Who's plans have changed so far this year?

cmeier117

WKR
My plans for elk just changed last night. We decided the area we were going into held little elk and are going somewhere my father in-law has hunted his whole life for rifle and the last 4 years for bow. Same dates Sep. 15-22 just further east. Anyone else change location recently?

bbrown

WKR
Just turned in my archery deer tag that starts this weekend - man that sucked!!! But between work and setting up our Outfitting elk camps this weekend, a good buddy coming back into town next weekend, guiding a muzzleloader hunt the following week and taking my old man on a early rifle cow elk hunt there is not a ton of time left to keep the wife happy and try to hunt for myself.

I guess it could be worse...

Schism

WKR
Several hundred thousand acres of Forest Service land burned this summer has been changing my plans almost weekly. Hopefully we can get some rain which will help me figure out where and when to go.

Yeah just got married and then have a smoke pole season start for deer on the 8th and it runs through the 16th. Then I have family obligations in Iowa the next weekend. I have a rifle elk tag that took 7 years to draw that stars the 13th of October and I am getting to scout way less than I thought.

2rocky

WKR
My main hunting partner just got a new job in Sacramento. This could mess up our October Elk hunt, and his mule deer tag in Modoc county.

B

bearguide

we should be in alaska hunting moose starting sat. but now we are going into the gros ventre next thurs

Lawnboi

WKR
Im not even hunting elk this year anymore. School all summer long took alot of money and gave me zero time to shoot the bow. I did get out and scout last weekend (and fished, the trout kicked my butt), which almost made me sick seeing the elk that we did see. either way, i found a damn good bull for next year.

Atleast your still hunting for them this year, now iv got to wait for nov mulie to be my main excitement for the year

Chem-E

Lil-Rokslider
Plans change; school and family obligations took priority over the opening weekend. I might get out a few days this coming labor day, but that will be it for the whole archery season. better than nothing I guess, but then again I could get tied down this weekend as well. The last two years Ive had elk tags that just sat in my desk drawer. I held on to them in vain thinking I could get out, which never materialized. Im kind of getting used to it going down like this and I cant tell if that is a good or bad thing anymore!
Tough pill to swallow after 7 straight successful years prior to the previous 2.

Im not even hunting elk this year anymore. School all summer long took alot of money and gave me zero time to shoot the bow. I did get out and scout last weekend (and fished, the trout kicked my butt), which almost made me sick seeing the elk that we did see. either way, i found a damn good bull for next year.

Atleast your still hunting for them this year, now iv got to wait for nov mulie to be my main excitement for the year

that sucks man!

Yeah, originally I was planning on hunting the last week of the season 9/16-9/23. Now it looks like I have to add the weekend before too. Dang

JDC

FNG
Had a great week in CO planned for Sept 10th. Then I got a call on a job I was hoping for but they didn't want to wait until Sept 17th for me to start. So I ended up going solo for part of the first week. Didn't hear a bull but saw plenty and got within range of four small bulls. Didn't let the arrow loose because of the heat I was worried I couldnt get the meat out before it spoiled. Had a blast anyway and saw some gorgeous country.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Mine were changed, but in a good way. I found a big deer that I intend to hunt pretty hard the weekend of the opener, had planned on going to a completely different area. When they show up though, you have to hunt em.

ktowncamo

WKR
My go to spot that I scouted all summer had moo cows move in just a couple of days before the opener. Man I hate Moo Cows, that and sheep...but don't get me started. But my second area that I scouted has been $$. I've had three very close shot situations but haven't been able to seal the deal. I'm constantly changing within that zone as I learn it more. I think the more you hunt in a season the more your plans tend to change. Perhaps that's just me though.

Well a little bit different take than weather, fire or family obligatioins, but last week I was in a car wreck that was fairly serious and totalled the vehicle i was driving. All is well with me though. Sent me to the E.R. for a few hours but no more than a swelled up knee and ankle and some bruised ribs. Luckily i was by myself. I was hit on the passenger side by a lady who ran a red light at 10:30 at night. By the way SHE got a DUI and a ride to the police shortly after the incident took place. I was joking with my wife around 2 am after the E.R visit and i told her "you know most people say they see their life flash beofre their eyes.....well all i could see was my elk season flash beofre my eyes."
Leaving tomorrow to hunt so I am a happy camper.

Curtis C

WKR
Well a little bit different take than weather, fire or family obligatioins, but last week I was in a car wreck that was fairly serious and totalled the vehicle i was driving. All is well with me though. Sent me to the E.R. for a few hours but no more than a swelled up knee and ankle and some bruised ribs. Luckily i was by myself. I was hit on the passenger side by a lady who ran a red light at 10:30 at night. By the way SHE got a DUI and a ride to the police shortly after the incident took place. I was joking with my wife around 2 am after the E.R visit and i told her "you know most people say they see their life flash beofre their eyes.....well all i could see was my elk season flash beofre my eyes."
Leaving tomorrow to hunt so I am a happy camper.

Good to hear you are OK!

Yes I was lucky and am very happy to be going hunting this weekend. Btw my wife did not think my joke was very funny.

ktowncamo

WKR
sanchomaes - the funny thing is I'm sure most of us would imagine the same thing flashing before our eyes. Glad to hear you're ok and headed into the hills shortly.