Why Attend a Long-Range Shooting Course?

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Has anyone attended a Long-Range (LR) shooting course? If so, which one?

What were your takeaways, and would you recommend others to do the same?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It is one of the best things you can do, at a good school. The feedback and education is the fastest way to competency.

I went to one, and it was very good.

Kind of, Bangsteel. It's more of a "bring whatever rifle you have and I'll show you that you can shoot long range with it" sort of deal. I will be taking a LR class at Coleman's Creek in the spring though probably. I've heard very good things about them. I want to attend a more formal class with them because I need to rebuild my shooting form from the ground up and my fundamentals are terrible right now. And if I could swing the cost/travel I'd love to take a class from Frank Galli, Rifles Only, or maybe Caylen Wojcik because all of their classes have reputations for hammering the fundamentals the whole time.

Schism

WKR
I've attended two classes from Frank Galli and Marc Taylor. Both were 3-day, PR1 level with targets to 1250 or so.

After taking the classes I had better shooting fundamentals and subsequently more confidence in making first round hits on targets that I probably wouldn't have been willing to attempt before. It was beneficial to both learn from experienced instructors and to be able to watch other students shoot while hearing instructor feedback to them. All the people attending each class were great and we all were more than willing to let others shoot our rifles, look through our scopes, use tripods etc so we could "try before we buy" new shooting equipment.

I would definitely recommend these classes to others.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I used to instruct “long range basics” and then “long range advanced” programs. I am biased, but the vast majority of “long range schools” that I’ve seen, or heard feedback from recently, aren’t fantastic.

Wapiti1

WKR
Because it is in the future, your options are limited. You have to prove be can’t or won’t perform the agreement: anticipatory repudiation.

Suing and fighting in court takes a special type of person, or it can be the worst thing in your life.

Buyer beware.

Sucks, but any time and money you dump into this is likely good after bad. He probably doesn’t have the money to pay you and sounds like he might not be able to perform. You’ll have to sue in AK and a judgment could be worthless. See if he has assets before you go the legal route.
Are you in the right thread?

Wapiti1

WKR
To the OP, depends on your end game. Most shooting classes teach shooting in a pretty controlled setting. Lots of prone and solidly rested shooting work, and not as much positional shooting like you would find in real world hunting situations.

Good to get fundamentals worked out for a new shooter, not as good for someone that wants to improve hunt shooting skills. IMO.

Most are taught by competition shooters or folks trained for military or law enforcement. Can be good instruction, but it may not apply to your situation.

I'd ask a lot of questions on what they teach and how and wouldn't go if I couldn't shoot my rifle. I don't need to know how I perform with their, likely not hunting friendly, equipment. I want to know how I do with mine so I can know my limits.

Jeremy

Hydra6

FNG
I decided late in life to pursue PRS and also to use that knowledge to improve my shooting skills for hunting.
1) Took 4 day class at K&M Precision in Finger TN - this is PRS oriented. Excellent facility, knowledgeable instructors. Great foundational class. (They now offer more hunting oriented training too).
2) JTAC class in Oklahoma. PRS specific but great for wind calls. Taught by five of the "GOATs" of PRS.
3) Did one on one class with a PRO PRS competitor in South Carolina for two days. I needed this vs a group class to focus on my specific areas that needed improvement.

I highly recommend training - I look at it as a "vacation" - what would I spend on a cruise/Disney/etc. and then compare to how much I enjoy the learning in my hobby/sport. How many rounds will you spend to teach yourself what you would learn in a class (if you can do it yourself).

TaperPin

WKR
Long range shooting could take the form of a dozen different directions, taught in a dozen different ways. Instruction from someone who really knows their thing is the best way to improve quickly, or to fine tune a system that’s already working well, but only if what’s being taught is applicable. Many attendees we never hear from, found out the class they attended wasn’t what they were expecting and it won’t move their ball towards the goal post much. Go with someone who is doing at a high level, exactly what you dream of doing, and don’t assume a class will somehow morph to take your interests into account.

It seems every outfitter, gunsmith, gun range, or gun nut is providing long range instruction at least on a small scale. Coming in cold, I can’t imagine how someone could figure out who to pick, other than recommendations and descriptions from attendees. Stay away from unknown options even if they are cheap, but to some extent you have to make a call based on imperfect information and you get what you get.