Why do people "tape" their scopes?

philcox

WKR
I have seen a number of pictures with scopes that are all taped up. I was wondering what the purpose of that was? Is it to prevent noise from a metal scope "dinging" on something? Or more to protect the scope from "getting dinged"? Also seems like they are using the flexible athletic tape to do it, and wonder if they have problems of it losing adhesion and coming unwrapped. Just curious.

Wapiti151

WKR
I think most of them I've seen have used vet wrap (coban) material. I use this on my spotters for a bit of protection that's much lighter and less bulky than stay on type cases. But the reason on a scope....also no idea.

ChrisAU

WKR
I use it or other means on my competition rifles to protect the finish of the scopes. Pushing them into barricades/fences/etc and then pulling them out can scrape them up pretty badly pretty quickly. Which I don't care what it looks like, but resale value is important.

Last edited:

codym

WKR
I use vet wrap followed by sports tape. It’s light and easy to remove. I manage to eat shit walking out of my drive way. Have a couple really nice scopes that looked like I dragged them behind my truck because I couldn’t stay upright, just a little cheap protection for me.

I apply it to my coyote rifle on the scope and barrel. IDK if it helps keep them from seeing a glare when I'm swinging on them but I doubt it hurts.

Wapiti151

WKR
I apply it to my coyote rifle on the scope and barrel. IDK if it helps keep them from seeing a glare when I'm swinging on them but I doubt it hurts.
does the heat from your bbl cause any leftover residue from vet wrap when you remove? Or is that stuff pretty good when it gets hot

does the heat from your bbl cause any leftover residue from vet wrap when you remove? Or is that stuff pretty good when it gets hot
I haven't noticed any. I actually use something that is like vet wrap that is camo. It's $6 for 6 different colors. I throw the snow camo on in the winter and random during the summer/fall.

It seems tackier. I have wrapped from the end of my suppressor to my action and haven't had an issue with residue. I don't go by the philosophy of bullet saturation when shooting coyotes so I doubt my rifle/suppressor is getting that warm. Max is probably 7 shots or so.

For my expensive scopes I'll probably get scope chaps to protect the finish for future resale value. I imagine the vet wrap does the same thing but cheaper. I'd encourage people not to automatically assume others doing things differently means they're just trying to be cool or tactical.

Article 4

WKR
I use it for both protection and to also ensure that my scope caps stay on when I am in the backcountry or busting through scrub oaks etc...They can sometimes get pulled off so I electrical tape them to ensure I am not in a bad way during frost/rain etc...

Attachments

• IMG_25A36B74456E-1.jpeg
    IMG_25A36B74456E-1.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 24

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I use camo form or gaffers tape on my scopes. Gaffers tape allows me to write quick rough dope for different distances. Easy enough to peel off (leaves no residue) when I change locations. It doubles to keep noise down slightly when on my pack. Nothing I have found in the wild that sounds quite like a metallic “clank” so I try to avoid that wherever possible.

Some guys do the camoform to break up signature without painting the optic. I doubt it makes a huge difference