Who's waiting on FL puffy and rain jacket?

I heard they will both be available in June. Is this on anyone's must buy list? Has anyone tried/seen them at the shows?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Mike (Hells Canyon) posted up a video review of the puffy. I have one of the prototypes as well, and I have been wearing it just about every day for the last week, with the weather the way it is.

I will be putting together some notes on it soon.

IAHNTR

WKR
I want the puffy for sittin in a treestand. I had the spindrift last year and I hope the FL is a little warmer. What are the camo options? and you can get a solid color with just camo cuffs? Anyone know this?

Kotaman

WKR
Yep, lookin at a Puffy. Looks like the new stuff will come in Max1, ASAT and Real Tree as well as the normal Dry Earth Solids.

I would really like to see a side by side comparrison of the FL Puffy vs. Kuiu Superdown before picking a side. Wish I could afford both, but it's just not going to happen this year. I know Mike(hellscanyon) did a review comparring it to the spindrift, I just think the Superdown would be a closer match. Anyone have both???

The Kuiu superdown is much lighter at 10 ounces vs. the Firstlite's 19.4 ounces. I did wear my Firstlite in some NASTY conditions about 3 weeks ago with just a merino base layer underneath. 35*, windy, and snowing big fat wet snowflakes... not to mention we were laying on shooting mats that were soaking wet and compressing the insulation into the cold melted snow with our body weight. Jacket performed GREAT and I never got cold. It did soak through a bit into the insulation but once back at the shop hung the jacket up next to the wood stove and it was dry in 10 minutes. I've also worn this jacket in 20+ mph winds and it cuts the wind like a champ. Wish I had the superdown to test with it, but I've heard the FL is warmer.

Here's the video from the FL review I did... It's not near as loud as my shop makes it sound! Also the production run jackets will have the zipper on the right side like normal jackets do.
[video=vimeo;59610682]https://vimeo.com/59610682[/video]

Mike

I have the Solid one with camo cuffs. I also have the Superdown and the Spindrift, I like both of those as well and they have a place in my pack.

That said, the FL Puffy coat is cut a bit bigger than both of the KUIU jackets, which is the part I like the most. When I get to a glassing point and the wind is howling, the last thing I want to do is take a layer off to put my jacket on. The FL jacket can easily go on over whatever layers you have on. I used it quite a bit over the past 2 months, great jacket and if someone is thinking about ordering one you can do so without any regrets.

Like Mike said, this jacket really does a great job at blocking the wind too. It is certainly warmer than the KUIU products, but also weighs more and thus doesn't compress as small as the SuperDown.

Great jacket, I think FL nailed it with this one, then again I love all their gear...

I've been out in the field testing the two jackets and have been pretty impressed with them. The puffy will definitely be in my pack this year, with the DWR coating its going to make a great insulating layer, will be good in a light rain and also will make a comfy pillow in the tent or an extra layer to sleep in if its really cold. Only complaint is I wish the fabric was a little quieter but for me it will mostly be used while glassing so it won't matter.

Attachments

• IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0119small.jpg
    IMG_0119small.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 120

Whisky

WKR
I've been out in the field testing the two jackets and have been pretty impressed with them. The puffy will definitely be in my pack this year, with the DWR coating its going to make a great insulating layer, will be good in a light rain and also will make a comfy pillow in the tent or an extra layer to sleep in if its really cold. Only complaint is I wish the fabric was a little quieter but for me it will mostly be used while glassing so it won't matter.

You ever get an email I sent you a few weeks ago regarding pre-ordering this stuff? Are you accepting pre-orders?

Thanks!!

You ever get an email I sent you a few weeks ago regarding pre-ordering this stuff? Are you accepting pre-orders?

Thanks!!

Sorry yeah I did. I'll have the stuff up on the website soon, probably next week sometime and people can start placing pre-orders.

Steve

Good stuff Steve! A bunch of people have been asking me where to pre-order it, I will try to send them your way!

Just finished up this quick review testing out the DWR coating on the puffy;

[video=youtube;TAVbHsbToUc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAVbHsbToUc&feature=youtu.be[/video]