore fishing.

We get the swamp-azz down here real bad, you step outta yer vehicle and are soaked before you even get your pack on. Gotta wear stuff that fits tight and stops the rubbing.
No undies if walking the woods in the summer or swamp ass asap

Rich M

WKR
That explains it.

If you hunted the mountains you would understand.

Several years ago a buddy and I were about six or seven miles in at about 9000' elevation bowhunting elk. It was in the mid 70's when we started our hunt. We were wearing lightweight pants and t-shirts... camo, of course.

Starting before daylight, we hunted our way up.

When we reached the peak six hours later, a snow storm blew in. White-out conditions and temps in the twenties... almost instantly. We had to abandon the hunt or face serious consequences.

We now both, no matter what the starting weather is, keep rain gear, beanies, gloves and puffies in our packs when hunting higher elevations.

The mountains make their own weather. I live at 5000' and look at the peaks from my living room window. They are just a few miles away. A few days ago I was mowing my yard in 78 degree temps while wearing a t-shirt while watching it snow on the mountain.
Here is a pic taken from our road on my way to town within a day or two of that day mowing.
View attachment 720319
Good clothing here will make or break a hike, fishing trip or hunt at elevation here. Cheap clothing can get you killed.

Several people a year are rescued or bodies recovered here due to bad decisions or poor preparation.
I have hunted the mountains twice and once had to start a fire to dry off and warm up/stave off hypothermia. Other time it didn't rain but went subzero and snowed - was okay then, just went slower to keep from sweating...

Good clothing is important. Beautiful mtns.